PO401 and EGR/air intake manifold with pictures (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a nice carbon dam! Are you pulling the complete intake manifold off to clean it?

Great thread, currently doing this on a friends 80 at 254k miles. Definitely needed the attention you gave yours. Completely plugged.

Would have been easier to drop a drill bit in. Then lose it. Then be ridiculed. Then figure out a way to flip the truck over. Then finally figuring out a way to remove said drill bit. YMMV

Would have been easier to drop a drill bit in. Then lose it. Then be ridiculed. Then figure out a way to flip the truck over. Then finally figuring out a way to remove said drill bit. YMMV

Thanks to your prior experience and post I was able to avoid going down that road ;)

That is a nice carbon dam! Are you pulling the complete intake manifold off to clean it?

Yes - definitely. My pappy always say... 'Do it right boy or I'll smack ya'.

Getting ready to do mine now, Hope to do it in a night. Pictures of stuff - like the OP got the injectors cleaned (peace of mind). Greatfull for this thread!

Edit: I will add that I pulled the items off a 150k mile engine I have and while it was clean in comparison to my buddies, I scraped out a bunch of carbon.... Chunks and I don't think I'd want those chunks floating around in the engine had I used a drill bit.... even with a vacuum.

IMG-20130401-00704.jpg

IMG-20130401-00705.jpg

IMG-20130401-00706.jpg

Last edited:
Also bypassed the intake plenum vacuum by running a vacuum hose to the modulator.

This is probably simple, but could someone elaborate on this?

10 Reasons to do this right. Like Cahill did, I'd advise doing the Valve cover gasket, Injector cleaning, spark plug grommet things, Gas filter, PCV Valve and all new vacuum / gas hose while you are in there. Think it costed me about $250 total through C-dan, $150 for injector cleaning (new gaskets, filter, cleaning ect)... so about $400 total. Estimate 12 hours labor first time

1. You know it will be done right
2. You will be able to see how your rig was treated if it had PO's (under the valve cover... if caked, they didn't change the oil much... if clean... it was treated well with frequent oil changes)
3. You will eliminate your P0401 code.
4. You will realize how many cracked hoses you have and have peace of mind.
5. You know everything will be torqued right
6. You can clean up everything in there while you are at it
7. You will realize how badly your truck needed it
8. You can enjoy the smoother sound of your engine when it starts up.
9. You won't have to address pretty much anything in this area for a long time.
10. You might get better MPG
11. You will save a ton of money by doing it yourself

Some tips and findings after doing my second one.

A. Make sure you have a swivel bit (you will need it for one bolt under the intake)
B. Work in a clean area and put your bolts back where they went after you take them out.
C. 5mm socket is a must
D. 3 cans of B12 throttle body cleaner or just buy a gallon of the stuff and use a paint brush to clean (better for your lungs and the air).
E. When putting your injectors back in, put them in the intake first, then slowly and starting at the front of the engine seat them in till you get to that back of the engine. Make sure they all turn and are seated top and bottom. Installing from the fuel rail may cause the lower gaskets/seals to get lost in the engine compartment. Not fun.
F. Have an extendable magnet... I think I still have a few sockets in the engine compartment somewhere.
G. A Mirror is beneficial to make sure the crush washer for the banjo bolt is off (the bottom).
H. Make sure you stuff something in the intake so you don't drop anything in there.
I. Have a buddie there to hold the firewall heater hose so you can get the valve cover on without losing the gasket.
J. Use the backend of a socket that is the same size of the Spark Plug/Valve cover gromet things...
K. Clean everything when you have it out... make is much easier to put back in.
L. Have a factory Service Manual, this process is all documented in there regarding taking it apart and putting it back together.
M. Plan 12 hours if you've never done it before. My second one took me 10. Cleaning is one of the longest parts. Tear down takes 2 hours, reassembly 4, cleaning 4 (bolts, intake, valve cover, throttle body etc.)
N. Injectors take time, a week turnaround unless you have a day deal... the guys up here don't take calls, don't accept drop offs and yep... awesomeness... but they do a great job. Plan to have your car down, unless someone pays it forward on some clean injectors.
O. thats enough... how bout some pictures.

IMG-20130403-00743.jpg

IMG-20130403-00741.jpg

IMG-20130402-00729.jpg

Old and new, why you should do it.

IMG-20130403-00742.jpg

IMG-20130403-00738.jpg

IMG-20130403-00739.jpg

some more old.

IMG-20130402-00722.jpg

IMG-20130402-00718.jpg

IMG-20130402-00723.jpg

K, this is enough evidence of why you should do this, you will fix/restore a ton while you are in there.

My rig at 201k sounded like crap before, and now it sounds reaaaaly good and responds so much better. I still want to replace the plug wires... but that will need to wait for a while. Highly recommend this and thank for motivating me Cahill!

IMG-20130402-00715.jpg

IMG-20130403-00740.jpg

IMG-20130402-00712.jpg

Mike.... Fantastic documentation! Great job.

Nice job Mike, glad I was able to contribute to your motivation. The cost of having someone else do it and the need to pass CA smog was enough for me :) Thanks for adding the pictures and additional tips. Just out of curiosity - is the green FJ-40 looking truck in you garage an 80 series with a 40 series body?

Nice job Mike, glad I was able to contribute to your motivation. The cost of having someone else do it and the need to pass CA smog was enough for me :) Thanks for adding the pictures and additional tips. Just out of curiosity - is the green FJ-40 looking truck in you garage an 80 series with a 40 series body?

Hey there, I couldn't have gone through this process (now done it 3 times) without your trail blazing to give me confidence.

That FJ40 is Just a very heavily modded 78 that I haven't shared pictures of yet. I have another 78 and a 70 too that I'm going to tinker with some day. I'd like to put the other 78 on an 80 but I'm still a 1:banana: kind of guy still. When I grow up, a 40 shell on an 80 would be comfy!

Sorry to hijack! Hijack over!

:banana:You didn't hijack at all. The whole point of posting the thread in the first place was to consollidate some of what was out there regarding the EGR/P0401 and get pictures of it to help people out and help me remember where things were supposed to go once taken apart. I'm a one :banana: guy too. and if it wasn't for other people contributing to this forum I would never have had the courage to work on my landcruiser. It is good to be able to do some of it and I hope to continue developing my knowledge and skills.

Thanks for adding to the post to show that it can be done and I hope to see your 78 body on an 80 if you get around to it some day.

Just a little update - I don't know why or what did it, but I am now getting 14-15mpg again vs the 10 before doing this. Edit: and 2 more check engine lights are now on that I need to address - P0130 and 133 I think, been a while since I checked.

Uh oh

Help please: does anyone have a pic of what this hose connects to on the back of the throttle body?

I am so disappointed. With the help of the FSM but most especially threads like this--thanks cahill! and others--I dove into this cleaning a couple weeks ago; injectors sent out for cleaning, everything looking good, I buttoned it all back up this afternoon... only to discover this hose had been missed. I can't believe it :bang:

Do I have to take off the top again? I'm afraid of the answer... but in the meantime was hoping someone might help point out the connection I missed--which I fear is under that upper intake I worked so hard to bolt back up.

Argh.

hose.jpg

It is tight in there. Have a beer and sleep on it. Probably not the answer you are looking for. Do you have some long needle nose or needle clip pliers? You might be able to reach in and pull it over to the install location? Sucks when this happens, but often my dreams tell me what to do... where there is a will...

A beer sounds good. In the meantime, I'm just trying to visualize what the connection point is, what it looks like, where it is approximately. Going thru all the pics I took of the process...and nothing.

A beer sounds good. In the meantime, I'm just trying to visualize what the connection point is, what it looks like, where it is approximately. Going thru all the pics I took of the process...and nothing.

OH! You are looking for where it goes - gotcha - my bad.

I have an engine sitting right outside my front door. If the Throttle body is off, it may be easier to attach.

Here are some pictures. According to the pictures, if you are looking down on the intake this is where it goes. Hopefully this helps.

IMG-20130519-01074.jpg

IMG-20130519-01075.jpg

IMG-20130519-01076.jpg

Ah!!! Awesome- so it attaches under the cable area. That is a whole lot less scary. I am down with taking off the throttle body; that wasnt so bad. Thanks a million, Mikestra. Now that I know the area to focus on, I'll dive into it tomorrow after work.

Good to know you have an engine sitting where its easy to grab reference shots. (I may be bugging you again.) Cheers.

Mikesta- clearly I am a visual learner. Thanks to your pics, it took me 5 min to connect that no. 1 bypass hose under the throttle. Boom.

Now onto reconnecting the cables, add back the airbox, connect battery, and cross fingers. I'm racing daylight tonite.

EDIT: **I did it!** She's alive! One cough and then started up just fine. Idles sooooo smoothly (clean injectors?), feels just a bit peppier (reconnecting cables?). I won't be quitting my day job anytime soon, but this was a good day. I've always loved my cruisers; feels great to be less and less intimidated by em ;)

Thanks Cahill and Mikestra for this thread in particular (and all who've come before in related discussions.)

image-2326484452.jpg

And yes, after all this, you bet your britches I'll be adding a catch can.

image-2326484452.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom