Project Old Fart 1960 FJ25 softop (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pardion

SILVER Star
Threads
Everything is dissasembled now, the (temporary) sprung over frame has been pushed outside and has had a bath, It's amazing how good the 46 year old cream colored paint has held up. About 10 lbs. of mud and rocks are now removed from inside the frame channels. I'm doing the metal fabwork on the tub before it gets media blasted. 165 holes needed to be welded up or patched. So far about 100 are done. The large parts to fix are the 3 gauge holes in the dash, the radio cutout in the dash, the 5" dia. holes in the rear from resessed tail and stop lights, and the normal cruiser rust in the back channel. I had a local sheet metal shop brake me a new c-channel to replace the bad one, $4.67, Must be some profit for these aftermarket sheet metal parts. I hope to have the tub all welded this weekend. John Pardi

sounds like its comin along nicely, but im afraid im gonna have to say it, we need some pictures... :D

how the project turns out well

Can I ask why you are doing the metal work before the media blasting? On mine, my thoughts were to have it blasted first to expose any other weak metal, then fix what needs fixing.

foxfab said:
Can I ask why you are doing the metal work before the media blasting? On mine, my thoughts were to have it blasted first to expose any other weak metal, then fix what needs fixing.
I'm doing the repairs and metal repairs first because luckally rust is not that bad, just the rear channel and bottom corners, mabye the 6 paint jobs this one had helped preserve it. when it comes back from the blasting i'll be ready to acid etch prime, underneath the tub, firewall and any areas that do not need filler. this way they won't flash rust while sanding, sanding and sanding. John #3

Hey John-Looks like the staff photographer won't be around any time soon, a green group via the 9th (?) circuit court has closed the sale, so I'm getting a lot of hot tub time in MT...sooo, I guess I'll send the goods out soon (give ya time to add to your list if tou want)....I WILL be down, I don't know when, my truck is still loaded with Pig parts for Greg

Hey, even John #1 has figured out the old digital camera. ;)

Are you going to keep the original look (wheels, seats, etc.?) and just update the drivetrain?

Oh, and what year is this FJ25 John, and what kind of project would you call it, rebuild? resto? resto-mod?:D

Cruiser_Nerd said:
Hey, even John #1 has figured out the old digital camera. ;)
Heck . . . I even went out and bought a digital camera just for this board.

Where are the darn pics, Mr. #3?? :confused:

Okay guys and gals, give me a week and I'll be a photo journalist, but till then I have work to do. Jim I guess this is a rebuild/restore/renew get it back on the road job. most everything from the body up will be 99% stock 1960 FJ25 softop. I using a 2f enginge 78 4 speed tranny and transfer case, 1962/40 rear axle housing with 69/40 brakes and 1979/40 3.70 third member. Front axle is the stock 1960 with ball claw axles, 69 brakes and 79/40 3.70 third member, with drive flanges so I can have the stock non cut out hubcaps. Cut the body more than I thought I would today, Welded 46 holes up on the firewall, then started cutting the back channel off and noticed how badly dented the floor panel was so I cut it out. I grabbed a tub from a donor 76/softop 40 in the yard and cut the rear bed area out to put in the 25. I can use the piece I had made up to cap the rear and cover the 76 rabbit for the ambulance doors. "Film at 11", Thanks, John

Sounds lke an interesting and slick build-up, John.

Are you going with the 3.70 third members (as opposed to 4.11) because they're already packed with those R&P's?

What are you going to be using for the actual soft-top . . . . the bows and/or fabric from your '76 40 soft-top?

How about front doors and tailgate style?

What color is (or will be) your 25?

pardion said:
"Film at 11"
I've got my TV set tuned and standing by!! :D

pardion said:
Front axle is the stock 1960 with ball claw axles, 69 brakes
Are you swapping out the 1960's front backing plates to accomadate the 1969's wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, etc.?? Single or dual curcuit MC? :confused:

pardion said:
Front axle is the stock 1960 with ball claw axles, 69 brakes and 79/40 3.70 third member, with drive flanges so I can have the stock non cut out hubcaps.

Now that sounds like something I would do!! :D

LandCruiserSteve said:
Sounds lke an interesting and slick build-up, John.

Are you going with the 3.70 third members (as opposed to 4.11) because they're already packed with those R&P's?

What are you going to be using for the actual soft-top . . . . the bows and/or fabric from your '76 40 soft-top?

How about front doors and tailgate style?

What color is (or will be) your 25?

I've got my TV set tuned and standing by!! :D
I'm using 3.70's so the boig 6 engine is not screaming wile driving 65 mph (yes I plan on using this as a daily driver in the summer). I still need to find or make a factory B type softop frame doors and canvass. This is a tailgate model with jump seats. Not sure what color yet. John

LandCruiserSteve said:
Are you swapping out the 1960's front backing plates to accomadate the 1969's wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, etc.?? Single or dual curcuit MC? :confused:
Lets just say 1968 from the knuckles out, Dual. John

FJnotCJ said:
Hey John-Looks like the staff photographer won't be around any time soon, a green group via the 9th (?) circuit court has closed the sale, so I'm getting a lot of hot tub time in MT...sooo, I guess I'll send the goods out soon (give ya time to add to your list if tou want)....I WILL be down, I don't know when, my truck is still loaded with Pig parts for Greg
I'll just push your pile of stuff further into the corner of the shop. Parts needed, bottom front bumper gusset thingeys (or drawing) ----- strap that goes over tool box (or drawing) ---I need something to put my factory HHH padlock on. ---Choke knob and cable ----bracket for hand crank for front bumper (or drawing) --- parts to fix one wiper motor (John 2 ) That's all right now. John

I conducted a suprise inspection of the Pardi garage last night, found him marking the wheel wells for slightly larger tires "while the sawsall is out"...Sadie the Merciless rides in expansive cargo area
P1310004.JPG
P1310006.JPG

Lots of extra holes are filled....rust repairs underway...things are coming right along! John showed me a possible factory heater switch, I shoulda got a pic of that...impressive parts piles!
P1310005.JPG
P1310008.JPG

John do you still need a picture and drawing of the bottom bumper gussets? I will be at the cabin this weekend and can trace you a drawing of a stock one.

John

The bumper gusset template is comming from Phil. I need---drawing or pattern for the engine crank handle bracket that attaches to the front bumper, battery tray,drawing or pattern. Thanks in advance, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom