Builds Peter's Ultimate Expo Land Cruiser Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
gallery.2slow.ca
Hello Mudders!
I have recently put a stop work order on the Zed, the Ultimate Land Cruiser project as a result of three changes.

1. Two Car accidents this year have dramatically changed my ‘Daily driver’ situation, and to make a long story short, Zed, the BJ74 will be my daily driver, and not be the subject of a project build at this time.

2. As a result the diet program, the 75/79 series cabs are no longer uncomfortably small. A year ago I bought a shirt in size 6XL. Last weekend I bought a 2XL which I am wearing today, quite comfortably.

3. I was wrong. It’s OK, I can admit it, but I was wrong on at least 2 fronts.
a. While I still believe the BJ74 is the very best platform of Land Cruiser of all time, it is about 50cm too short to be the best ‘Expo’ cruiser platform. The RTT just doesn’t sit behind the cab with adequate room for a few weeks worth of gear and supplies.
b. The Land Cruiser drive line has some striking weaknesses which I can no longer ignore. I’ve spent the past 20 years defending the and working around these problems, and I’ve decided to embrace the truth, and abandon the ‘All Toyota’ faith.

I am sure we will have ample opportunity to debate the merits of different approaches, but for the record, let me admit publically, I was wrong to believe that all Toyota parts are the "best" parts.

What follows is my attempt at an IH8MUD build thread. I’ve never succeeded at one of these, so I am learning as I do this…

Last edited:
Requirements

In my professional life, I constantly advocate for clear understanding of real business requirements which inform resulting design decisions. I give you…. Peter’s Ultimate Expo Land Cruiser Requirements:

- Capable – 4+ Trails such as Rubicon/Fordyce

- Comfortable – 12 hours days on gravel roads or freeways

- Powerful – Maintain 8% grade at 65 mph with 1 downshift. Tow 8,000lbs at freeways speeds.

- Reliable – one major breakdown for every 200km of trail. One major breakdown for every 50,000 road kms. 400,000 km lifespan.

- Repairable – Wearable and Breakable parts available in N. & S. America, and Australian Markets.

- Convenient –15 minute Camp Set-up/tear down.

- Long Distance – 10 day capacity without resupply.

- Expo-able – Can Pass Alberta Vehicle Safety inspection. Can fit in a standard 20' shipping container.

Last edited:
Design Specifications

Considering the Requirements, I’ve had to pass on the MegaCruiser as a platform for the ‘Repairable’ requirement, and have chosen to abandon the Toyota axles for the ‘Reliable’ requirement, and am dropping the Toyota Driveline for the ‘Powerful’ requirement.

Notice that my requirements don’t necessarily include “Impress Toyota Purists with steadfast adherence to the Toyota Brand” or “Look Pretty”.

So, after 15 years of offroading to build an understanding of my requirements, and after 1,547 days of design (yup, I looked it up… that is literally how long I’ve been debating the right design to meet these requirements) I give you…

Peter’s Ultimate Expo Land Cruiser:

Frame: 1986 CDM BJ70 Frame with valid Alberta registration, already registered in my name and previously insured… “Zippo, the Cruiser which Bursts Into Flames” will ignite once more. Well, the frame will.

Body: The cab of a 2004 HZJ79. It’s a former LHD Mine Truck cab, in reasonable condition.

Engine: 2005 Cummins 5.9 ISB

Transmission: ZF S6-650

Transfer Case: Atlas 4, all 32 spline, 10:1 low

Suspension: 5 link front, 4 link rear. Air Bags rear.

Rollers: Michelin XL 12.50R20 tires (40.6” tall), Trail Ready DOT double beadlocks wheels with 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern.

Electronics: Racepak Smartwire with IQ3 digital dash, ODBII connector to read the Cummins’ computer.

Rear Axle: 14 Bolt, 3.7’s Detroit locker. Spindle upgrade, Disk brakes with Drum in Hat Parking brake.

Front Axle: 14 Bolt Center with ARB Locker and 3.7s, Crane Knuckles, Stub Hubs, Dynalocs, P30 Rotors with F450 Callipers

Winches: Front and rear hydraulic, Engine Drive pump.

Box: Flatbed with toolboxes. Slide on “Expo” RTT camper. Camper can be ‘dropped’ at a campsite, so Truck can ‘go to town’ or day trips with just flatbed.

Project Plan

By day, I have my employer tricked into believing that I am a Project Manager, so to perpetuate that illusion, I give you my project plan. (I wonder if this counts as credits towards my PMP certification?)

The Ultimate Expo Land Cruiser Project Plan

1. Strip Zippo frame
2. Remove mine truck cab from it's frame.
3. Place driveline in frame and position relative to cab.
4. Placement of axles.
5. Build driveline mounts and suspension. Final frame modifications.
6. Assemble body and armor around wheels/tires/engine etc.
7. Plumbing
8. Electrical
9. Interior
10. Flatbed
11. Camper box
12. Test Drive
13. Adjustments
14. Dismantle, final paint
15. Final assembly
16. Come up with a cool name
17. Explore World

Some of you may notice that there are not dates on this project plan. Hey, Fawk You. I’m not really a project manager.

Status Report

To date, this is the status..

Zippo the frame donor is in the garage, and dismantling has begun 2 days ago. Pictures to follow.

The 79 series Cab was acquired from Lowenbrau and P-Squared in September.

A deal has been made on the engine and transmission as well an engine bay full of accessories. Delivery is scheduled for the end of 2013.

An atlas 4 has been purchased and is in transit back to Abbostford via Greg_B. If anyone could Mudship that to Calgary over the holidays, please PM me.

Two 14Bolt axle candidates have been identified at the local Pick N Pull yards. The first planned date to pull the first axle was cancelled due to weather. If you want to help pull an axle in Calgary, let me know.

Zippo Tear Down pictures to follow this evening.

Subscribed......

Windows out, dash stripped, fenders off. Its rusty. 635,000 kms on old Zippo.

20131119_203559.jpg

20131119_210417.jpg

20131119_210427.jpg

20131119_201632.jpg

20131119_223140.jpg

Last edited:
Let me know when you want to go dig some axles out of the snow, I was happy to dig through a bit of snow the other weekend. Trust me, I need to get out of the house more often despite the location of the occasion.

Has the plan strayed from ORI rear shocks to airbags?

Has the plan strayed from ORI rear shocks to airbags?

Cody, I will certainly appreciate your help in the wrecking yard.

With the Flat Deck/Slide on camper plan, the air bag rear will be necessary to 'dump' the rear to load/unload the camper, as well as to keep the springs from poking up through the flatdeck. Shocks will be a problem still.

Front springs are still undecided, but all options are on the table, including the ORI's, air bags, or dual rate coil overs. Check that.... one option is definately not on the table... leaf springs.

I am off the project for many days now... CT4WD meeting tonight, RMLCA meeting tomorrow, off to Salt Lake City on the weekend to collect my new-to-me 2012 Dodge 5500 truck, Southern Alberta 4WD meeting on next Tuesday, Community Association meeting next Wednesday, Trail Inventory next Sunday... This is why my project plan has no dates...

When stripping Zippo of its body, you should hold onto the firewall for either a future Peter-LHD-conversion on some random BJ74, or for sale to someone for similar reasons.

Craig.

you should hold onto the firewall for a future Peter-LHD-conversion on some random BJ74

Agreed. The firewall itsels seems pretty good butthe cowl and windshield frame is very bad. I guess it could be frankensteined with another tub.

super cool:cool: I have a long term plan for my 55 that isn't too far divergent of your goal. only cause I'm too cheap to bring a 7X series to the states. the slide on camper box is the ticket...been dreaming of how to for a few years now myself. love seeing/hearing about similar projects:popcorn:

Cody, I will certainly appreciate your help in the wrecking yard.

With the Flat Deck/Slide on camper plan, the air bag rear will be necessary to 'dump' the rear to load/unload the camper, as well as to keep the springs from poking up through the flatdeck. Shocks will be a problem still.

Front springs are still undecided, but all options are on the table, including the ORI's, air bags, or dual rate coil overs. Check that.... one option is definately not on the table... leaf springs.

I am off the project for many days now... CT4WD meeting tonight, RMLCA meeting tomorrow, off to Salt Lake City on the weekend to collect my new-to-me 2012 Dodge 5500 truck, Southern Alberta 4WD meeting on next Tuesday, Community Association meeting next Wednesday, Trail Inventory next Sunday... This is why my project plan has no dates...

Hopefully we can have a look at Herb's replacement airbags he bought before he installs them, he said he would bring them in to the thursday night meeting if he didn't get them mounted. I may try and go the CT4WD meeting tonight as well, I haven't been there in ages.

BTW, the shop that Herb's getting those bags from sells shocks with 18" of stroke for about $145, I think Im going to try some for my 80, I've damaged a couple as they didnt have enough stroke when the bags were all the way up, and gimped the upper rubber bushing.

Last edited:
Atlas Transfer Case

Many thanks to Greg_B who took posession of my Atlas4 Transfer case.
32 Spline Everything, Ratio's, 1:1, 2.7:1. 5.4:1, 10.34:1. 1350 Front Yolk, 1410 Rear.

I know what y'aller thinkin. "Repariability - parts available in N&S America and Australia!? That's not the Atlas!"

Indeed, every design is a compromise between requirements. I think that the Atlas is the best compromise between the Capability, Reliability, and Repairability needs. Certainly the mutiple gear ratio's, and it's proven performance in rock racer trucks and Tuff Truck competitors leave me with some confidence in it's reliability.

If anyone it traveling from Abbotsford to Calgary in the next few months and has room to Mud-Ship this thing, I would appreciate it.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

The frame boss the frame

I can't help but wonder about a crusty can spec frame and your plan for using a 5.9 cummins. Is the frame up to this task? Do you have any reinforcements planned?

Well Peter, you explained this to me in Calgary, but I am glad you wrote it all down now. No way I could remember all that. BTW, you look good in that 2XL, good on ya.
I have always admired this particular tray camper. I've always known that if I get another single cab p/u, this would sit on the deck.

http://www.trayon.com/

Are you re-using the BJ74 interior/heater etc, or is the HZJ79 cab complete with dash?

I've always known that if I get another single cab p/u, this would sit on the deck.

http://www.trayon.com/

There's some super cool ones out there (mostly Australia from what I can tell).

There is this one (the name is rough though):
http://www.jackoff.com.au/Lift-Off-Campers.php

Budget and weight friendly:
http://utepod.com.au/

Mid-Range:
http://www.campertrailers.org/explorer_ute_back.htm

And what seems to be the creme of the crop:
http://www.wedgetailcampers.com.au/

Hey Peter, I may have a great rear axle that may save you time completing a disc rear conversion. I have a 2004 AAM 11.5" rear end out of my Duramax I would let go cheap to you. We don't know each other but I have read a lot of your threads and a bunch of Oil Country Cruiser friends know you. I am located in Edmonton

Ibex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom