Replacing lower ball joint boot question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I replaced a front axle on the passenger side and after it was installed I went to replace the lower ball joint boot with the boot kit and grease but could not get the ball joint shaft disengaged from the steering knuckle because as I lowered the steering knuckle the axle hit the A-arm before the threaded shaft of the ball joint came free of the steering knuckle. It looked to me at the time that the lower ball joint could not be released unless the axle was removed and out of the way so the knuckle could be lowered off of the ball joint shaft. But just now after looking at the FSM it appears that it can be released with the axle in place.
What was I doing wrong? I still would like to replace the boot and re-grease the joint if possible but I don't want to remove the axle just to do it. Was I missing something at the time or is this not possible?
Note: I had already replaced the upper ball joint boot and didn't want to unbolt it again to see if that would make any difference. It that the key - having the upper unbolted and removed at the same time?
Thanks,
cp

I just rebooted mine, and couldn't figure out how to do it without taking the whole knuckle assembly off. So that's what I did...

I just rebooted mine, and couldn't figure out how to do it without taking the whole knuckle assembly off. So that's what I did...

I was thinking that too, you mean undo the steering arm.
upload_2017-7-18_19-25-46.png

And possibly undo the shocks(?)

And use the gear puller to separate the LCA right?

Like this,

upload_2017-7-18_19-27-12.png

Btw, on the manual, they do pull the UCA with the puller as well.

BUT I think that the whole knuckle assembly should drop down once you pull/slide the shock out.

Let me know what you think,

I don't think I had to disconnect shock, and I'm pretty sure you don't have to disconnect upper ball joint. I don't recall that I disconnected the steering arm either, but that may let you manipulate the knuckle out of the way. Remember, the torsen bars are forcing the LCAs down, so with the truck on jack stands, you'll have jack up the LCA in order to take pressure off that joint and swing the knuckle out of the way.

That being said, when I did mine, I took the whole knuckle off because I rebooted both the upper and lower ball joints and rebooted the drive shaft at the same time.

I undid the steering arm, but didn't have to do anything with the shock. I posted up a puller that O'Rielly's has (in the main lower ball joint instructions thread) that clears the dust shield so you don't have to use a pickle fork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom