Quick tire question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had BFG ATs on my pickup - couldn't hear them at all (and I definitely am sensitive to tire noise). Granted they were new and I only kept the truck for about 20,000 more miles, but still...it isn't a loud tire by any means. They're quiet on my father's K5 too (and those definitely aren't new - wearing down pretty low).

Plenty of legit criticisms of the BFG KO...but noise really isn't one.

http://www.1010tires.com/tires/Reviews/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain+T-A+KO

Noise 2.5 from 5.0

15% off road is a LOT compared to many. Id seriously look at the BFG ATs...in at least a D rating. Probably only come in E though. I went with the similar tread Grabber AT2s. Just as quiet as any new tire. No sense in running highway tead Michelins if you are really off the pavement that much! If mud is always a possibility you will get your money out of the Duratracs...they are the closest AT to a mud tire you are going to find.

If price is an issue I highly recommend the Grabbers since they are quite a bit less than the KOs.
You see the LTX at2 tires on a lot of mine trucks here in Nevada. Those guys run probably 50/50 gravel and pavement with mud thrown in at times. I like them because of the sidewall rating and the quite smooth ride on and off road, based on current wear I think they will far exceed the last set of BFG AT's I had in terms of tread life. The slightly more aggressive tread on the BFG AT really isn't that big of an advantage off road and they tend to chunk if you rock crawl with them. The BFG AT's load up fast in mud and do not self clear, first hand experience, fifteen feet into deep mud and you are running on slicks.

If you want a serious off-road tire get the Toyo MTRs

You're right, because of one website (that I've never heard of) and reviews from other people (that I don't know), I'm going to change my opinion that is based on personal experience...

FYI, I can just as easily point out tire rack's reviews showing it as excellent on noise...and tirerack has a larger sample size:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO

At the end of the day, it's all opinion unless someone can point to a scientific test for noise (even that would be a guide only, as different road surfaces produce different noise levels). I would love to see a scientific test anyway...

You're right, because of one website (that I've never heard of) and reviews from other people (that I don't know), I'm going to change my opinion that is based on personal experience...

FYI, I can just as easily point out tire rack's reviews showing it as excellent on noise...and tirerack has a larger sample size:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain T/A KO

At the end of the day, it's all opinion unless someone can point to a scientific test for noise (even that would be a guide only, as different road surfaces produce different noise levels). I would love to see a scientific test anyway...
well we all different - I like slim blond with green eye and I enjoy her so much that I am loosing my head over her , you like some other chicks. same with tires. lol

Reactions: uHu
well we all different - I like slim blond with green eye and I enjoy her so much that I am loosing my head over her , you like some other chicks. same with tires. lol

I think we have a new winner in the "Strangest reply in a tire thread" category. I don't know what the previous best... errr strangest reply was, but no way it was remotely close. Congrats skhochray!

Oh, by the way skhochay, your video - the one you made - on what makes tires noisy is... uhm... it's not really accurate.

You state that there are two things that make a tire noisy...
1. The BFG is "oval" - referring to the footprint, e.g. the center is higher than the sides
2. "But that (referring to the "flat" cooper) doesn't matter. What matters is the wall (referring to the sidewall)... that the BFG has big gaps in the wall."

You're getting close with the second point - the larger voids in the BFG (an AT) are a factor in making the tire louder than the Cooper (a street tire). But, it's not the sidewall that's the primary factor...

The tread pattern and the size of the tire (the amount of air space) are the two primary factors determining how loud a tire is. As the tire rolls, the tread is really "striking" the street. Think of each lug striking the street independently. The larger the lugs and the larger the voids, the more significant those strikes.

Then comes tire size. Each of those strikes reverberates through the large space inside the tire - effectively turning it to a drum. The bigger the tire, the "bigger" the noise. Think of that kid with huge drum in the marching band... ever heard a truck on 44s on the street? Roughly the same sound.

As the tread rolls, it flexes, the lugs strike, air and water are pumped away from the center... this all makes noise. Tire engineers design the treads - ATs and MTs too - to minimize and cancel out those effects. They're getting really good at it too. Older mud terrains were comically loud.

Oh, by the way skhochay, your video - the one you made - on what makes tires noisy is... uhm... it's not really accurate.

You state that there are two things that make a tire noisy...
1. The BFG is "oval" - referring to the footprint, e.g. the center is higher than the sides
2. "But that (referring to the "flat" cooper) doesn't matter. What matters is the wall (referring to the sidewall)... that the BFG has big gaps in the wall."

You're getting close with the second point - the larger voids in the BFG (an AT) are a factor in making the tire louder than the Cooper (a street tire). But, it's not the sidewall that's the primary factor...

The tread pattern and the size of the tire (the amount of air space) are the two primary factors determining how loud a tire is. As the tire rolls, the tread is really "striking" the street. Think of each lug striking the street independently. The larger the lugs and the larger the voids, the more significant those strikes.

Then comes tire size. Each of those strikes reverberates through the large space inside the tire - effectively turning it to a drum. The bigger the tire, the "bigger" the noise. Think of that kid with huge drum in the marching band... ever heard a truck on 44s on the street? Roughly the same sound.

As the tread rolls, it flexes, the lugs strike, air and water are pumped away from the center... this all makes noise. Tire engineers design the treads - ATs and MTs too - to minimize and cancel out those effects. They're getting really good at it too. Older mud terrains were comically loud.
I think I show well for you what makes tire noise - it is the side wall pattern between the threads - you have more to can shot the vid show us.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a set of Cooper Discovery 265/75/R16 on another truck I thought about putting on there or saving for spares. I assume those would fit my LC 100 rims? Currently the tires on the LC are 275/70/R16.

Think I've decided to go with the Yokohama AT-S in a 275/70/16 partly for the price and because they seem to be a good in between for what I need. People I've talked to seemed to have good things to say about them and they should look good as well. Thanks for the help.

I put the yokohama ats on a couple months ago and I am pleased. I'd get them again next time too

Update on Yokohama Geolander ATs, so far they've done really well, took a road trip 8 hrs each way and was off road w some sketchy mud for a few days. I was totally confident to stop in the middle of muddy ruts and not feel like I was going to get stuck. They also did really well on the highway. So far I'm very pleased with them, thanks for the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom