Builds Project 200 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ This'll be worth following. :popcorn: :beer:

Won't you lose the CRAWL feature by doing this?:confused:

Crawl should still work... though the system might get confused... not sure yet. I don't use the feature often, if ever, so not a huge concern.

OK... keeping in line with the front E-locker, a 4.30 rear E-locker will arrive tomorrow. The rear LSD is getting nixed in order to maintain high speed stability in adverse on road conditions.

The E-locker will be relatively easy to add with minor housing mods and a slightly custom right side axle shaft be the requirements. Since I'm increasing the track width, the oversized 1.457" axle shaft from a 10.5" Tundra axle will be turned down and re-splined for the 1.37" 32 spline LC. Pics when it happens.

Crawl should still work... though the system might get confused... not sure yet. I don't use the feature often, if ever, so not a huge concern.

I guess CRAWL would still work when the locker(s) are NOT engaged, but it would be impossible for CRAWL to brake one wheel on the axle when the lockers ARE engaged.

Could very well be the proverbial "best of both worlds!"

Very interesting project - looking forward to watching this one.

Thanks for sharing.

:cheers:

I guess CRAWL would still work when the locker(s) are NOT engaged, but it would be impossible for CRAWL to brake one wheel on the axle when the lockers ARE engaged.

I think you may be confusing CRAWL with TRAC (or is it ATRAC on the 200 ... I cannot remember ... basically the traction control). They both are based upon braking, but CRAWL is closer to a low speed cruise control that modulates speed via brakes and/or throttle. The braking of individual wheels is the traction control system.

Easy to get crossed up since they are integrated and use the braking system.

Either that or I am totally confused :eek: it has happened before and will again .. :rolleyes: :meh:

I think you may be confusing CRAWL with TRAC (or is it ATRAC on the 200 ... I cannot remember ... basically the traction control). They both are based upon braking, but CRAWL is closer to a low speed cruise control that modulates speed via brakes and/or throttle. The braking of individual wheels is the traction control system.

Easy to get crossed up since they are integrated and use the braking system.

Either that or I am totally confused :eek: it has happened before and will again .. :rolleyes: :meh:

The braking of individual wheels is also the CRAWL system.

Yes, CRAWL is like a low speed cruise control, but it regulates the amount of slip allowed at each wheel.

When that allowable amount of slip is exceeded, CRAWL brakes the slipping wheel and directs torque to wheels that are not slipping.

All that within a certain speed range selected by the five position rotary switch.

Most videos of CRAWL in action show a LC200 making it up a rocky slope at a steady pace with the driver having to do nothing bu steer. While this is certainly one use for the CRAWL system, I think it seriously understates the capabilies of the system and misleads us into thinking of it as something a neophyte might use.

In my view, the greatest advantage of the CRAWL system is in freeing a stuck vehicle. When totally bogged down in sand, for example, engaging CRAWL mode will allow the vehicle to free itself when, arguably, it could not have done so in the absence of the CRAWL feature without the help of another vehicle or a winch. It does this by controlling the amount of torque delivered to each wheel independently based on the amount of wheel slippage at each wheel.

Here is a great video showing what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWBX-YxFfg&feature=fvwp

The vehicle is stuck up to the axles in sand and unable to free itself.

At 1:52 in the video, CRAWL mode is turned on and with no other intervention by the driver than steering, the vehicle proceeds to free itself.

That, to me, is an amazing feature.

gaijin -

I think we are arguing about semantics here .. ie saying the same thing.

I believe that the individual braking is a part of the A-TRAC and the the overall speed control is a part of CRAWL. The systems are so tightly integrated, that it is hard sometimes to distinguish them.

At any rate, the system that Brian is working on will be quite interesting.

Now back to Brian coming up with ways to drain our wallets and push the capabilities of our rigs :steer:

^^^ love it!!!

I just got my 200 and can't wait to try out Crawl mode:cheers:

I just got my 200 and can't wait to try out Crawl mode:cheers:

Don't be surprised by the noise - you'll think something is broken and your rig is trying to self-destruct :eek:

Not to worry, it's all normal.

thanks for the heads up on that, so the speed is controlled by the switch on the center consol, correct? how do you do the terrain select?

thanks for the heads up on that, so the speed is controlled by the switch on the center consol, correct? how do you do the terrain select?

Stop the truck
Keep foot on brake
Put the gear selector in N
Select L4 for 4 wheel drive Low Range
Select terrain with rotary switch
Keep foot on brake
Put gear selector in D or R
Turn on CRAWL Control (push button above rotary switch)
Select desired speed with rotary switch
Take foot off brake and just steer - no gas pedal or brake

It's a wonderful thing :D

thanks, I"m gonna give it a go this weekend...:cheers:

4.30 E-locker

4.30elocker.jpg

Ah, subscribed.... Ah updated pics of your rig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom