Retread Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For all who've contemplated the purchase of Treadwright tires and all of the arguments about their safety: Treadwright no longer recommends any of their oversized (33+") tires for street use.

i want to say the website said they were not recomended for street use in 2010, but i don't remember.

Hell, I've never seen anything bigger than 33s not on backorder. I am planning on waiting for some 35s though at somepoint.

Although they are probably no less safe than they have been, them saying off road use only kinda takes away from my confidence in them.....

I've been looking for some trail only tires for a while, and took a look at TW because I could get a new set of mt's for what I'd pay for a used set of Iroks or TSL's.
That's when I noticed the new disclaimer for offroad use only.
The only reason I'd even noticed was because last October when I was shopping for new AT's I had looked at Treadwright as a possibility for new tires. Now I'm glad I hadn't gone that route.

i will give my opinion on the gaurd dog 285/75 which is approx 33.2" treadwrites:
1.price plus shipping you don't come out too far ahead vs buying tires that don't have to be shipped.
2. the carcas starts to dry out before the tread wears out.
3 the ride quality is pretty good and not too loud.
4. they work pretty well in all terrain.
5. tread wear is good, i have 30,000 mi on them and there are about 66% tread remaining. i run them 45psi on the road.

lastly after working in intensive care units the last 5 years and seeing the aftermath of numerous car wrecks i came to the following conclusion about the fzj80: with stock gears and tires and the open road it will go over 100mph and it weighs 5500lbs. if you wreck you will get f'd at those speeds.

my fzj now wears said tires and 5.29s and i don't drive faster than 52mph and usually 45 or less. I also avoid the hwy because theres really no point since secondary roads are usually more scenic and my car is slow.

so don't drive fast and buy what ever tires you want. and also don't be supprised if you are smoking at the gas pump and it explodes. ie you have retreads and drive 85mph in a 3 ton turd and one blows, go figure.:crybaby:

I absolutely agree with the above. I don't make it past 65, ever. I've never been one to speed in a truck, the thought of a wreck in a 3 ton vehicle definitely keeps the foot off the skinny pedal.
That being said, even for a trail tire, I don't think I'd bet on the retreads for being great for much. Why else does TW now have a disclaimer, and multiple changes of company name?

I've had the 33" TW MTR clone on my 80 for a couple of years now, no complaints. They hold thier own on the rocks and mud, and are great in the ice and snow. I recently had a front wheel lock, disintegrate, and instantly deflate the tire and rip out my brake line (shop left the caliper bolts finger tight) at 70 as I was exiting the freeway. After sliding sideways for an eternity I limped it to the shoulder without incident. After all that, I assumed the tires would be flat sided and out of balance at the very least, but that stinking retread wasn't damaged in the least! It remounted and balanced out perfectly, and the other 3 tires were no worse for wear. I have no qualms about thier strength, stability, or durability.

All that being said, I DON'T drive these tires at high speed - 70mph max- just because this rig aint no ferrari. With a CG as high as it is on a lifted 80, I'm not looking for trouble. If you run an 80 in the desert, in the summer, heavily loaded, at 85 mph- you roll the dice no matter what round black things are wrapped around your rims.

I just remembered a negative. the front tire went flat. took it to the tire shop to get it plugged and they pulled a .357mag case (just the brass) out of the tread area. that made me question there ruggedness. no probs since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom