Ramathorn15's LX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. I
figured I'd make a build thread. I plan on building the LX slowly and mildly but would like it captured, and always appreciate feedback.

Here's what she looked like the day I picked her up. Shes a 2006 with 117k miles in really good condition. All PM was done on, or before their due dates.

IMG_0218.JPG

Then I had to sell my Subaru to so I could have some cash to play around with:

IMG_20140417_122925.jpg

First thing I did was add the Viastech bluetooth and sirius radio kits which work fantastically. I then painted all the chrome with black plastidip finished with the graphite metalizer. It turned out really well:

IMG_20160223_175521.jpg

IMG_20160221_143813669.jpg

After selling the Subaru last week, I ordered a set of 295/70/18 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX tires. I was notified today that UPS had dropped them off so I ran home so I could secure them in the garage.

I have a gated side yard that leads to the front door and I assumed the UPS driver would put them back there, out of sight, but instead he moved the trash cans and put them behind them haha.

IMG_20160301_115231.jpg

THEY'RE YUGEEEE (to be continued)

IMG_20160301_115514.jpg

IMG_20160301_115708.jpg

I really hope they fit with the stock suspension. I know they will rub the pinch weld, and I plan on taking care of that this week (flattening then taking a heat gun to the plastic). I'm just hopeful they clear the front bumper. Seems everyone running this size has an aftermarket bumper.

I called a local tire shop and they said they could mount and balance all 4 for $65. Seems too cheap to be legit, but they have good reviews on google so I guess we will see. I plan on getting them mounted up on Friday afternoon.

Wheres the spare tire?

Which pinch weld are you going to flatten with the heat gun? Nvm I believe I read it wrong.

Flatten pinch weld then heat the plastic liner duh!

Wheres the spare tire?

Which pinch weld are you going to flatten with the heat gun?

Great question. I held off on ordering 5 because I'm going to first attempt to mount one of the 4 in the underneath spare location. If it fits, I'll order a 5th. If not, I'll start hunting for a worn of the same size. There seems to be some that say the 295 fits and some who say it doesn't. It gets even more complex when you take different manufacturers actual sizes into account.

The pinch weld on the rear of the front wheel well. Flatten it with a brass hammer then flatten the plastic of the wheel well using a heat gun to soften it.

My 295/75/16 toyo at2 fits with a drawtite hitch.

I need to flatten that seam too. It rubbed on big dips like semi jumping the tracks lol

According to Toyo, 33.4"

Good luck fitting that thing lol. It was a tight squeeze. I had some room but not much.

According to Toyo, 33.4"

Good luck fitting that thing lol. It was a tight squeeze. I had some room but not much.

For what it's worth, I had my 285/75R18 Goodyear MTR, listed at 35"+ under there before. I don't remember if this was with original muffler or my aftermarket one though. But it was without trailer hitch (had Slee rear on.)

Should have kept the Subie.

First of all, Congrats on the new ride!!!!!! I love my 100!!!

First thing I did was add the Viastech bluetooth and sirius radio kits which work fantastically.

Does your factory bluetooth/phone still work all normal with this setup? What input do you use for the Sirius and what tuner did you buy? I want to set this up as well. I bought the USA Spec BT45 and I cannot use my factory bluetooth with this...I don't like it.

Should have kept the Subie.

As much as I loved it, those things are rattle traps. I actually decided I wanted to get rid of it after buying my previous 05 4runner with 33" duratracks and realizing how loud the subie was inside in comparison. You can't even talk to people in the back seat without yelling.

First of all, Congrats on the new ride!!!!!! I love my 100!!!

Does your factory bluetooth/phone still work all normal with this setup? What input do you use for the Sirius and what tuner did you buy? I want to set this up as well. I bought the USA Spec BT45 and I cannot use my factory bluetooth with this...I don't like it.

Yeah, the factory Bluetooth works. You still have to connect to the factory one, and the viastech one separately but it works as if you're connected to one. Songs mute and it rings through the car speakers and allows you to answer on screen.

My 06 has the am-sat button so you push it once to get to sirius then again to get to am radio. I think it works the same in all '04+ even if it doesn't have the am-sat and instead only has am button.

Yeah, the factory Bluetooth works. You still have to connect to the factory one, and the viastech one separately but it works as if you're connected to one. Songs mute and it rings through the car speakers and allows you to answer on screen.

My 06 has the am-sat button so you push it once to get to sirius then again to get to am radio. I think it works the same in all '04+ even if it doesn't have the am-sat and instead only has am button.

Thanks for the info!! Did you have to use an external Sirius tuner that had the antenna, etc?

Thanks for the info!! Did you have to use an external Sirius tuner that had the antenna, etc?

The Vaistech kit I bought came with the module, tuner box, and antenna. I ran the antenna to the back and put it on the roof. I usually hate running wires through interior panels because I always end up breaking or losing clips, but this one was really easy to run it as long as you have a plastic pry-bar.

Here is the exact one I bought:

Amazon.com : SoundLinQ3 SL3SAT Lexus radio interface PLUS SiriusXM SXV300 satellite tuner/antenna kit PLUS dash removal tools (Bundle: 3 items) : Car Electronics

The Vaistech kit I bought came with the module, tuner box, and antenna. I ran the antenna to the back and put it on the roof. I usually hate running wires through interior panels because I always end up breaking or losing clips, but this one was really easy to run it as long as you have a plastic pry-bar.

Here is the exact one I bought:

Amazon.com : SoundLinQ3 SL3SAT Lexus radio interface PLUS SiriusXM SXV300 satellite tuner/antenna kit PLUS dash removal tools (Bundle: 3 items) : Car Electronics
Awesome. Thank you!!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!

I couldn't wait until Friday, so I left work early today, ran home, loaded the tires, then took off to the shop in hopes they would squeeze me in even though I showed up an hour before closing.

I kind of expected this but after putting the LX in the bay, and unloading the tires from the back, the guy comes into the waiting area and says "theres no way man. Those tires aren't even close to being able to fit on that thing". I told him to do one of the fronts and if it didn't fit at all, he could put the stock back on and I would pay for the two mount/balances. Then one guy, who I presume to be the manager, started going off to another guy about how its a 35" tire and that I'm trying to put it on a vehicle that was never intended to have any larger size tire than stock and that it will never work.

Long story short. They fit perfectly!

I had a laugh at the receipt though
IMG_20160302_174238.jpg

Here it is in N mode:
IMG_20160302_175332.jpg

Now in H mode:

IMG_20160302_175620.jpg

Then in L mode:

IMG_20160302_175749.jpg

IMG_20160302_175620.jpg

As far as rubbing goes, I think I found the sweet spot in tires. I have heard the 295/75/18's will rub the pinch weld at least, but these seem to fully clear it and I haven't heard any rub yet (road driving)

Here is in L mode. The tire is already at its widest spot (diameter wise) and still clears the pinch:

IMG_20160302_175849.jpg

Here are the upper control arms. I'm not using any spacers:

IMG_20160302_175415.jpg

Here's another for good luck:

IMG_20160302_175452.jpg

I think these tires are a bit smaller than the Nitto's in the same size. They don't rub the pinch and the only place they look like the may rub is the front-inside of the fender well when fully turned and stuffed. Even then, its pretty close.

I'm really liking them so far. They are the cheapest decently aggressive tire in the size and they have awesome reviews.

Heres a pretty good review from fourwheeler.com:

Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX Review - Quality Time - Four Wheeler Magazine

And people here on mud seem to like them:

Cooper S/T Maxx Real Reviews

I think I have found the exact largest tire you can put on a stock LC/LX without having to trim (these specific ones, not including other brands).

Looks great! Nice to know those tires will work. It's funny how some shops come to their own conclusions and are so adamant about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom