Spring perch frame rust... fixable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very fixable... You'll have to replace the perch, it will have to be welded on. You should weld on plating after cutting out the cancer. Be sure to get good paint outside and undercoating on the inside after the repair. I am sure you can find replacement perches online. I have gotten most of my stuff from Marlin crawler, All-pro offroad, and trail gear. All have good products so far.

Josh

looks like an opportunity to cut it out, plate it and then weld on some perches in the proper position for some chevy springs.

FYI... that is technically not the "perch", that is a spring hanger. The perch is the flat plate on the axle housing, where the spring "perches" on the axle.

To your question, be prepared for heartache as you start to cut that out. That to me looks like the beginning of a frame failure. Yup, you're gonna need to plate both sides of the frame and bottom, 1/8" is good although 3/16" is better if you can find it. BTDT, never again.

FYI... that is technically not the "perch", that is a spring hanger. The perch is the flat plate on the axle housing, where the spring "perches" on the axle.

lol... you're right. It was too late when I wrote that. :doh: I have perches on the brain. I was putting some new ones on my front axle and messed up, had cut them off and redo them. :bang:

In any case it can be repaired. But KLF may be right, beginnings of complete rust out... I have found when you see a bit of rust in one spot there are 5 other spots that you can't see that are nearly as bad, or worse.

Damn, I followed along and also wrote perch when I meant hanger. I would also be surprised if the rust was limited to just that part of the frame. Is that originally a CA truck? I live on the coast where rust is a problem but is typically not nearly that bad. Was the guy backing his trailer down into the salt water boat launch on a regular basis or what?

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I would love this as an excuse to tear the thing apart and set things straight, but that sort of goes against the reason I got the truck... since I didn't want to spend the time putting back together my crashed 84 (which incidentally already had the frame repaired and boxed when it came to me). I've been using my 88 FJ-62 for daily driver duty, which is fine since I only commute 15 miles round trip, but I wanted to keep it off the road for the winter... as it grew up in cali and has avoided salt every year.

I gotta get under there and _really_ assess what is what and how much cancer is lurking... I will report back when I get a chance to do that. Would have been smart to do that before handing over cash. sigh.

Thanks to all for the comments... it is real nice to have people's opinions.

Last edited:
I had an 84 back in 92-93 that was rotted around the spring hanger like that. On mine you could actually jack up the truck and the hanger would come right off the frame entirely. I traded it quick for a super clean 87 turbo pickup. But anyhow like KLF said this is probably like most New England trucks. What you can see isn't as bad as what you can't. Anything can be fixed with enough time, skill, and money. It's time to pull the gas tank and have a closer look.

If you put a marlin all pro or trail gear lift on it they give you brand new spring hangers and they get attached in different locations. would give you a chance to just lop the old ones out and repair the frame at your leisure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom