Seats vs under seat tool box (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1968 with the underseat tool box. I've already picked out seats and a new console, and originally I was pretty set on saving the tool box and using it. Now, I'm not so sure. If I remove the tool box, can I use the later (73+ I think)seat brackets that are available from CCOT and others?

Also interested in the seat/console frame that btb sells

I installed 74 bucket seats in my 68 forty years ago. I had cut the side of the tool box for seat frame that supports both the driver's and passenger's on the inside. On the front out side I used a hard top back door support for the front left to space it outside the tool box. Can get the. Lid off and use the tool box but obviously not as easy as without a seat above the box.

With my 67 FJ40, I used seats from a mini Cooper, build custom brackets and was able to maintain the tool box. Used the existing seat frames. Without much storage the tool box is something I was reluctant to lose.

The only issue is the passenger seat is about an inch higher than the driver’s seat. Hard to notice unless you’re looking for it.

I was considering pulling the box and inside the cab fuel tank (I have long range gas tank in the rear), to get more seat options but that seemed like more than I needed.

Good luck, curious to see what route you take.

I had purchased a seat frames kite from cumminscruiser and a buddy and I were going to weld it up (he has the welder). Unfortunately, I don't have access to the welder anymore so I'm trying to see if I remove the box can I do a bolt in option.

What's in the rig now is PO custom and it's in bad shape.

Came across some pictures I took a few years back on how I installed 74 bucket seats in my 68 and kept the tool box with the lid. The left front I used a rear hard top bracket to locate the seat bracket outside the tool box.
IMG_20180722_082324835.jpg
IMG_20180722_082141441_LL.jpg
IMG_20180722_082050384_LL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom