Spare key won't work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a key cut at Lowe's for the Seqouia and tried to use it today. Strangest thing I've seen happened. The engine would turn over but would not start, and would continue turning over until you flipped the key back to the off position. Basically you would flick it once to the start position and it would continually turn over in the on/acc. position.

Why would the key I had made not start it? Is there a chip? More puzzling - why was the starter stuck open?

Started normally when I used the factory keys.

I know this is old, but to answer your questions, Its a key that has to be programed with Techstream and your starter is not stuck. Your vehicle is made to do that. It goes until running by software. My guess it's from the vehicles that have push button start and just incorporated to the other Toyotas. I just programed one of my keys.

programKey.jpg

No clue what Techstream is. I have an '07, so maybe this came after mine?

Lowes keys will never start a 2nd Tundra. They are not chipped. You need a programmable key and have it programmed. Techstream is toyotas programming and diagnostic software. You can get a cable and software cheap or you can just go to a locksmith who has it.
And yes techstream is for an 07

I think the Toyota dealer charged me less than $40 for a cut key with a chip. Programming is where they steal your money. You can buy the techstream software with cable for cheaper than them programing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom