Service Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I take the wife's 100 in this morning to have the 90k service done. I tell them to take care of it and bag the pump and belt and put it in the back. I get a call from the service manager while on our way to pick it up and he tells me that the belt "slipped off" while they were making sure everything is all right and that they will have a rental for me for the rest of the weekend. Apparently the tensioner was not tightened. :mad::eek::mad:

My concern is that it did "slip off" that it might have caused some internal damage. This is the whole reason we did this in the first place is so this would not happen.

So, what can I do or say to make sure everything is all right? IE, I'm coming to the people that know more about Land Cruisers than the people that built them, to make sure my knowledge that I gain here gets this taken care of correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Greenpea

So, I take the wife's 100 in this morning to have the 90k service done. I tell them to take care of it and bag the pump and belt and put it in the back. I get a call from the service manager while on our way to pick it up and he tells me that the belt "slipped off" while they were making sure everything is all right and that they will have a rental for me for the rest of the weekend. Apparently the tensioner was not tightened. :mad::eek::mad:

My concern is that it did "slip off" that it might have caused some internal damage. This is the whole reason we did this in the first place is so this would not happen.

So, what can I do or say to make sure everything is all right? IE, I'm coming to the people that know more about Land Cruisers than the people that built them, to make sure my knowledge that I gain here gets this taken care of correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Greenpea
Nothing to worry about. Its not like the timing belt slipped off. You will be fine. Sleep well tonight.

If it was the timing belt that did slip off, then would I have something to worry about?

I had indeed assumed that you and they were talking about the timing belt if they need to keep the truck longer.

Then, yes, there is potential for trouble since these are interference engines, IIANM.

It's time to ask some serious questions and have things on record. Be careful how you handle this. If they know there is potential engine damage they may not want to lay it all on paper, so ask the questions carefully to maximize your info acquisition. At the very least insist that it all be put down eventually in the computerized records and in writing for you. And you need to find out exactly what they did or didn't do. Did it jump or just slip or ?

Not quite sure how you'd figure out damage without opening it all up again, looking at the valves etc. Maybe you should tell them that you'd like to see it or have somebody see it. (I don't recall if they would have to open it up all the way just to shift the belt a bit if it didn't jump off. Somebody having done the job themselves can tell you better. But if they have to open it up all the way, you might want to have things checked and see it yourself?) Be prepared for some resistance from the dealer and the tech who screwed up. If they are really uncooperative, you could probably involve Toy or Lexus with some success.

Then again, maybe all is fine.

And if it's the serpentine belt OTOH, then likely no biggie, I think.

Good luck.

(sorry, don't mean to sound dramatic, but in the event that something is wrong, you can save yourself a lot of aggravation by moving smartly right away and going in full preparedness mode)

Last edited:
The way the service manager was talking made it sound like it was the timing belt.

I'll know more on Monday. But I'll make sure this is all documented for sure.

Thanks e9999

You'll/They'll know when they get it back on right (if its the t-belt) because if any internal damage was done it will have misfire codes. Even if they are that is about all the damage that it will cause, if it did at all. I might recommend to the svc mgr if it goes that far you maybe want one of the master techs working on it, ie if the heads have to come off.

If it was the serp belt it is nothing, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if it was the serp belt they would've put it back on and you'd have had it for the weekend.

This is an honest mistake and have seen it before, just bigger consequences on an interference motor.

hth

You'll/They'll know when they get it back on right (if its the t-belt) because if any internal damage was done it will have misfire codes. Even if they are that is about all the damage that it will cause, if it did at all. I might recommend to the svc mgr if it goes that far you maybe want one of the master techs working on it, ie if the heads have to come off.

If it was the serp belt it is nothing, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if it was the serp belt they would've put it back on and you'd have had it for the weekend.

This is an honest mistake and have seen it before, just bigger consequences on an interference motor.

hth

Could you elaborate a bit about the misfire codes? You mean because they tried to fire it up with the belt on wrong or off and the timing was way off? But what does that tell you about the valves possibly being damaged or not?
Are we talking more likely about the belt jumping or simply being set improperly, you think?

Thanks in advance.

Greenpea

Good luck. I hope it all works out without any major issues!

The service manager was really great and documented everything. Seems to be running great with no problems. They did a full check on everything documented.

He was impressed by how much I knew about the Cruiser. So a BIG THANK YOU to all of you guys!

Could you elaborate a bit about the misfire codes? You mean because they tried to fire it up with the belt on wrong or off and the timing was way off? But what does that tell you about the valves possibly being damaged or not?
Are we talking more likely about the belt jumping or simply being set improperly, you think?

Sorry, I was kind of unclear in the description. I should read before i post. Anyway, the most likely damage that could've occured (glad everything turned out alright by the way) is the valves could've become bent from piston contact due to the belt being off more than a few teeth. Bent valves would result in poor compression and misfire codes.

The service manager was really great and documented everything. Seems to be running great with no problems. They did a full check on everything documented.

He was impressed by how much I knew about the Cruiser. So a BIG THANK YOU to all of you guys!

glad things sound OK. Do you know what exactly they did check and how?

Sorry, I was kind of unclear in the description. I should read before i post. Anyway, the most likely damage that could've occured (glad everything turned out alright by the way) is the valves could've become bent from piston contact due to the belt being off more than a few teeth. Bent valves would result in poor compression and misfire codes.

got it, the codes being the result of the bent valves then, not a separate issue.

They opened her up. They checked the valves and pistons so I was told and documented.

They opened her up. They checked the valves and pistons so I was told and documented.

wow! if they really took the heads off, that is a major job. Or maybe used a borescope?

Tell them you want a warranty on the engine work that they did. You want to be covered in case a problem comes up later.

Thats a great idea. I'm going to work this angle this afternoon. They have been great so far no complaints what so ever, after it's all said and done.

out of curiosity, maybe you should flat out ask them specifically "did you remove both heads to look at valves and pistons?" and see if they give you a clear *yes*. If so, good for them (and you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom