Quick tire question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to put tires on my 2000 Cruiser. It spends probably 85% on the road and the rest on dry dirt roads with occasional muddy conditions. It had Michelins which have been great but also almost got stuck in wet grass once so the next tires I get will be more of an AT or similar. My question is between BFG rugged terrain and BFG AT will I see much difference in gas mileage from what I've got? I'm leaning towards the rugged terrains partly due to price, and they look like they'd be good road tires
, but they may not be any better off road than the Michelins.. Thanks for any help.

Rugged Terrains are made to look aggressive but are not. BFG is appealing to those wanting a rugged look without the performance. Need to talk to others that have used them before buying. I'm sure it's a good tire but may not perform off road very well.

I'm a Nitto Terra Grappler guy and think they are low noise, long lasting and reasonably aggressive. They are not mud slingers but suit my needs just fine. May not be for everyone.

Last edited:
BFG All Terrains or Goodyear Duratecs would be my picks. I've had several different tires on my 100 over 16 years and have seen no difference in mileage between tires except for the Dunlop MT and BFG Mud Terrain. Both of those dropped my mileage 2 mpg and were noisy (no surprise). But if you need them you need them.

Last edited:
Since your question is about gas mileage, pay attention to tire weight and rolling resistance. If you are currently running standard load Michelins and switch to either of the BFGs, you may be adding as much as 40 lbs of rotating mass and unsprung weight. That may lower gas mileage and affect performance and handling. If your current tires are E rated Michelins, the weight difference will be only a few pounds. Rolling resistance is reported by a few places that test tires, so do a search for that with the brands/models you're interested in. That may help you decide between the BFGs.

stick with Michelins no BFG as they are noisy . what you got to do when you stuck is to deflate tire to 15 PSI and slowly try to get out no fast movements as you will dig yourself in deeper. That is the ultimate trick in the book.

I have Falkens Wild Peak / Rocky Mountain AT tires in 285 and have been super impressed with them on and off road.

If they come in the stock size, they are worth considering. I purchased mine from americastire.com.

IMG_7862 copy.jpg

Check out yokohama geolander ats. I put them on my 2000 cruiser. So far impressed. Nice aggressive look and should be good in the snow. They ride great and only have a slight hum at 45 mph and under. I saw no mpg difference going from michelin ltx to the yokohama.

1419824020638.jpg

I was in the same predicament last week and went with Nitto Terra Grappler AT's (295/75r16). They are not loud, and look great. I have always been pleased with the stock LC look, but got the Nitto's/powder coated wheels and removed running boards all in the same day. Game changer.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419827348.179296.jpg

stick with Michelins no BFG as they are noisy

Gotta disagree with you on this one. My '06 came with Michelins (Latitude HP) and I was convinced they were the worst tires I'd ever had - they rode like bricks and loud. I swapped to the BFG ATs. I was afraid they'd be, well like truck tires, e.g. loud and rough. The guys on this forum basically said "trust us, you'll love them". I was blown away by how smooth and quiet the tires were. 50,000 miles later - the same tires are still quieter than the Michelins.

There are a handful of tires that the guys on this forum are fans of. Each tire has its pros and cons... and each tire has about 15 threads dedicated it to it. ;)

Gotta disagree with you on this one. My '06 came with Michelins (Latitude HP) and I was convinced they were the worst tires I'd ever had - they rode like bricks and loud.

Curious about this as I've been running Michelins on my TLCs for a looong time, and never had that experience, unless the tires had not been cared for (alignment out of spec causing cupping, etc. or relatively old age causing tires to get hard). I had the Latitudes on my LX for a while. Got rid of them when the wore out, which was relatively quickly (45k). Wouldn't use them again for the quick wear issue. M/S and the A/T Michelins have been very quiet and very long lasting. Running A/T2s on both my trucks and they do not exhibit any of the issues you mention. 60k miles currently on those on my LC now, with lots of tread left. 80k is on the horizon.

I had BFGs on my 60 series, which were old and hard and no traction on wet pavement. I replaced those with the A/Ts and it was a different world ! Soooo much better.

Last edited:
Super90, your point is solid. Old tires suck - loud, rough (if poorly cared for), etc. New tires are quiet, smooth. My Michelins, if original, had 39,000 when I replaced them. Not old or worn out, but far from new. I didn't look to see if they were cupped or unevenly worn - they were being replaced either way.

Another factor we don't talk much about is the truck - a 60 vs a 100 is a great example. Any tire on a 100 will seem smoothER than on a 60 (or CJ in my case). It sucks to admit, but those magazine tests -where they test 10 tires on the same truck over the same terrain - are probably the only remotely objective source we have... well, when they actually include the tires we like ;)

I was a BFG AT fan for years, not so much any more. Their quality, ride and durability seems to have gone down hill in recent years. Even compared to the older BFG AT's the LTX AT2 is much better on snow and ice IMHO.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. My '06 came with Michelins (Latitude HP) and I was convinced they were the worst tires I'd ever had - they rode like bricks and loud. I swapped to the BFG ATs. I was afraid they'd be, well like truck tires, e.g. loud and rough. The guys on this forum basically said "trust us, you'll love them". I was blown away by how smooth and quiet the tires were. 50,000 miles later - the same tires are still quieter than the Michelins.

There are a handful of tires that the guys on this forum are fans of. Each tire has its pros and cons... and each tire has about 15 threads dedicated it to it. ;)
I disagree with you 3 times that BFG AT are not loud compare to Michelins (Latitude HP) , you must have reverse effect hearing problem.

Sorry skhochay... must be a language barrier. I wasn't really sure what you meant by this "stick with Michelins no BFG as they are noisy". Couldn't tell if that was a pro-BFG or anti-BFG comment. Still have no idea.

What's that old saying "Let's just agree to... uhm, have no idea what the other is saying" ;)

I disagree with you 3 times that BFG AT are not loud compare to Michelins (Latitude HP) , you must have reverse effect hearing problem.

I had BFG ATs on my pickup - couldn't hear them at all (and I definitely am sensitive to tire noise). Granted they were new and I only kept the truck for about 20,000 more miles, but still...it isn't a loud tire by any means. They're quiet on my father's K5 too (and those definitely aren't new - wearing down pretty low).

Plenty of legit criticisms of the BFG KO...but noise really isn't one.

15% off road is a LOT compared to many. Id seriously look at the BFG ATs...in at least a D rating. Probably only come in E though. I went with the similar tread Grabber AT2s. Just as quiet as any new tire. No sense in running highway tead Michelins if you are really off the pavement that much! If mud is always a possibility you will get your money out of the Duratracs...they are the closest AT to a mud tire you are going to find.

If price is an issue I highly recommend the Grabbers since they are quite a bit less than the KOs.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419964536.954013.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419964549.921258.jpg

My 275/65/18 grabber at2's with 25,000 miles are getting swapped out for 295/65/18 duratracs. Christmas mail must be backed up. Where are my lift parts!?

Generals are a fine tire on dry days or in the snow. But like every other AT tire, it struggles with mud. If I bought the 275/70/18 grabbers, I would not have bought new tires for this lift.

On the other hand, I'm stoked for duratracs. LOOK at those things!

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom