Split OEM Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But getting your mother in law to help you blow up the tyre on a dodgy one could see you charged with murder if they can prove you knew it was dodgy and that you set her up for her decapitation.

:D

i prob run 100 splits. never had or even heard of a failure. i sit on them and drink beer while i pump them up. its a myth

they are good if your careful i know 2 people who were killed by them and one person had half his face ripped off .i have delt with them for 40 years and no problems do some research on safely using them and good luck

I know a fellow that had three fingers ripped off because the ring was not set properly and it blew off. You have to be careful and make sure the ring is seated before inflating the tire.

Splits sound like a pain in the ass.
Not to mention how dangerous they can be.

At least in the US, while they aren't illegal, you're going to have a really hard time finding a tire shop willing to work on them.

I wouldn't bother.

I've only ever found one tire shop that'll do them. Now I do all my splits myself. Make sure the ring is seated right, clip the air hose on, and stand back.

I've only ever found one tire shop that'll do them. Now I do all my splits myself. Make sure the ring is seated right, clip the air hose on, and stand back.

What about giving the tire/ring/rim a couple wraps with a chain?

Pulled information I posted before from other threads ... There are many threads about split rims

There are several very good threads about doing it yourself... @lostmarbles has one... I have one... @Bear gots one

They are not your typical "trucker" split rim...they are split ring design...IMO pretty safe when you use the typical procations when mounting...in all the countries that run toyota split rims for these past what 30+ years...I have yet to hear of a single fatality...or injury for that matter.

...just to expand a bit further...here are differences with toyota rims over other style of split rims...

1st pic is Toyota Semidrop Center Rim with removable flange on the ring this is what makes it much safer than most other split rims...full bead applys pressure as it has a full flange base and deep lock

attachment.php

2nd pic is Flat Rim *unsafe style*

attachment.php

3rd pic is the Semidrop Center Rims (left one no flange base *unsafe style* and removable full base flange on right (semi-safe rim :) )

attachment.php

4th pic advanced flat rim *unsafe style*

attachment.php

5th pic is grader rim *unsafe style*

attachment.php

6th pic is earthmover rim *unsafe style*

attachment.php

Big tire company here in the Northwest (Les Schwab) didn't even flinch when I brought mine in. Quoted me a price for tires and away they went had everything done in about 40 minutes.

Big tire company here in the Northwest (Les Schwab) didn't even flinch when I brought mine in. Quoted me a price for tires and away they went had everything done in about 40 minutes.

Most Discount Tire stores around here still have the safety cages for doing splits. My son did lots of them when he worked there.

I'm sorry I brought up the subject of danger/safety considering the fact that I run splits and wouldn't consider running any other type of wheel.

The big enemy is rust and I solved that problem by hot-dipping (galvanising):
Splits.jpg

And I thought most of us here are DIY-ers so changing tyres should be just something else we do ourselves (and to our anal-retentive standards).

All my best memories from "back in their day" involve 40-series running splits. And in outback Oz, having splits was almost mandatory back then (unless you preferred to have a big roof-rack loaded with spare wheels/tyres) .

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom