Puking Gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alexanderimaging.com
Hey All,

I searched and found people w/ similar probs..but thought I'd ask anyhow. I had a full tank, and was wheeling up some steep ledges around Donner summit, so 9k elevation, was going up a ledge and started smelling gas, gas was just puking out my gas door....

I figure bad cap, as it was puking out, I tried to tighten it, thinking I must not have tightened it all the way at the fill up, an hour before..but no, it kept clicking....gas kept spraying out of it....

It was very warm out..90 degrees or so....tank had major pressure....is this supposed to release through the Charcoal Canister..do i maybe have a plugged line leading to it...or...is the gas cap shot, which by the way is not oem, and is only a year old. Bought it to pass my last smog...

So i will get a new cap, as it seems this one could not take the pressure..ha ha, but should I be looking for a clog around the CC?

Thanks

Jeff

Lower pressure and higher temperatures make the gas expand.

I was just traveling in the 7k to 10k elevation range. Plenty warm temps (80's), and no puking of gas.

I'd suspect that something is plugged, or your gas cap is bad. Get a new one and start digging in the FSM for testing procedures.

So..

Nobody knows if there is a pressure line, running anywhere, like the charcoal can...?

Thanks

Jeff,

I have a lot of pressure in same conditions - no gas spitting though. I have fuel smell around the ds fender at that point too and narrowed to the charcoal canister.
I think it is just full and the charcoal is used up/clogged.

I took it out to see and there are 2 hoses at the top and a 3rd hidden at the bottome that just ends open- like a drain.
the 2 hoses at the top are marked as one-way valves. one in, one out. It is possible one of these valves are clogged but there is no way to replace it.

I want to just get a screw top can of similar size and add a couple check valves to mimic the canister and dump a bunch of charcoal inside. A new one costs around $250-300 I think.
in the short term, was going to cut it open and dump the old charcoal and add some new stuff- jb weld it shut.

mine did the same thing. i repalced the gas cap and it helped. it stopped spitting but the pressure was still there. it was so bad it was causing the truck to run bad. i went through the repair manual and found that there is a cleaning or declogging procedure for the canister. after that it seems ok. i still get alot of pressure but the spiting and the rough run are gone..if this helps at all. if you dont have the proper docs to perform the diag let me know and i can fax what ever you need...

I'd like to have that info !

. if you dont have the proper docs to perform the diag let me know and i can fax what ever you need...

I have threatened - but not done it yet - to change out the cannister on my '94 due to an intermittent CEL - 71, I think :hmm:.

Has to do w/ the EGR at any rate, and seems to be related to how much I fill up the tank. 3 clicks after "full" w/ the gas pump seems to be the magic number - any more and the light comes on around ~ 7/8 tank. Here lately it will flash on and disappear after 30 seconds or less - prior to that it would stay on until the ECM fuse was pulled.

Gotta love non OBD II for that feature ! :grinpimp:

Fax is (713) 680 8546 at work.

Thanks ! :D

Britt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom