Replacing rear wheel stud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Up until last week, I had the dealer rotate my tires when I got the oil changed. Last week, I decided to do it myself as I am now changing my own oil. As I was putting the lug nuts back on on my right rear wheel, one lug nut never tightened up and just twisted off. I think the stud was already compromised from a previous tire rotate but I have no way of proving it. Anyways, got a new stud and did a little exploring today. Looks like I am going to have to pull the axle shaft and then ?? to get where I can remove the old stud and press in the new one. Sure wish there was a Haynes manual for the FJ.

I did a search but came up with zip on the rear axle shaft. Maybe my search terms are off? Does anyone have any info on this?

Oh, be carefull not to pop the retainer off the emegency brake shoe alignment pin. Because there is no room to work, it was a real bitch getting it back on. Had to make a SST from a fork.

That is a huge help. Looks like I have to disassemble the parking brake to get at it. I can fab up a tool to press the old stud out. There just isn't a lot of room to work to put the parking brake back in but I think I can get it with a little patience.

You wouldn't happen to have the PB series .pdf for the parking brake?

Attachments

• 03000410.pdf
    308.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 030003.pdf
    75.3 KB · Views: 195
So, has anyone had the fun of disassembling the e-brake? Any tips, pointers, lessons learned? Had to put a spring retainer back on yesterday and there is very little room to work with the axle shaft in the way. Having big fingers sure doesn't help either... When I get ready to replace the stud, I will document the steps...

I've only disassembled them once and I let the dealer reassemble that jigsaw puzzle while they were warrantying my rear diff. :D I would guess that bent needle nose pliers are your friends.

It sucks out loud what I found worked was 90deg needle nose plyers plus every other set I own. Put the center spring ie the round one with the clip on first . Leave the shoes spread for what little room it givesyou then the bottom spring then th e top . Go back and install the lower adjuster. Right side took me about 4 hours many beers and cussed in 7 different languages . Left took 30 min to complete after the large learning curve and I have very small hands good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom