Rack is moving around, squiffy steering LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been feeling a bit of a strange feeling in the steering of our 1999 LX. I think I found the trouble to be the rack is moving around about 1/4" right and 1/4" left when I work the wheel at rest.

The rack looks like it is bushing mounted and the bushings might be worn out.

Anyone have a good link or thread on this issue?

Thanks!
Mac

found a few links, Debating factory vs upgraded to poly.

I bought poly and haven't yet installed them. If there was a rubber option if buy those instead. I'm wondering if poly will provide as much vibration and harshness resistance as rubber

Good you found links. Lots of info and tricks on replacing the rack bushings.

Slickspawn, where did you find the bushings?

There's a few good threads, some updated recently. Poly is the (only) way to go. Rubber bushings not available from Mr. T without the rack to go around them. The design really sucks, IMHO. Poly does not provide any objectionable vibration or feedback. I've had them installed for almost 2 years now. Big improvement in the steering feel. DIY install not that bad, either if you're somewhat mechanically inclined.

Ok thanks for the info, Ordered the kit on Amazon.

How hard is it to get the old bushings out?

Well, I did this job over the weekend. No lift, no air tools, just jack stands and hand tools. It was the most fiddly annoying job I have ever done.
If you are going to attempt this job here are a few tips.

Breaker bar. you are going to need a one to get the bolts to let go. I ended up using the tire iron on the end of the socket driver as there was no room for a traditional bar on the hoop bushing RHS

Getting the bushings out. I used a socket extension up through the cross member and slid the rack about 1/4" so I hit the metal insert. Then I whacked the bushings up and out of the rack with a hammer. My plan was to use clamps to press them out but there just isn't any room.

Bushings. I chamfered the edge of all the bushings just a touch. Totally impossible to do with out it. For the lowers, I lifted the rack up and slid the bushings under, I let the weight of the rack push the bushings up and in. The uppers were a real PIA. What finally worked was taking a piece of all thread I used 5/16" this may have been part of the problem. Larger may have guided me better. Then I put a large fender washer and nut on each side. Wrenching it down didn't work as it would cock to one side and jamb. I endued up aligning and pulling on the rod. Only took about 50 tries but they poped in.

The inserts... I thought this was going to end up with a call to a tow truck..

On the forward one, I used all thread and the fender waseher, the ONLY way to do this is through the cross member (See Potos) The chamfer let this move through as I wrenched down from the bottom. I did have to hold the all thread with pliers as it tried to spin too.

The rear one.... I made a tool for this (See Photo) The all thread and washer won't fit as it hits the oil pan. What I did was bend up the edge of the washer and use a wing nut. There is no room for a wrench so the wing nut has to hit the washer. This way I was able to pull the insert through.

Also take plenty of time. I had to walk away and go back at it in the am. No beer on this job or you will go insane.

Tool%20with%20bent%20washer_zps1nn54zpm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hate to hear about the issues. I've always heard this is a bear of a job (especially on the ground). Did you say you have photos?
+1, pictures would be awesome.
Against my better judgment I'll be attempting this soon.
Is this a "unbolt and engine mount and jack up the engine" deal? @4FLATS Do you think that would have helped?

Please give us an update on how your steering and ride are feeling after your installion?

If I understand correctly, you installed these bushings only:
Whiteline W13210 Front Steering Rack and Pinion Mount Bushing

I am looking at quite a few issues myself with my 99 front end. Dealer just told me it needs a whole new rack and pinion setup (leaking) and a new PS pump. Ouch. Want to also tackle all "soft goods" while we're dealing with it.

My version is here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/l-a-s-build-notes-2001-lx-470-in-black.825379/#post-9734981

I think the biggest difference is that I put the metal sleeve into the bottom bushing before I put the top of half of the bushing in. I used all thread and washers to make a press.

Its been a few weeks, and some off roading and so far no issues. A little bit more response at the steering wheel and it certainly holds its line better - and I get it aligned properly.

I could knock this job out in 2 hours if I had to do it again. Most of the time was wasted trying to move the rack around to get access to insert the bushings. When I decided to run the all thread down through the cross member mount/bolt holes it went much smoother. Jacking the engine up wouldn't be worth the effort.

The driving feel is a HUGE difference. We moved from FL (Very flat lands) to WA state (Mountains and winding roads) when descending big hills the wheels would hook ruts in the roads from the heavy trucks and the LX would want to do strange things / wonder around.

When I poped the bushings out they looked fine (Yes I did them all). The steering is 100% more accurate and precise. Totally worth the $ and the time.

140,000 miles

Keep in mind that I am not a pro, this is just how I did it in my driveway with jack stands and hand tools.

Please give us an update on how your steering and ride are feeling after your installion?

If I understand correctly, you installed these bushings only:
Whiteline W13210 Front Steering Rack and Pinion Mount Bushing

I am looking at quite a few issues myself with my 99 front end. Dealer just told me it needs a whole new rack and pinion setup (leaking) and a new PS pump. Ouch. Want to also tackle all "soft goods" while we're dealing with it.

My rack wasn't leaking, I was just chaceing a funky steering issue. Honestly had some white knuckle WTF moments. Dealer won't do the bushing kit it is not OEM. They have to do the whole rack and that costs jack.

Photos should be up now. Can you see the washer and wing nut? That was the key to pull the insert down into the bushing where I was hitting the oil pan.

With a bit more research I may have pre installed the bushing in the lower to avoid the need for the tool.

:beer::beer::beer: to you 4FLATS for taking this on as a "non-pro" - inspiring to me - also super-stoked to read your steering is 100% better now. Sounds like a solid investment in time, patience and $ for a major safety and pleasure enhancement to the vehicle. I am fired up to get mine feeling stellar on the road like original. Only had it 8 months and it needs love up front for sure. I can see plainly that all bushings are cracked and dry - So. Cal life of the vehicle. Maybe I don't need to replace the entire rack after all - just keep an eye on the leak and replace the bushings.
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience, tips and photos! :clap:

In my exasperation this morning @ the dealer, I test-drove a 2015 4Runner with thoughts to "upgrade" and get out of the repair-race with this Hundy - I wasn't impressed and happily jumped back in my old 99 LC. The young sales kid had never been in a 100-series so I made him get in mine and he flipped: "wow, this car is the best" - The size is terrific and I love the visual field and layout.

I preferred the ride and feel of my recently sold '96 80 to the '15 4Runner - with a little love, I'm hoping will feel the same about my '99!

#OLDSCHOOLRULES

CA Cruisin

Last edited:
@4FLATS much appreciated - yes the pictures help. Will be doing my 98 soon and I'll add some too.
:beer:

I could knock this job out in 2 hours if I had to do it again. Most of the time was wasted trying to move the rack around to get access to insert the bushings. When I decided to run the all thread down through the cross member mount/bolt holes it went much smoother. Jacking the engine up wouldn't be worth the effort.

The driving feel is a HUGE difference. We moved from FL (Very flat lands) to WA state (Mountains and winding roads) when descending big hills the wheels would hook ruts in the roads from the heavy trucks and the LX would want to do strange things / wonder around.

When I poped the bushings out they looked fine (Yes I did them all). The steering is 100% more accurate and precise. Totally worth the $ and the time.

140,000 miles

Keep in mind that I am not a pro, this is just how I did it in my driveway with jack stands and hand tools.

Photos should be up now. Can you see the washer and wing nut? That was the key to pull the insert down into the bushing where I was hitting the oil pan.

With a bit more research I may have pre installed the bushing in the lower to avoid the need for the tool.

:beer::beer::beer: to you 4FLATS for taking this on as a "non-pro" - inspiring to me - also super-stoked to read your steering is 100% better now. Sounds like a solid investment in time, patience and $ for a major safety and pleasure enhancement to the vehicle. I am fired up to get mine feeling stellar on the road like original. Only had it 8 months and it needs love up front for sure. I can see plainly that all bushings are cracked and dry - So. Cal life of the vehicle. Maybe I don't need to replace the entire rack after all - just keep an eye on the leak and replace the bushings.
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience, tips and photos! :clap:

In my exasperation this morning @ the dealer, I test-drove a 2015 4Runner with thoughts to "upgrade" and get out of the repair-race with this Hundy - I wasn't impressed and happily jumped back in my old 99 LC. The young sales kid had never been in a 100-series so I made him get in mine and he flipped: "wow, this car is the best" - The size is terrific and I love the visual field and layout.

I preferred the ride and feel of my recently sold '96 80 to the '15 4Runner - with a little love, I'm hoping will feel the same about my '99!

#OLDSCHOOLRULES

CA Cruisin

If your bushings are visibly cracked you have to do this right now. Mine looked great but with the motor off my 7 year old son working the wheel back and forth I could see the rack moving around. Yours must be a wild ride. I will load a pic of the old bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom