seat belt replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi FJs
On my 1990 FJ80, I want to swap the driver's seat belt with the much better-shaped 3rd row seat belt. (and keep the color.)
Is it difficult to swap just the belt on my own? I can't find the instruction.
The mechnisem has a DO NOT REMOVE label on it, and a mechanic told me that there is a datonator inside... danger diy?
Last, the 3rd row seat back is too wide, so I'll have to grind it to fit. Any problem doing so?
Appreciate the support

20230515_080452.jpg

Last edited:
If it is anything like the other 4 rear ones I just removed, it should be easy. It is a couple of bolts on my '94.

14mm head on the bottom where it anchors, 14mm at the top where the strap goes through, 14mm at the bottom and a 10mm at the top of the recoil assembly.

I have a new drivers belt that I just bought from Boch Toyota I need to install soon, so I'll report back if I find anything different.

Also, I don't think your '90 (or my '94) have any pyrotechnic pretensioners or anything.

Also, there are places that will redo the belt part - the one I looked at was $99 plus shipping. $120 for new webbing versus $150 for a new assembly.

Also, I don't know if the 2nd or third row are the same part as the front. Maybe check some parts sites to cross reference. https://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth...iser--base--4-5l-l6-gas/electrical--seat-belt Look like different part numbers to me.

Here's the pic from the FSM.

1684185635368.png

Last edited:
If it is anything like the other 4 rear ones I just removed, it should be easy. It is a couple of bolts on my '94.

14mm head on the bottom where it anchors, 14mm at the top where the strap goes through, 14mm at the bottom and a 10mm at the top of the recoil assembly.

I have a new drivers belt that I just bought from Boch Toyota I need to install soon, so I'll report back if I find anything different.

Also, I don't think your '90 (or my '94) have any pyrotechnic pretensioners or anything.

Also, there are places that will redo the belt part - the one I looked at was $99 plus shipping. $120 for new webbing versus $150 for a new assembly.

Also, I don't know if the 2nd or third row are the same part as the front. Maybe check some parts sites to cross reference. https://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth...iser--base--4-5l-l6-gas/electrical--seat-belt Look like different part numbers to me.

Here's the pic from the FSM.

View attachment 3323834
thx CharlieS
the removel of the mechnisem is easy, replacing the bobbin (the actual belt from the 3rd row)is what i am not sure off, also why the" do not remove " lable?
thx again

Sent mine in to a shop. Risk vs. reward. Feeling your pain, if you're going to drop $300 in your 80 you want to do something "fun" or upgrade something. Not boring seat belts!

Last edited:
I think this is overly complicated. Can you not just move the whole assembly from the back to the front? Why do you need to try to move webbing from one to the other? Does it not fit? People who have done the swap was just swapped the assemblies....4 bolts total...they weren't unwinding and swapping the webbing that I know of.

simple swap would be best but i think there are 3 point/bolts on the rear vs 2 on the front, but ill have to verify.
also the buckle of the rear is too wide to lock in the front

simple swap would be best but i think there are 3 point/bolts on the rear vs 2 on the front, but ill have to verify.
also the buckle of the rear is too wide to lock in the front
The mechanism is location specific. Gravity works on the geometry of the location of the mechanism so you must swap the belt and buckle.
The third row belts will work but are about 8" shorter than the driver's location. I could not lean over to access the glove box due to the belt hitting the end.

You can pull a passenger front belt and install that in the driver's mechanism. The nice thing here is the passenger belt is about 6" longer than the driver's so for fat guys like me it's easier to move.

You must do two additional twists on the return spring prior to assembly to accommodate the longer belt.

The mechanism is location specific. Gravity works on the geometry of the location of the mechanism so you must swap the belt and buckle.
The third row belts will work but are about 8" shorter than the driver's location. I could not lean over to access the glove box due to the belt hitting the end.

You can pull a passenger front belt and install that in the driver's mechanism. The nice thing here is the passenger belt is about 6" longer than the driver's so for fat guys like me it's easier to move.

You must do two additional twists on the return spring prior to assembly to accommodate the longer belt.
the passanger side belt is even worse tham the driver side
will the 2nd row belt fit the driver side?

the passanger side belt is even worse tham the driver side
will the 2nd row belt fit the driver side?
Second row buckle is different and won't fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom