Spark plug condition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am periodically smelling a sweet smell from the exhaust. So I will be renting the block test kit from AutoZone to test for a leaking head gasket.

I have never had a vehicle with a head gasket leak that wasn't immediately apparent. So I pulled spark plug #6 and #2 (for comparison). I would have pulled them all, but didn't have time. There are no visible leaks that I can see. Any preliminary input would be helpful.

DSC04071.jpg

DSC04072.jpg

DSC04074.jpg

#6 in next post
DSC04071.jpg
DSC04072.jpg
DSC04074.jpg

No appreciable difference in appearance. Slightly less build-up on #6, but not what I would consider steam cleaned as has been mentioned as a symptom.

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04076.jpg

DSC04077.jpg
DSC04075.jpg
DSC04076.jpg
DSC04077.jpg

Some may have experienced a "sweet" smell from coolant infiltration into the combustion chambers, but I've never had that experience. In my opinion, you'd have to be losing a copious amount of coolant in order to actually change the smell of the exhaust, and by that point, there should be enough steam being produced that it should look like a nuclear power plant cooling tower :) Have you noticed a rise in your coolant temp. or a drop in your coolant level? Those would be the first two places I'd look. Also, check for coolant leaking from hoses......don't assume the sweet smell is coming from the exhaust.

Also, do you know the age of those plugs? They appear to be the correct color, but they also look very worn! Recently, I changed the plugs on one of my 80s (one with 188,000 miles) that had had the engine rebuilt. The guy rebuilt/changed practically everything on the engine, but apparently he didn't bother to change the plugs. When I replaced them, I would not at all be surprised if I found out they were original! I had started to develop a slight miss, so I decided to do a really good tune-up. I replaced cap/rotor/wires/plugs. When I pulled the plugs, they looked much like yours, only a bit worse (all six had about .070 gap, when they're supposed to have .031!) In any event, what I'm trying to say is, your plugs look very worn to me. replace them, and see if anything changes.........I can tell you, mine runs like a different truck! At the same time, look for any weeping of coolant from any hoses, heater control valve, etc. Hopefully, you'll find a different source for the smell you mentioned...............

Thanks for the response. I have looked for coolant leaks, and don't seem to have any. I have only smelled the sweet smell without trying a couple of time. When purposely looking (smelling) for it, I found it at the tailpipe. It is fairly faint and I have to be directly in the exhaust flow. I can't remember where I was when I smelled it the first couple of times. It may have been more confined than my parking spot, so the smell may have built up some.

I have noticed a bit of white smoke at cold start-up in cooler weather, but I have only had the LC for about 2 weeks. Of course, I know this is more than likely normal. The PO didn't drive it enough to notice.

It turned yellow.

Well according to the AutoZone test kit, I have combustion gases in my radiator. I did get a little coolant contamination from the red coolant, but the blue liquid was turning yellow before this happened.

The engine still runs fine, and doesn't smoke (I won't be using it until it is repaired however). So how likely is it that just the head gasket failed, and I don't have to worry about a cracked head or block?

How much work are others usually having done to the head while it is off?

I guess I should be a little :mad:, :crybaby:, or :bang:. However, I enjoy working on my vehicles when I have a second car, and the piece of mind will be well worth it.

Flush it and put a can of Bars leak 1100 in it and see what happens. I know people here are real fond of their fzj80s, but they are old enough that they have entered " beater" status and can be fixed with things like Bar's lead for a few more years until you want to get another beater.

It did turn yellow, BUT...

...I went back to AutoZone today, and re-rented the block tester (part #27145-rent the test kit $25.00+tax-purchase test fluid $7.99+tax-get rental fee back when returned). I did get a little coolant contamination yesterday:mad:, and since their are no other signs of a head gasket leak other than the sweet smell at the exhaust, I though why not test again. I already purchased the test fluid, and would get the kit fee back.

First though, I had to run a little experiment. I put a little of the blue test fluid in a bottle and added some of my red coolant. While just a little turned the blue liquid green, slightly more turned it yellow. Therefore confirming the likelihood of a false positive with my first test.:bang: :eek:

So, I removed more coolant from the radiator to drop the level further away from the tester, and wouldn't you know it, I do not have a head gasket leak :whoops: :) :clap:. A test method to verify the block tester is working properly is laid out on the fluid bottle.

You can actually achieve a positive test result using your breath near the test tube intake. This test is to confirm that the tester is clean after testing. You flush it with fresh water and then perform the same test as with a radiator except you aspirate your breath through it (you do not have to put your mouth on the device).

So instead of testing in this manner after a cleaning, I tested the same fluid that I had used on my Land Cruiser. My breath turned the fluid yellow, while the gases in the radiator had not.

So it looks like I am out of the woods, but I may retest again while I still have the kit.

Pin_Head said,
Flush it and put a can of Bars leak 1100 in it and see what happens.
While I might use Bars Leak in my Celica, since a head gasket repair would cost more than the value of the vehicle, I would not use it in my LC unless it was an emergency. Thank you for your input though.

Would it be of any value to send a sample of your oil out to a lab like Blackstone??

Just change the plugs and enjoy your land cruiser and get an aftermarket temp gauge and monitor your coolant levels.
The Factory temp gauge is junk and if it gets into the red it is probably already to late.
You are ready to much into things.
When it is cold outside my truck throws alot of steam from the exhaust when I start it up.
But when it is warmed up it does not do it at all.
My exhaust smells sweet if that is what you call it but my coolant levels are fine.
I do not worry about it.
If your head gasket was going it would smoke like crazy

I have plugs and other tune-up items on the way. I ordered from beno (Onur at American Toyota- for the very few of you that didn't already know). He's also sending the various seals I will need to replace when I change my oil pump seal.

It was a pleasure ordering from him, and their "list" prices were better than my local prices. With the Mud discount I saved, almost to the dollar, 50% of my local quoted price.

Thanks everyone for your comments,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom