Builds "Sage" My 65-FJ45 finally makes it home! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Mark's, and my apologies for hijacking this amazing build. Windscreen hinges are parallel, the gaps around the bottom of the door are perfect and the windscreen base gasket is original to the car - and I couldn't get any more pressure on those twist knobs if I tried. I'll continue this discussion on my own thread, save cluttering up this here piece of art with my Australian junk!

Last edited:
No worries, I just wish I had an answer for you. With the level of expertise here on mud should able to get an answer to help you out. Maybe just a photo or two to help out.

Mark

Last edited:
IMG_1069.jpg
Hmmmm. These photos were taken haphazardly with my cell phone while I was driving west bound on I-40 in New Mexico on Oct 11 2014. Thought I might find the owner on here someday.
IMG_1070.JPG
Your 45?

Guambomb, no not me, but it looks like the same color. As Mark said; different Euro spec doors. It does look like it has splits though.

Hi Dom,

The truck is driving great. However I am still trying to figure out why the 4WD light on the dash is remaining on. We have looked at all the possible reasons with no luck yet. It's not a big deal at this time and we will get it figured out. It just bugs me.

I am absolutely loving the discs brakes up front. I used the proportion valve from Racer here on mud and it works great. The FJ60 power steering is working fantastic. We went with a remote Toyota resivoir for Power Steering Fluid because the combined unit would not fit. It's mounted to the drivers inside fender.

It's amazing how replacing all the body and bed mounts make the truck rattle free for the most part (For a while). Part of the allure of these old trucks is their simplicity and the ruggedness, but it's nice to drive without all the rattles. (I think the newer doors have helped). It's also nice to be able to stop in a safer manner.

^^^^ Nice. I love these old trucks too and prefer a few upgrades for drivability while retaining a nearly original look.

Can you post up a pic of the remote reservoir?

Dom, one of his engine bay pics clearly shows the reservoir behind the air cleaner. I spotted it right away.

Hey Dom, if you need a better pic just let me know. If you need any other info just shoot me a pm and I will get you whatever you need.

The reservoir is from a 1990 Toyota 4 Runner and the pump is from an 1986 Toyota pickup. I think that there were only a few years that they had a remote reservoir. I wanted to get the stock air cleaner and this was really my only option.

Hey Ken, that one of Dukes looks like it's Nebula Green. It might just be the lighting, these Colors look different in certain light.

Guambomb, no not me, but it looks like the same color. As Mark said; different Euro spec doors. It does look like it has splits though.

Shoot. Yeah I spotted the windows but thought there was a slim chance you swaped them out since everything else looks so similar. Anyway, beautiful ride man.

Thanks Guambomb! Yea I didn't notice the doors at first.

Mark, would love to see how the mini truck ps pump is mounted, as I want to retain the oe air cleaner as well.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hey whitey, just have one photo at this time and it's not real clear. I had a friend make the special bracket and mount this all up. I will send you some better photos later when we're able to get it on a rack for some under the truck photos.

I posted up my vin so it can be added if you like.

Last edited:
G'day ccpilot,

Man that is an absolutely beautiful truck - You have done a marvellous job.

I have a questions regarding your tire size. I am going to be using the original split rims and I am tossing up between the 255/85's or the original 235/85's. My tire guy said that it would drive horribly with the 255's - squirrelly and that I would get bad tire wear. I'm also a bit worried that with my original springs that the larger tires might exaggerate the appearance of saggy old suspension. What are your feelings?

Cheers,

Ben

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi Ben,
I think the the 255/85/16 are a great size tire for the 45. First of all, I don't think wear is really an issue. It probeley depends more on the "Brand than Size". I have another set of these on a 66 FJ45 and although I don't have a ton of miles on either set, they are wearing fine.

They are not squirrelly at all, and I have had no issues.

The spring issue would be my concern: I did put these on "Sage" before I had the springs re-arched and there were some rubbing issues and it did not look good. I would go with the smaller size if you are not going to re-arch or get new springs.

Here are a before and after spring re-arch. I also added a leaf in the front to help accommodate for the extra weight of the PTO winch.

I hope this was helpful,

Mark

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ben, here is the 66FJ45 with Y742S Yokohama's 700/15 for reference and withe the Cooper Discoverer 255//85/16.

Last edited:
View attachment 1273264 View attachment 1273259 Ben, here is the 66FJ45 with Y742S Yokohama's 700/15 for reference and withe the Cooper Discoverer 255//85/16.
Hey Cppilot, Thankyou the detailed response. The white truck certainly looks better are the springs were re-arched. I'm going to see if my tire man has both size tires in stock. I'd like to see them in the flesh, next to each other. Cheers and thanks again. Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom