Builds ROTW - desertdude's 1997 40th aniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DD,
Did you ever give MacGPS Pro a try?

Ross

DUDE,

When I retire and build up another 80 the right way, I will follow your light.

I guess the biggest question is, how do you get your SO to help you on all of these truck related projects?

See ya out there guys!

-JJ

GeoRoss said:
DD,
Did you ever give MacGPS Pro a try?

Ross

I did breeze through it a bit - but not enough - was hoping to see you out there and get a quick tutorial :) soon eh?

rockclmbr said:
DUDE,

When I retire and build up another 80 the right way, I will follow your light.

I guess the biggest question is, how do you get your SO to help you on all of these truck related projects?

See ya out there guys!

-JJ

Thanks a bunch!

desertgirl is a real lover of the landcruiser - she drives the FJ40 which we remodeled together ( see photos) - everyday for the past few years - so when we decided to get an 80 she was stoked ( she owned a 94 new back in that day)

I would say I waited for the right GF and got real lucky! and she is awesome at taking things apart, organizing, and just fun to be around :cool:

yeah see you out there ;)

desertdude said:
I did breeze through it a bit - but not enough - was hoping to see you out there and get a quick tutorial :) soon eh?

I'm sure we can figure something out :D . And soon would be good as I am itching to get out.

Ross

Hey desertdude, you should start a Cruise Alaska run. Something similar to Cruise Moab. I'd bet alot of people would join it.

Again your rig is definitely the SH**..

Silicon 70 said:
Hey desertdude, you should start a Cruise Alaska run. Something similar to Cruise Moab. I'd bet alot of people would join it.

Again your rig is definitely the SH**..

Thanks! it is kinda all ready happening with the Alaskan Cruiser Crew

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2006/

I just wanted to add a bit of input on the building up of our Landcruiser. I am a Landcruiser enthusiast and adventurer. It is important that I know the fundamental and intricate workings of the rig that I am adventuring in! So, I like to get in and help with all that I am capable of.

Desertdude really researches products and details of how to build the proper rig for the situation. In this case we really need a rig that can wheel in all types of terrain, but can also be an expedition rig for long travels. And that is what we have built. The drawer system makes an excellent kitchen "pantry" for long trips. The engel fridge can carry fresh food without getting soggy in ice. Perfect for me who loves her fresh salads, even on the trail :)

The water system is super easy for me to use, for refilling water bottles or filling up the pan to steam vegetables in. And what can I say about having a hot shower on board! All of these parts, are designed for comfort and practibility for life on the road and the trail.

So, I do not mind getting in and getting my hands greasy, cleaning out the birfields and bearings. I know where all the wires are and how the rig works! This is important when you are out on the trail, and repairs need to be done!

After 14,000 miles, traveling North to Alaska, I love our 1997 Landcruiser and all the mods that we have done to it. The performance was impeccable, through highway driving and wheeling for days through river crossings and sticky deep mud. And best of all, whenever I get in to drive to the store or library or anywhere in town, I have complete faith that she will be totally reliable. :bounce:

I can't wait untill the next expedition, and I look forward to helping install the 4" heavy coil springs from Slee~~

Happy Trails~~Desertgirl

desertdude said:
Well, Since the heavies were not quite in yet - and I had a full load on the 4" springs I thought I would see if I could go 6" - one it would give me more clearance on the river crossings - two it would maybe level out to be about a 5" lift when it was fully loaded - I installed the 6" coils and 1.5" wheel spacers and gave it a whirl - unfortunately ( I needed more time to do it properly) I only had a week before we were leaving - due to the high center of gravity ( roof tent) and not really being able to dial in the proper castor ( I drove it around for about 400 miles) and the OME shocks not quite firm enough for my GVW - I went back to the 4" and I was glad I did for this mostly on road trip ( 14,000 miles)

A few other things led me to this decision - the truck really sat high with the 6" hard to believe it was that different - I could not reach the engine compartment with out a small step stool - getting in and out was more difficult - especially for desertgirl - as it were she needed a stool to access the engel in the back with the 4" - so long

story short I will save those 6" for another 80 project brewing :idea:

I am looking forward to the 4" heavies as well as the Bilstein 7100 install - more on this later...

Do you know of anyone out there that have done the 7100 shock mod that also has a rig that is as heavy as our rigs are? ie after all the trouble of custom work is it really better and are they stiff (I said Stiff :D .) enough?

I am going to put in slees 4" springs with 1/2" Packers and try that but I would like to hear what you guys think about the extra heavies.

Not sure if I am just going with the 7100 mod or the OME L yet.
:cheers:
Sam

wow, it's beautiful!!! i'm almost done with my 40. i've been doing a full restoration, and i know that once it's done i'm going to want to get back into builidng something but haven't been able to decide what. this is defintely some inspiration.

texas77fj40 said:
wow, it's beautiful!!! i'm almost done with my 40. i've been doing a full restoration, and i know that once it's done i'm going to want to get back into builidng something but haven't been able to decide what. this is defintely some inspiration.

Thanks Texas77FJ40 - :cool:

NorCalSam said:
Do you know of anyone out there that have done the 7100 shock mod that also has a rig that is as heavy as our rigs are? ie after all the trouble of custom work is it really better and are they stiff (I said Stiff :D .) enough?

I am going to put in slees 4" springs with 1/2" Packers and try that but I would like to hear what you guys think about the extra heavies.

Not sure if I am just going with the 7100 mod or the OME L yet.
Sam

all good questions Sam, every vehicle has something different going on - Ali has tried the 7100's - and Landcruiserphil has them installed - Phils 80 is quite heavy - he has custom mounts ( very nice)

As I understand it -I am not sure packers will help - when the coils are weighted down they have no where to go - packers might level the vehicle but the coils will be quite pressed with no coil left... depending on your weight

I bought the 7100's and some of the mounts so I guess I am in deep and will install them - I have to work out the rear lower eye mount - but in the end will it be a more stable ride for my weight - I am going to guess yes - is it worth the time and money - this I am not sure of yet...

The heavies are on the UPS truck as of today - I will install as soon as I get back to AZ and let you know ;)

Here is a " finish the 80" to do list of what is left on the short radar:

160L ( 44-gal) long ranger Aux. fuel tank - and gauge

Blue fan mod

Incab winch control using the antenna switch

AC outlets ( from the inverter) in the rear

Separate hot water pump for pumping from an outside source

Improved sound system and speakers

Move the 2m antenna to the rear hatch ( so I can be just like cruiserdrew :)

Super charger or if I feel lucky a turbo charger

Cook Partner stove mounted on the rear bumper swing out

A holding slot behind the driver and passenger seats up on the deck for computer storage and charging.

A small mini fridge up near the front for cold drinks and fresh snacks

Slee's 4" heavy rear coils

7100 Bilstein shocks
Different tires/maybe rims too (after two splits on the BFG MTR KM's) I need a new brand

Sorry I am a little late to the party. Incredible rig and write up, very helpfull for those of us with lesser rigs. I also find it hard to believe that you still have a to do list. ;)

I am about to install Extreme Outback compressor myself in the rear cargo area as well and wondered about your wiring and how it worked out. I noticed the cuircut breaker and relay are next to the compressor. Wondering how you got it all sorted out.

Enviable rig,

DD & DG: What an incredible rig. Somehow you have managed to do an incredible # of mods and still wheel...let me know how you do that OK?! If your travels ever take you to or through Reno be sure to give me a heads up...beer and Pho on me ;)

Slomo said:
Sorry I am a little late to the party. Incredible rig and write up, very helpful for those of us with lesser rigs. I also find it hard to believe that you still have a to do list. ;)

I am about to install Extreme Outback compressor myself in the rear cargo area as well and wondered about your wiring and how it worked out. I noticed the circuit breaker and relay are next to the compressor. Wondering how you got it all sorted out.

Enviable rig,

Thanks Slomo - yeah I started this list last year and will finish ;)

I followed the schematic that came with the Compressor - but once you see how it is wired it does make sense - one switch - a solenoid for actually making the electrical contact when you turn it on - and a high amp circuit breaker just in case - I used a 30 amp circuit on the 12 space fuse block. The compressor ( if you run it tankless) needs a blow by tire filler at the end of the hose so it can breath before you get it on the tire stem...

spressomon said:
DD & DG: What an incredible rig. Somehow you have managed to do an incredible # of mods and still wheel...let me know how you do that OK?! If your travels ever take you to or through Reno be sure to give me a heads up...beer and Pho on me ;)

Thanks ! Spressomon - We were so dedicated once we had all the materials - and planned this out as best we could - ...and we plan on a full preventive maintenance schedule in October to make sure everything is solid underneath especially after 14, 000 miles up and back from AK - this includes taking the front and rear axles/bearings and brakes apart to check for wear and tear -

we will take you up on the offer when we come though your area :cheers:

But.....it's...........scratched................. :flipoff2:

It looks a lot better and much more impressive in person....;)

cruiserdan said:
But.....it's...........scratched................. :flipoff2:

It looks a lot better and much more impressive in person....;)

I remember our phone conversation Dan says " Have you seen Brantleys 80 when he came back from Alaska"

Well... I say it will buff out :flipoff2:

BTW thanks for the spare parts - the cap and rotor were a complete life saver! - next time I will wait until we are broke down in the interior - and call you on the Sat phone and have you personally air drop it by bush plane :D

awesome truck. you've done great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom