Rear driveshaft / slack at the yoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Periodically I have been getting a metal on metal clank when I put it into reverse or drive. Then I get a vibration at around 35-40mph and up. I've checked the front and rear driveshaft U-joints and they appear to be ok. I do have a little slack at the yoke on the rear driveshaft. I have gotten a 2nd and 3rd opinion and all said the metal on metal clank and vibration are coming from the rear driveshaft. Has anyone just replaced the yoke and it gone away or am I probably looking at needing a whole rear driveshaft?

TIA.

Used to work in a heavy duty truck garage. A good driveline shop with the skills and equipment can do a yoke replacement and rebalance the shaft. You'll be happy and probably save over spending on a new complete shaft.

The local dealership managed to R&R one on my front DS when we first brought the truck, which is almost surprising to think back on it, considering what else went wrong, leading to me no longer doing business with them. I've had no troubles with it in 6 years.

Maybe one of the parts gurus can verify if a new driveshaft is even available from Toyota?

It is a pain in the ass, but the best way to figure out the problem is to remove each drive shaft and drive it to see if the problem changes. Of course, you need to be able to lock the transfer case up to do this. If you don't have the "7 pin modification" done yet, then put the truck in LOW. Then while in LOW and the lights stop blinking, pull the fuse that controls the transfer case. Sorry, but I don't know which fuse it is, but it is indicated on the fuse panel at your left knee. Then shift the truck back into 4 HIGH and you can drive around with only one drive shaft.

These trucks have sloppy slip-joints most of the time. The only true way to check U-Joints is to take the drive shaft out and move them looking for slop or sticky spots. I have replaced both my drive shaft with Toyota drive shafts, stupid $$$$$, and the "new" ones have become sloppy in only 40 k miles.

The vibration will ruin stuff, the sound will not.

Thanks for the info. I may have a lead on a used driveshaft that I am told is tight with no slop. I'll have to check it out. The vibration has not gotten extremely bad but you know its there. Enough to know I need to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom