Replaced Bilstien shocks with OEM...review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Quarentine project went well, although it took a lot longer than planned. About 8 hours due to locked bolts, etc. I have a 1999 with 270K, Texas truck with no rust.

Ive always felt my truck rode a little “firm” and knew it didn’t have OEM shocks. Mine were yellow. I found them through the forum online for $220 shipped, all 4 from a Toyota dealer. Here we go...

There are lots of posts on the sizes of the bolts, so just a few thoughts:
1) wratched wrenches that fold are a must, especially for the rear bolts on the top
2) lower bolts were all “locked”, had to use breaker bar, hammer drill and plenty of PB Blaster and elbow grease. This wasn’t expected but got through it
3) you will need an extra jack in addition to the one for changing spares, and 2 jack stands

After a drive, the truck drives a lot better. Not Lexus smooth but I also have 18” rims and TG tires. It does not “jolt” when going over railroad tracks and overall much better control and noise when driving over imperfection and bumps in the road.

I took a picture of the model of Bilsteins, not sure if they are offroad, but i don’t take if anywhere other than a trail here or there.

Definitetly a good project and definitely worth the $220.

B39144C2-E88A-4997-8CCA-80B3D1F9AB26.jpeg

119F5D3B-FACB-4BFF-8BFB-B8EE45B66E3B.jpeg

85C39900-D117-41F8-976A-A3591E998FFA.jpeg

522B8914-6671-4A3A-A10C-050C04E4CCCA.jpeg

5029A6AA-0ED4-4D19-A6E7-700B8070D1DE.jpeg

My Quarentine project went well, although it took a lot longer than planned. About 8 hours due to locked bolts, etc. I have a 1999 with 270K, Texas truck with no rust.

Ive always felt my truck rode a little “firm” and knew it didn’t have OEM shocks. Mine were yellow. I found them through the forum online for $220 shipped, all 4 from a Toyota dealer. Here we go...

There are lots of posts on the sizes of the bolts, so just a few thoughts:
1) wratched wrenches that fold are a must, especially for the rear bolts on the top
2) lower bolts were all “locked”, had to use breaker bar, hammer drill and plenty of PB Blaster and elbow grease. This wasn’t expected but got through it
3) you will need an extra jack in addition to the one for changing spares, and 2 jack stands

After a drive, the truck drives a lot better. Not Lexus smooth but I also have 18” rims and TG tires. It does not “jolt” when going over railroad tracks and overall much better control and noise when driving over imperfection and bumps in the road.

I took a picture of the model of Bilsteins, not sure if they are offroad, but i don’t take if anywhere other than a trail here or there.

Definitetly a good project and definitely worth the $220.

View attachment 2293497

View attachment 2293499

View attachment 2293500

View attachment 2293502

View attachment 2293503
Is your truck lifted or still stock? Mine rides rough also and I believe that I the same Bilstien shocks.

All stock, no lift or bumpers. Profile picture is of my truck.

Those are 4600 series Bilsteins - I have had them on my truck for 200k. Really impressive shock, definitely improves handling compared to OEM. However it is a little bit ‘harsh’ after installing E rated tires (32.6”) compared to P/passenger tires. Bilsteins definitely last longer than OEM’ shocks (mine were mushy at 70k). Also, ride gets harsher with worn suspension parts, after replacing all bushings / ball joints the ride both firmed up, and became ‘plush’ - softer on the small stuff. I think if there is play in the suspension, things ‘jerk’ around a bit. Check sway bar bushings and links, tie rod ends, besides ball joints.

Kevin.

I’ve had my OEM’s on for about 1000 miles now. It has definitely smoothed things out. Is it just the new bushings...who knows. I have 18” Nitto TG2 tires that aren’t as smooth as 16” Michelins.

Overall, for $220 it was a fun project with some benefit.

Next projects are some sliders and roof rack. Nothing too over the top, nor do I want to add any major weight nor lift.

I have a broken 4600 series on my drivers side rear... (actually separated at the top!) Need replacements, any recommendations?? Truck sees some but not much off road use...
I put these ones in in 2012 If I remember correctly...

Truck has arb bumper and winch and sliders. OME 865s I think and torsion bars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom