Slider mounting questions - U-bolt source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to work with a local shop to get some sliders built in the next month or so. I am curious as to where to find the correct size u-bolts? I can't seem to find any that are wide enough to fit around the frame and short enough to accommodate the ~2" wide frame and steel mounting face.

Other options...

-drill the frame, grade 8 bolts. I don't really want to drill the frame though. I'd be better off just welding it probably. Any harm in drilling the frame?

-make a 3 sided, U shaped channel to fit on both sides and bottom of the frame, grade 8 bolt on the top to secure it. Would this be strong enough with only 1 bolt per mount? I would think so since the overall surface area to create friction would be very large, much larger than a u bolt. I guess the concern would be that the pressure is only coming from the top. see attached picture

Thanks!
mounting solution.png

Last edited:
>snicker<

Can you not wrap the u-bolt around the frame like the metal-tech sliders?

Or just buy some from the guys at metal-tech...

-Nick-

That would be my plan A, but can't seem to find the correct U-bolts. I guess I can call metal-tech or slee and see if they can sell be just the u-bolts. I had thought about it but thought I'd see if anyone on here knew a possible place to source them from.

I drilled the frame and used backing plates. IMO at least on my 4runner the web of the frame rail on one side is not strong enough.

Your frame already has lots of holes in it. Are 5-10 more going to meaningfully compromise the strength? I would say no.

The next issue is whether you can physically drill where you need. On a 4runner it's a bitch to get a drill where you need it to make the holes and I wouldn't do it again if I didn't have to.

Finally with respect to wanting some long u-bolts, you can have someone with an iron worker or some other type of press make them for you. Buy some rod, figure out the length, thread both ends, and put a couple bends in it. Another option is to simply use two straight bolts and section of flat bar with a hole in each end to simulate the effect of a u-bolt.

good luck.

well an option that jumps on me it's the ARB steps fitting kit .. in a second though it could be ARB / TJM or Ironman .. if you source the fitting kit that it's just bolts .. you get right size U Bolts of your frame and you are done ..

shoupe89 said:
Or just buy some from the guys at metal-tech...

-Nick-

they have a kit that includes u bolts nuts washers and plates that you can make mounts from. I bought it from them that's what I plan to use is a basis for my sliders.

Sent from my DroidCruiser

you should be able to get ubolts made at a local spring shop. Google shows this one for Tulsa but there may be more:

Spring Steering and Suspensions from Inland Truck Parts Company

If you ask a local offroad shop they will know for sure.

I have made half a dozen sets of sliders, two for hundred series, with the three sided bracket design and it works great and has more clearance than the u-bolt design but does not allow any margin for error.

here is a set I built for a local club member's 100 with the brackets:

attachment.php

i dont know which option is the best, but i needed new ubolts not long ago and i went to a spring shop local here in tampa, and they actually made the u bolts to size. i just had to tell them how long i wanted them and how wide.

ok awesome, thanks for all the help guys!

When we originally came up with our sliders for the FJ40 and wanted to use the u-bolt design, it became quickly apparent that it won't work on 78 and older models. A u-bolt simply won't clear the gas tank sump unless you have a 79 or newer that has the gas tank tuck up under the tub.

LT said:
When we originally came up with our sliders for the FJ40 and wanted to use the u-bolt design, it became quickly apparent that it won't work on 78 and older models. A u-bolt simply won't clear the gas tank sump unless you have a 79 or newer that has the gas tank tuck up under the tub.

Welcome LT.

I'll be calling you guys for some slider stuff next week

Here's how I did mine - strong & removable....

We left the slider mounts as just 2" steel tube. Then we built "hangars" on the frame. The sliders are held in position by some non-grade 8 bolts, as the hangars really take up the loads (primarily in the vertical direction).

Cam Cruiser built the Sliders for me. Very stout.

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010009.jpg

First post in "Hardcore". Amazing (to me).
P1010005.jpg
P1010006.jpg
P1010009.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom