1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spark plug removal

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by bad_religion_au, May 29, 2003.

1. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

tried pulling my spark plugs today (for 1st time on new rig) and they wouldn't budge an inch, any tips? i'm too scared of breaking them off, so any little tips, it's a 2F if that really matters

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Get some PB Blaster and soak down those puppies. Wait an hour or two, and give it another shot. I wouldn't use any air tool, just either a good long torque wrench or regular ratchet with breaker bar, I find on stuck nuts and bolts impacts and air ratchets make the problem worse by snapping off heads of bolts and breaking the bolts nuts are on. Then again my mechanic used an impact to remove my sparkplugs right after I bought the cruiser (same day,) cause he was closer to where i bought it than I am, and he didn't have any problems, but he's more skilled than I am. :dunno:

3. toddslater

toddslater SILVER Star

Also,

Do it when the engine is at operating temp...every little bit of heat helps.

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

wd-40

any excess that enters the piston will easy burn or be blown out in the first compressions.

5. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Thats the only thing I'm worried about, I don't know if PB blaster is flammable or not, and I don't think it would do anything to the rings or anything like that, but wd-40 or cheap oil based spray lube might be better than the specialty penetrating oils like PB and Liquid Wrench for that reason.

6. Pete112

Pete112

PB Blaster will definetely burn off even if not as well as WD-40. Also, make sure you use a 6 point socket rather than the 12. Last thing you want to do is put all kinds of torque into getting it off only to end up with a round spark plug. That will make it really tough!

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Oh yeah, go get an actual spark plug 6 pointer-they are the perfect depth, 6 points, and have the rubber deal inside so that you are less likely to accidently try to take it at an angle and break the sucker up.

8. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

PB Blaster over WD-40 any time when you have to loosen something. WD is a fine light lube or water dispersant, and sure is better than no penitrating oil, but, as stated before on this list, PB Blaster is the Shiznit.

9. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Wonder who said that? :D
    Words to live by....

10. Jman

Jman

And when you put the new ones in, put a little antiseize on the threads--you don't have to go nuts, just a little will help when you need to pull them again.

Actually, an old hot rodder told me he used to put cherry Maalox on them (cheaper and less messy than antiseize). Anyone else hear that one?

11. Chef

Chef

Never use a torque wrench for breaking things loose!!!...:)They're for tightening...use a breaker bar or long handled ratchet for loosening...six point sockets are a fine idea...

12. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Why not? I like using the torque wrench cause its about a foot longer than my 1/2" drive ratchet, and I don't have a breaker bar. I just crank it up to its highest setting and wrench away. Oops, guess I shouldn't have used it to break loose every single bolt on the entire suspension that the impact didn't take off... :stupid:  I guess it hurts the innards of it or something?

13. archie

archie

I agree with everybody but with the added advice of blowing out any debris with compressed air from the socket area before spraying any lubricant. This ensures no foreign material entering the engine(ex. sand and mud like substance that will clump together when lubricated). slip over an ever increasing longer pipe over your rachet wrench and push slowly till loose. I thought that my 62 plugs were on so tight that they were threaded the opposite direction. Good luck.