Setting link mounts on Tranny crossmember? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cascadecruisers.com
So.... as it turns out my frame side link mounts are almost exactly in line with where I need to build my tranny crossmember. I already have and issue with the the tire rubbing on the link so I was thinking about integrating the link mounts into the tranny crossmember to help inboard them a bit.

The only downfall I can see is if the crossmember is removable then when the crossmember is taken out, I would lose the link mounts as well... any other pitfalls I should think about?

DSC02226.jpg

so you want to move the frame lower mount to the inside of the frame, rather than the outside where it is in the photo? Or are you talking about the Upper Control Arm?

I would avoid having the Link mounts tie into the cross member, you could always put a slight bend in that lower arm, or move the axle side closer to center..

so you want to move the frame mounts to the inside of the frame, rather than the outside where it is in the photo?

Correct. Not by too much though, say 1"-2" max? I was going to use rectangular tube for the crossmember and kinda "french" in the existing mounts into the rec. tube. The link mounts are almost dead nuts in line with tranny adapter mount. I wish i had a pic of that but I'm still here at work.

Here's a couple pics of what I have on hand:

DSC02223.jpg

DSC02220.jpg

those lower links put a tremendous amount of stress on a crossmember, my friend has a double triangulated setup with a crossmember for the lowers and he bent the crap out of a 2" square .25 thick tube....he wound up having to make one out of chromoly 3/8 to get it to hold up......so if you do it make it beefy

mines made out of 2 x 3" .250 tubing supported against the bellypan..

Beef is fairly important..

Nice set up. Can you send some pics of the Panhard? I'm doing a 3 link on my 55, and looking for ideas(problems already solved).

Thanks

the front end was put on hold until I finish up setting up the rear leaves. At this point I'm steering away from integrating the crossmember and link mounts together but nothing is in stone up there yet.

Why not weld tabs to the top inside edge of the frame rails. Have your trans crossmember run straight under the body the 4" or so that you'll need for clearance, then dive down to the bottom of the trans at a 45* angle?

Keep in mind that on a 60 the frame flexes quite a bit. Consider how many people bust the DS front engine mount..

If you use a propeller type tcase mount you have a good chance of twisting the tranny/tcase apart..

Also, that upper link has a TON of bend to it. Hope it holds. Upper axle heim orientation is incorrect as well.

Keep in mind that on a 60 the frame flexes quite a bit. Consider how many people bust the DS front engine mount..

If you use a propeller type tcase mount you have a good chance of twisting the tranny/tcase apart..

Also, that upper link has a TON of bend to it. Hope it holds. Upper axle heim orientation is incorrect as well.

The coilover hoops will be connected over the motor which should eliminate some of the frame flex. In addition to that I'm planning on running a crossmember at the tranny and for the 205. The propeller type won't work for me.

it's hard to tell from the pics but is there any triangulation?

Are you referring to mine or Tapage's pic? My lowers have some triangulation but not a ton. The upper also has a bit of triangulation but nothing significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom