Recovery point from 4 holes in rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen a few recovery points that mount to the 4 holes in the rear bumper. Do you think this mounting point is strong enough or would you be better off using a factory hitch mount as a rear recovery point. Bumpers with recovery points are not in my future any time soon.

How about the built-in recovery point at the end of the frame? That should be your best bet.

I agree. I wouldn't use the bumper for weight rated more than the towing capacity if at all.

Recovery should be done from designated recovery points, as towing should be done with designated tow points.

As a matter of fact, most people fail to recognize that a stuck vehicle weighing 6k lbs. can easily create significantly more resistance during recovery because you're not only trying to overcome the weight of the stuck ride, but also the restricting forces. The resistance is also compounded when a recovery tool such as a strap is in use as they store energy.

These factors are just a few of the reasons that most people recommend a winch rated for no less than 1 1/2 times your vehicle weight, and often 2, or more times.

Last edited:
Toyota designed it as a hitch mount and you can buy a ball hitch or pintle hitch that bolts on, so that would suggest it's strong enough for towing, but maybe not for recovery. I agree that frame-mounted recovery points are best.

Last edited:
The debate lives on.....!! :cheers:

DSC_0434.jpg

Not what we're talking about, but an example of forces at hand.

ForumRunner_20140108_214103.jpg

ForumRunner_20140108_214103.jpg

Last edited:
Factory class i3 hitch is a strong recovery point (not the ball obviously) and so are the stock 2 recovery hooks at the rear of both frame members. Lots of posts on both views here.

I dont know where this is? Can anyone post a picture of this?

ForumRunner_20140108_215630.jpg

Look left of my trailer hitch. Also, one on right, by tail pipe, and two in front each side of frame.

ForumRunner_20140108_215630.jpg

Last edited:
The factory loops aren't really "recovery points" either. They are shipping tie-down points.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=868522&postcount=149

IMO, the idea that the factory loops are not really recovery points (but shipping tie-down points) was substantially debated and essentially put to bed in this thread below. That included some discussion of the loop failure in the thread you provided, IIRC.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/74277-80-oem-recovery-points-ok-strap-recovery.html

:cheers:

Yes, I've read that thread several times. I didn't say they weren't strong enough, just that they weren't intended as recovery points. The fact that people successfully use them for recovery does not change the fact that they are shipping tie-downs.

If you regularly use them for recovery, I would change them out for something like this:
http://www.jonesysoffroad.com/shop/jonesys-bundles/jonesys-80-series-recovery-bundle/

You could also get the late model tundra tie-downs as they look pretty beefy.

I've also read all the threads on the pintle mount & would consider it strong enough for light duty towing & light recovery use.

They aren't tie down points, they're recovery loops. Early trucks only had one in the rear, on the LHS - this wouldn't be suitable for vehicle tie down purposes, they were meant for something else.

In the US these were equipped with leather seats & moon-roofs and primarily marketed to soccer moms. More likely to be shipping tie-downs.

Personally if you look at the weld on the short leg of the loop it looks pretty wimpy.

The Tundra has a combination tie-down & recovery loop - compare here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/733691-2nd-gen-tundra-frb.html

I already caught that in the next post.

Keep in mind that the load forces put on a TOW HOOK are quite different than those put on a RECOVERY HOOK. THis particular debete can rage on forever without any solid resolution. It comes down to you making the choice of what you will use on your own rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom