2002 LX470 Black Onyx Build Thread (IG: @choyota) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*This is somewhat for personal record-keeping and a little bit of sharing. I'll go back and refine some of the stuff I listed with actual model numbers and some pics here and there.

Picked up an Black 2002 LX470 in May 2023 w/ 235k on the odo, bone stock (aside from a AHC-delete), from a single owner that passed the vehicle down to his son/daughter in Newport Beach, CA.

The primary use is intended for light trails, long road trips, solo+family camping, occasional grocery-getter, and not so much hardcore wheeling. I had a long-travel 3rd Gen Tacoma that I sold earlier this year and I wheeled that thing pretty good. I then bought a 2nd Gen Tacoma for the purpose of wheeling but will probably end up selling that, and picking up a 1st Gen Tacoma to get wild with. The goals for this LX won't be the same. Not getting wild, just mild.

Here's what it looks like now (Nov '23), roughly:

3A16359F-74F2-4DB3-8642-A9CFAFCB5A90.JPG

unnamed (7).jpg

Here's how it looked upon day of purchase:

DSC09777.JPG

...and this is what I sold prior to the LX:

Taco2.jpg

Taco3.jpg

Here's what went into that: Choyota's 2018 MGM LT+2 TRD *Locked* Sport 4x4 Build - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/choyotas-2018-mgm-lt-2-trd-locked-sport-4x4-build.703752/

Anyhow. This is what had been done so far within the first almost-year of ownership:

Maintenance Items:
- Swapped Trans Fluid, T-Case Fluid, F+R Diff Fluids, Oil Change
- Water Pump / TB service (before THE ENTIRE MOTOR NEEDED TO BE SWAPPED, see below)
- New Drive Belt, Thermostat Gasket, Coolant, PS hose swapped
- New Spark Plugs/Ignition Coils
- New OEM steering rack
- New Radiator
- Heater T inspection (was/is good)
- Address Valve Cover Gasket leak
- Address PS fluid leak
- Address Center Diff Lock light out (on dash)
- Address AC water leak (new gasket, water accumulated on passenger side floor)
- New AC blower (shortly thereafter the leak, few months)
- New In-Cabin Microfilters
- New Air Filter
- Cleaned MAF

Ultra-Minor Maintenance Items:
- Fixed all door light lens covers that popped out and replaced with LEDs
- Replaced all interior lights with LEDs
- Replaced a broken license plate light housing, replaced with LEDs
- Replaced Corner Light Bulb that was out
- Replaced seat heater bulb (never worked since acquisition)
- New windshield wipers, front and rear
- Fixed driver side door handle
- Fix Glove Box issue
- Replaced headunit display screen with a Alibaba replacement, 70% of the screen surface was inoperable
- New armrests (front, they were missing)
- 2nd row seating swapped (unsuitable condition previously)
- Replaced broken wheel stud
- Removed sidesteps
- Replaced weatherstrip in the rear
- Removed rest of the AHC hardware on the frame rails
- LED bulbs all around

A Bit More Fun Fixes/Upgrades:
- Installed @LandCruiserPhil mud-flap eliminators
- Installed Magnaflow muffler (12259), resonator-delete
- Installed Taiwan Headlights (original OEM in bad shape, broken tabs everywhere)
- Wanderer 4x4 Cup Holder Inserts
- New magnetic sunshades for 2nd Row
- New rubber floor mats
- Cover King seat covers (Saddle Blanket style)
- Installed Blue Ridge Overland attic storage
- Installed Ohana Rig Supply dash mount
- Replaced multiple goodies in the interior from Cruiser DM (T-Case Shift Knob + Shift Plate)
- Well Visors wind deflectors
- Sherpa Oxford Roof Rack
- Viper Ceramic 30 (procured by a fella in Oregon selling them)
- Custom southwestern style tailgate panel (using cheap Amazon rug)
- Victory4x4 molle panels (back windows)
- Drawers/Sleeping Platform
- Vinyl wrap hood (partial)
- Installed LED flasher relay (for hyperflash)
- DRL delete (snipping wire)
- Center console armrest re-leather (terrible job, btw)
- Added LEDs for hatch lighting (magnets, came with remote)
- Added Cruiser DM 3rd row rock light replacements (KC Cyclones)

Funner Upgrades aka Suspension Swap Info:
- New Eibach shocks/springs
- SPC UCAs, new OEM LCAs
- Swayaway Torsion Bars
- Durobump Bump Stops, Front and Rear
- New Swaybar bushings, Front and Rear
- Trail Tailor Extended Swaybar links
- Ironman Diff Drop
- New NAPA CVs and OEM Inner Seals
- New Rear Links (OEM upper, Dobinsons lower)
- New OEM Panhard Bar
- eimkeith Panhard Correction Kit (PCK)
- Rock sliders from Iron Ryno Fab
- Raceline Ryno 17x8.5 -0 offset Wheels
- Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 295/70-17

As it turned out, I ended up with rod knock. Long story short, I went on a road trip, heard some noises from the engine bay, I thought I had a loose spark plug, which I did. Replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils, turned out to be rod knock. There must have been some leak that didn't get addressed from a shop that I visited a few times. Oil levels seemed OK prior to the trip.

So, the whole motor was swapped, Long Block (new rod bearings, piston rings, head gasket, new valves, seals, freaking everything). Made the decision to sell my 2nd gen Tacoma at the same time.

Shortly thereafter, I started getting drips on my driveway from a leaking steering rack. So an OEM steering rack went in, new bushings, along with 555 tie rods.

Future plans (already purchased, too lazy to install or initiate action):
- Coastal Offroad Front Bumper (custom tube work planned)
- Rear Bumper with swingout
- Skids
- Auxbeam Install
- Valvomax Install
- Loncky Steering Wheel Cover
- Fix the D in the instrument panel
- Fix my auto up/down on front passenger window
- Fix the telescoping steering wheel

Last edited:
New Dobinsons lower links, panhard bar from Japan swapped in (thanks Ebay), Mevotech upper links from Rock Auto, the eimkeith PCK (Panhard Correction) welded in, and PS hose swapped. Had a leak.

Panhard Bar is now completely horizontal. Love it.

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

New Dobinsons lower links, panhard bar from Japan swapped in (thanks Ebay), Mevotech upper links from Rock Auto, the eimkeith PCK (Panhard Correction) welded in, and PS hose swapped. Had a leak.

Panhard Bar is now completely horizontal. Love it.

View attachment 3525979

View attachment 3525980

View attachment 3525981

View attachment 3525982

How did you panhard bar look after the axel side only was installed? I just did the axel side and only slightly out of level and it drives much better.

I haven't done the frame side yet out of fear it will make it slightly unlevel the other way.

How did you panhard bar look after the axel side only was installed? I just did the axel side and only slightly out of level and it drives much better.

I haven't done the frame side yet out of fear it will make it slightly unlevel the other way.

I haven't seen the angle with just one side, I took it to TJ Auto and Tommy welded in the PCK. Right now, it's basically dead on horizontal. That, along with the new arms and panhard bar with fresh bushings, the rear end rides 10x better.

Installed Victory4x4 molle panels. When I pulled the panel off, the original owner had a tshirt stuffed between the panel and the subwoofer. The foam surround disintegrated and fragments were laying on the top of the wheel-well bump. Pulled off the 3rd row seatbelts. Due to the nature of the grab handle orientation and the brackets Victory4x4 provided, the driver side is a little bit higher than the passenger side. No biggie.

IMG_6830.jpg

IMG_6829.jpg

Also installed the KC Hilites Rock Light (changed the lens to red) mount from Cruiser Manufacturing on the 3rd row dome light.

IMG_6831.jpg

What grille is that? Think it would look good to replaced the cracked one on my black onyx '00!

It was from Offer Up, from some GX guy who had the wrong grille sent to him. Got it cheap, but I think it was meant for 03-07, or whenever they changed the grille mounting points. So I had to discard the grille "frame" and make it work. Trip to the hardware store. Probably could get it off eBay.

Haven’t heard anything but heartbreak with these. Did you consider OEM?

I considered, still am. However, I know it's different since my Tacoma was mostly in RWD most of the time, but I've had NAPA on my Tacoma as trail spares after I broke my CV while wheelin', and they've been fine. Of course the LX is a different animal. However, so far so good. Will report back later. I mean, I've heard OEM have problems too, actually.

Inspired by many on this forum and Facebook groups, added rechargeable USB hatch lights from Amazon. It also has motion-sensors, but I don't see how it works too well because it hasn't so far. However, it does have a nifty remote and I can change colors between one of many.

1708134302200.png
1708134319051.png

Also I disabled the DRLs by snipping the red-blue wire on the far right. Thanks to the ih8mud forum members who posted about this. Popped in LED hi-beam bulbs once the DRL umbilical cord was cut.

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7452.PNG

Pretty excited to get these mounted up, there's an excellent fabricator in Lomita, CA whose Instagram page is @ironrynofabrication

He's starting to make sliders for 100s now (think the first set he's done was a few months back).

A little bit of the reason in pulling all the AHC stuff off the frame rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom