Soda Blasting (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soda Blast

The Eastwood style soda blasters are designed for small projects, not an entire vehicle. They are converted sand blasters and don't do soda very well and they don't do anything about moisture control in the air stream. Soda is water soluble and the air has to be "bone dry" or it will melt and clog in the pot. They don't tell you this and try to sell you expensive soda full of additional chemicals to try to make it flow. They also don't correctly inform the method to wash the metal off when your done - HoldTight 102 is the best product on the market for this.

I know soda blast contractors up and down the east coast and beyond and can provide referrals to anyone that asks.

Stacey @ www.ChesapeakeSodaClean.com 410-271-2652

Soda Blast Your Hard Top

Maybe. You'll have to try a test spot. It's going to depend on the type of paint, number of layers and the fiberglass. Newer polyurethane and epoxy paints can be tough for any media to strip, so that's why you just have to try a test patch. We do that on any fiberglass car to make sure everybody is going to be happy with the outcome. Stacey

Stacey, thanks for the info; can I use an "inline" dryer at the compressors outlet?.... would this help solve the moisture problem with the "Eastwood" unit?..............you are right.........the Eastwood media is very pricey:eek:...have tried to find someone in the Tuscaloosa area that soda blasts but till now am hitting a wall:frown:

Lou

Soda Blast & Air Quality

You can try an in-line moisture trap or even several of them, but they may not be enough or of the right type. You really need an air cooler or refergerated unit before the moisture trap to condense the moisture. You can get a lot more moisture out of cold air than from hot air.
If you are in Alabama, I have a good Soda Works dealer friend in Georgia that may be able to find you a contractor. Call Lanny Porter at Nu-Tech Soda Blasting 770-480-6763. I specialize in the coastal states of the eastern seaboard - Florida to Maine.
Stacey

I'm always skeptical of the cheapy versions of any tool. I think my friend's commercial unit was something like $20-30K.

I have enough trouble with moisture in the cheap 100# sand blasting pot I use occasionally. I wouldn't gamble on getting the Eastwood soda/other blaster to run reliably.

Did call Lanny Porter and got an estimate of 135$ per hour.....estimate to do an engine compartment 3 hours:frown: abit pricey for me cause would have to haul truck about 250 miles :frown:.....they seem to do a very nice job.....just a bit out my my price range:frown:........need some one local in Alabama; Lanny is north of Atlanta

Lou

Soda Blast Stuff

1 - Did you ask Lanny if he knew anyone in AL? Have you tried a Google search?

2 - I have a new small 12 volt commercial air cooler/dryer available that will work on any sand or soda pot set-up of up to 60 CFM @ 125 psi. $1,295.00 and I'll pay the freight.

dryer is out of my reach

:frown: Stacey; thanks for the follow up but the price of the dryer puts it way out of my price range; and will still have to purchase the soda blaster...appreciate all the help and info; will just have to figure out another maybe not as good but more affordable way to strip old paint off;

Lou

1 - Did you ask Lanny if he knew anyone in AL? Have you tried a Google search?

2 - I have a new small 12 volt commercial air cooler/dryer available that will work on any sand or soda pot set-up of up to 60 CFM @ 125 psi. $1,295.00 and I'll pay the freight.

Ok, I understand. If your going to abrasive blast it, look into crushed glass. A great, new abrasive that were using. The fine grade (70-100 mesh) can be used on body panels, but be careful of warpage.
Stacey

I called a guy here in Tuscaloosa that had a add in the Classi Tides... He wanted $500. just to do the hood and right fender.. My jaw hit the floor. He said it was cleaner but the soda cost more. Fisrt time I heard about soda blasting so I dont know if he was telling the truth but after that quote I just did it myself with my old pressure pot.

cost of soda blasting

Damn, :frown:my truck didn't cost 500$; just need to clean up the engine compartment; not buy one!.......what pressure pot are you using and compressor driving it? TIA
Lou

I called a guy here in Tuscaloosa that had a add in the Classi Tides... He wanted $500. just to do the hood and right fender.. My jaw hit the floor. He said it was cleaner but the soda cost more. Fisrt time I heard about soda blasting so I dont know if he was telling the truth but after that quote I just did it myself with my old pressure pot.

Soda Blast Pricing

That's too high. We get $160.00 per hour here in the mid-Atlantic and my buddy in Georgia gets $135.00 for "in shop" service. Your hood and fender should take about 1.5 to 2 hours + or -. I can only guess your quote is from a contractor using inefficient equipment and or soda. His costs must be too high. Stacey

Stacey; not only is 500$ high but have not been able to contact him...........taking it to your buddy in Georgia is about a 5-6 hour ride and then have to wait till it is done......a couple of days maybe ......would prefer someone local or a soda blaster that I can rent & use or purchase on my budget

Lou

Hey Lou,

I'm in the same boat right now. I was looking at the eastwood soda blaster but the shipping was a deal breaker ($100) I ended up with a Harbor Freight 100lb blaster, it was $129. It can be converted to soda or whatever. I still need to find a compressor but the only ones that I've heard that can keep up are $450 on up. I have a little compressor that I used to try it out and it's pretty cool how it takes the rust & paint right off. I was using glass beads from harbor freight ($$) not a smart trial media :doh: Next up is some cheap sand. I bought a good respirator so I don't keel over dead from the silica. I'll be happy if I can get the interior blasted, the outside I'm thinking would take me forever and I'd end up warping everything. Good luck.

Chet

Soda Blast - Eastwoods

Sorry that there is no one affordable close by. I have looked at the Eastwoods stuff very carefully and thay are just too small to get anything done except small parts. The media is way too expensive and the freight is a deal breaker on it. I have guys coming to my shop to buy a bag or two of soda and it's just for doing little stuff with them. I have mentioned it before, but crushed glass (not beads) is an excellent replacement for silica sand and the like. 70-100 for a smooth finish and 40-70 for a heavier finish or heavy rust. No silica in it! Good luck.

affordable soda blasting

Chet, am in a similar predictament.......just cannot afford the 150 + an hour for comercial soda blasting.........+ having to take the truck 200 miles away... a comercial soda blaster at over 1500$ is also out of my reach:hmm:would like to hear from someone who does not sell blasting equipment so I feel that I am getting an unbiased opinion for things........hate to be sceptical but if you sell "Chevys" they are the best thing since sliced bread and everything else is total crap!.......I value "busterblastereast's" opinion but he also makes a living selling a very high quality comercial grade type of soda blaster that is way out of my budget ability.....gosh, there are many things I would love to have in my garage including a MB Unimog...BUT have to work with reality and with what I can afford if it can get the job done even if it takes me more effort and time......don't need to sodablast comercially; just try to clean things up as best as I can even if it takes longer........any first hand opinions are welcome from members in similar situation.......TIA

Lou

Hey Lou,

I'm in the same boat right now. I was looking at the eastwood soda blaster but the shipping was a deal breaker ($100) I ended up with a Harbor Freight 100lb blaster, it was $129. It can be converted to soda or whatever. I still need to find a compressor but the only ones that I've heard that can keep up are $450 on up. I have a little compressor that I used to try it out and it's pretty cool how it takes the rust & paint right off. I was using glass beads from harbor freight ($$) not a smart trial media :doh: Next up is some cheap sand. I bought a good respirator so I don't keel over dead from the silica. I'll be happy if I can get the interior blasted, the outside I'm thinking would take me forever and I'd end up warping everything. Good luck.

Chet

That's too high. We get $160.00 per hour here in the mid-Atlantic and my buddy in Georgia gets $135.00 for "in shop" service. Your hood and fender should take about 1.5 to 2 hours + or -. I can only guess your quote is from a contractor using inefficient equipment and or soda. His costs must be too high. Stacey

Stacy, can you post or send me your buddies name in Georgia?

Tross, I hav a 74 cowl and frame that I may want to do, and I am in Gainesville.
Maby we could go down together and get a better deal on volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom