shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have to use the tiny McPherson style coil spring compressors buy two sets and throw three or four of those bad boys on there.......I don't trust them.

Like raydouble said be careful. Find the compressors with the narrowest spring mounts. The ones I use are from NAPA.

The absolute easiest and safest way is to find a place with a wall-mounted compressor and have them do the swap for you. My local Big O Tire shop had one. Pull the assembly from the truck and take it to them with the new shock.

I've done a few of these, and they aren't that bad. Just rent the spring compressor from Vato Zone, put each tool on each side of the spring and work the compressors down evenly until the spring is loose in the strut. Replace the shock and whatever else your messing with and then undo the spring compressor. Again, evenly release the tension on both sides of the spring so it doesn't go shooting on you.

Harbor freight also has a pretty good deal on spring compressors. I think I saw them in there catalog for like 15 bucks last time. Could be a good excuse to add something to the tool box!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom