She won't start now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All the questions about filters. Got that sorted and Thanks! I now have a slightly bigger issue. First, I have been using the Donkey quite frequently - made to run and not sit around, right. Noticed a couple of weird starting issues. A bit of chattering when going from glow plug warmup to start. Put it on the Battery Tender and saw that it definitely needed that. All grenn and went out for a Sunday drive but no joy. Turning key to warmup position resulted in a rapid machine gun like chatter and moved the key to start position to see what was there and a lower pitch slower chatter. Like relays attempting to close but failing.
I did provide a new Battery of 12V, 750 CCA and 125AH. Same issue. I am including a picture of the Black box mounted on the inside firewall behind the A/C unit that is making the racket. All fuses are intact that I could see.
A point in a good direction will be appreciated. I don't want Donkey to be driveway art for to long.
Caveat: this is a refurbished and obviously modified unit from Costa Rica.

IMG_1527.jpg

Is it at 12v system? (up here in Canada, most of the BJ40s are 24v). Do you have a multimeter to test for 12v at relay?

Relays tend to chatter when they don't get full voltage. Voltage drops are caused by resistance in the circuit. The most common cause of resistance in automotive circuitry is a bad ground. See if you can find where that circuit is grounded, and give it a good clean with some emery paper or the like.

I hadn't thought of 24v. The lights and wipers are runner bright and fast so I suspected 12v. The ground issues sound that a great place to begin. Thanks!

The vehicle is a 12V beast. Found the Glow Plug relay contacts in bad shape. dressed them up just like the old points and they worked OK. Got another set and they are perfect and work great. But....either the starter motor or solenoid has packed it in. I will be removing the starter this weekend and hope to ascertain what is wrong. Are there any threads out there concerning the early B engine starter/solenoid? TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom