Rust proofing with cosmoline (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guy! Haven't been to this forum in a while. Been kinda addicted to getting into welding lately and just recently bought a tig welder. But all that is aside from the point.
I need to do something about the rust that has started to develop the last two winters since I moved to Pa. from so cal on my 80 series (by the way, didn't really know what subforum this should go in).

So my plan is to buy some cosmoline in a 5 gallon bucket offline, and get a 'pump weed killer sprayer' that are the ones that hold about a gallon or so. Then fill it with cosmoline and set it in a big 10 gal pot of water heating on a outdoor burner (double boiler style). From what I've read on my google searches : some people have mentioned that you can spray cosmoline if you heat it up. I wasn't able to find any solid info on anyone having "actually done this". So Hopefully anyone here can provide some info on whether or not I'll be actually able to spray cosmoline through a weed killer sprayer like I'm talking about.

Also: I know that a pnumatic air brush sprayer would be better, but I'm on a budget with all my money currently tied up with welding and such (unless anyone knows of a harbor freight one, although getting compressed air is a problem for me as well).

Thanks so much in advance for anyones input here! I'm pretty set on using cosmoline as a rust preventative for my FZJ 80 because of the proven nature of how it prevents rust. Also cuz it typically is sprayed on cars that are shipped over seas before they are sold, and cuz its cheap. Id like to also be able to use this 5 gal pail of cosmoline for other cars to spray as well.

So, sorry if this seemed kinda long winded but appreciate any input-Tyler.

Had to look up Cosmoline...sounds like some serious military grade goo. That would be a beeatch to get off the undercarriage.

Man I have never heard of this! Having cleaned that **** off of rifles, I cant imagine spraying it on my truck!
No kidding!! I use mineral oil in a pump sprayer myself, cheaper too!

Hey guy! Haven't been to this forum in a while. Been kinda addicted to getting into welding lately and just recently bought a tig welder. But all that is aside from the point.
I need to do something about the rust that has started to develop the last two winters since I moved to Pa. from so cal on my 80 series (by the way, didn't really know what subforum this should go in).

So my plan is to buy some cosmoline in a 5 gallon bucket offline, and get a 'pump weed killer sprayer' that are the ones that hold about a gallon or so. Then fill it with cosmoline and set it in a big 10 gal pot of water heating on a outdoor burner (double boiler style). From what I've read on my google searches : some people have mentioned that you can spray cosmoline if you heat it up. I wasn't able to find any solid info on anyone having "actually done this". So Hopefully anyone here can provide some info on whether or not I'll be actually able to spray cosmoline through a weed killer sprayer like I'm talking about.

Also: I know that a pnumatic air brush sprayer would be better, but I'm on a budget with all my money currently tied up with welding and such (unless anyone knows of a harbor freight one, although getting compressed air is a problem for me as well).

Thanks so much in advance for anyones input here! I'm pretty set on using cosmoline as a rust preventative for my FZJ 80 because of the proven nature of how it prevents rust. Also cuz it typically is sprayed on cars that are shipped over seas before they are sold, and cuz its cheap. Id like to also be able to use this 5 gal pail of cosmoline for other cars to spray as well.

So, sorry if this seemed kinda long winded but appreciate any input-Tyler.

There is military grade Cosmoline (stuff used back in WWII) that can be sprayed, without heating. And it's the thick amber wax like form that they used on transporting cars overseas and the military still uses it today to transport their heavy equipment overseas. It's called Cosmoline Rust-Veto 342 (industrial grade). It also meets some MIL-SPECs. It can be sprayed through a garden sprayer or hand pump and if you still want it thinner, you can cut it with any solvent like mineral spirits or paint thinner. I've been using this stuff for years and got it from the guys at "Cosmoline Direct" Hope that helps. This products starts as a heavy, thick liquid (like motor oil), you apply it via spray, dip or brush, then the solvent evaporates, leaving you with the protective wax coating you're looking for. Stuff is gold!

Not the expert but have been doing some research on how the professionals rustproof the interior panels of a vehicle. They will use a special gun and nozzle extension with enough pressure (100psi) to atomize the liquid when spraying inside panels, frame rails, and cavities. Doing it that way produces a cloud of fine mist that floats around inside the cavity evenly coating all the surfaces, up, down, and sideways. Waxoil 120-4 is one of those products.

http://www.waxoyl-usa.com/Products.aspx?code=wax-0022&key=cat

CorrosionX HD. Look it it up. Stuff is great. Sprays perfect from Wagner electric sprayer.

Why not go get truck bed liner and spray/Roll the underside once and for all. Would not get on anything but metal if I were you. 3" Roller? All rust has to be removed or it would just flake off with liner on it.

Cosmoline is a creative idea but as many have brought up there are a lot of products to protect from rust that would work better specifically made for the automotive industry. From your avatar it looks like you might be an armor buff. What did you think of "Fury?"

I will be doing both my 80s and my trailer with Fluid Film on Tuesday. I bought 3 gallons and a cheap air sprayer from Amazon. I'm starting to think that Fluid Film is the magic bullet for the northeast. Non-toxic, extremely high flash point, won't harm grass, and is self healing.
Bottom line, anything is better than nothing. Hard shell undercoating is not the way to go IMO unless the vehicle is new and has never been exposed to the elements for any length of time.

^^ what he said^^

I think that puts the perspective on it, encapsulating coatings are only as good as the coverage, meaning, it's usually not good.

I use fluid film for my trucks. I do it once a year in the fall. I am just getting ready to do my trucks in the next week or two. Doesn't cause problems with overspray etc. I love the stuff

Another choice that gets excellent reviews in a couple comparisons I read is LPS #3. It sounds exactly like Waxoyl and Cosmoline, right down to the color, and comes in spray cans. I shot a few slightly rusted parts on my 80 in the spring and after sitting about 5 days a week on the beach ever since those parts look better if anything. They certainly havent rusted any more, and the layer of #3 is just how I left it. I also test shot Fluid Film in places and while they havent rusted much if at all, depending on location, the LPS remains thick while water spray and time has thinned the FF.

Not the expert but have been doing some research on how the professionals rustproof the interior panels of a vehicle. They will use a special gun and nozzle extension with enough pressure (100psi) to atomize the liquid when spraying inside panels, frame rails, and cavities. Doing it that way produces a cloud of fine mist that floats around inside the cavity evenly coating all the surfaces, up, down, and sideways. Waxoil 120-4 is one of those products.

http://www.waxoyl-usa.com/Products.aspx?code=wax-0022&key=cat
Thats exactly what id ideally like to buy, but the waxoyl stuff is kinda expensive. I like the german made sprayer they sell on their site too. The wand is perfect for blowing all the rust proofing up into the inner pannels

Another choice that gets excellent reviews in a couple comparisons I read is LPS #3. It sounds exactly like Waxoyl and Cosmoline, right down to the color, and comes in spray cans. I shot a few slightly rusted parts on my 80 in the spring and after sitting about 5 days a week on the beach ever since those parts look better if anything. They certainly havent rusted any more, and the layer of #3 is just how I left it. I also test shot Fluid Film in places and while they havent rusted much if at all, depending on location, the LPS remains thick while water spray and time has thinned the FF.
80 dollars a gallon when i imagine ill be spraying around two gallons in getting pricy. I guess thats why im asking about pure cosmoline, and possibly adding my own thinners or heating it up in order to get it flowing.

There is military grade Cosmoline (stuff used back in WWII) that can be sprayed, without heating. And it's the thick amber wax like form that they used on transporting cars overseas and the military still uses it today to transport their heavy equipment overseas. It's called Cosmoline Rust-Veto 342 (industrial grade). It also meets some MIL-SPECs. It can be sprayed through a garden sprayer or hand pump and if you still want it thinner, you can cut it with any solvent like mineral spirits or paint thinner. I've been using this stuff for years and got it from the guys at "Cosmoline Direct" Hope that helps. This products starts as a heavy, thick liquid (like motor oil), you apply it via spray, dip or brush, then the solvent evaporates, leaving you with the protective wax coating you're looking for. Stuff is gold!

Glad you responded. This may be the best and cheapest option for me. Any word on the difference between their "rust veto 342 and their rust veto 344"? The rust veto 344 specifically says that you should be able to spray though a pump sprayer, the rust veto 342 doesnt. But, the way they describe the 342 make it sound like thats the better rust proofing for undercoating vehicles.

Why not go get truck bed liner and spray/Roll the underside once and for all. Would not get on anything but metal if I were you. 3" Roller? All rust has to be removed or it would just flake off with liner on it.

Appreciate ur input, but i dont believe thats a good method for rust proofing a vehicle unless they are brand new. Theres just no way to clean the undercarriage free of all rust and dirt on 15 year old vehicles. Also a spray gets into the nicks and crannies :)

2 Gallons!!!!! Way too much. I just did my f350 long bed ext. cab and it took 3/4 gallon of CorrosionX HD bought from ebay for $55 gal w/free shipping.

And outdoort your right on the bed liner/etc. It will also just trap moisture and make it rust faster. Just like rubberized undercoat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom