REAL TIME HELP: Power Steering Pump Rebuild Catastrophe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slomo

It's Complicated
Threads
So I suck. I was pulling apaert the power steering pump back plate per the fsm and I didn't have the pump enough over the wood. The damn rotor and vanes fell out of the assembly along with the back plate to the floor. Seven of the vanes fell out of the rotor so I have no idea which slot they came from or which side was up on the rotor for reassembly. How f**ked am I? I know to put the vanes with rounded edges out but as I understand they are supposed to go in the same slot they came from. Anyone know how critical that is? Thanks

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447626839.803000.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447626877.705037.jpg

If you carefully study the wear marks on the vanes vs the ones that didn't fall out you can put them back in the proper orientation. You are not going to be able to put them back in the same slots, but you should be OK. I would try to put them back as best as possible, put it back on the truck, and see how it works.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure I wouldn't do more harm than good.

Clean them good, then clean them again. I recommend brake cleaner.

You have the order wrong.
#6 is the Last step not 1st :beer::beer::beer:

You should be OK, but I left mine untouched when I rebuilt mine.

Crap, bigger fail! I managed to tap the wrong "lip" to remove the front plate and messed up the inner race that the main shaft rides on. Apparently it is softer than my brass punch, by a lot. I am going to file it smooth VERY carefully with a tool and die makers file but does anyone know if that race is replaceable or am I screwed?

Lol, at this point I definitely skipped to step #6!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447632088.317544.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447632128.531622.jpg

I'd check with Jason aka @arcteryx at Cruiser Yard to see if he has a used one. He's a stand up dude.

Both pictures are of the same side, the seal side. This is post clean up with a machinist file. I have the shaft fitting smoothly at this point so I think I will proceed with the rebuild. Especially after seeing the price of a rebuilt power steering pump posted above!
Also I cleaned the hell out of it with brake clean. Any further recommendations or assistance is most certainly welcome.

Thanks LS1, If this pump is that all questionable once back together I will give him a call.

I did the same thing to that bushing in mine. It will be okay, it's a bushing and you just added another oil groove. Just make sure the shaft spins freely.
There is one o-ring on an inside surface that is a beal ritch to find. If you have an o-ring left over, you didn't find that one and need to go back in.
I wouldn't worry about the vanes. The FSM shows to measure them for thickness, and all mine were so close it wouldn't have mattered.
When you put it back together, you can easily bleed the system if you have the front wheels barely off the floor. Rotate the steering wheel back and keep topping off the reservoir. If you plug the return side of the reservoir and run the return line into a clear jar, you can flush all the old fluid until it runs nice and clean red, then attach the return line, top it off, and give it a few more turns until the bubbles are gone.

That is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one. Appreciate the input. :cheers:

The pump is all the way back together and passes muster for resistance for FSM. All feels good song going to go with it. Thanks to all for the help much appreciated. :cheers:

Yep, all lines, oil pumps seal, radiator, crank seal, belts, thermostat...

Radiator replacement got out of hand. :grin:

Thanks Tools, I double checked to make sure they were all rounded edge out and facing the same direction based on the wear pattern. Thankfully two vanes stayed in place so I was able to reference them.

Lesson boys and girls; never rush to please the princess on a job you have not done before, or you will screw it up like me. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom