AltFuel Pat's WVO thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you make your own centrifuge or buy a commercially available unit?.

The centrifuge itself is a dieselcraft unit. The whole set up is pretty much something I pieced together myself, primarily from parts that I scavenged or picked up cheap on eBay.

I've let this thread sort of slip away recently. I've been focusing on other projects. Hopefully this fall and winter I can start tinkering with it again.

I got my gauges in place, most notably the fuel temperature gauge. At operating temperature, the fuel temperature is anywhere from 145F and 160F through the flat plate heat exchanger. That should be hot enough for the vegetable oil, right?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417839112.364925.jpg

I was running on my veggie tank today (on diesel) for testing. I drove about 5 miles and everything was fine. Stopped to have lunch, then restarted and drove another mile or two and the next thing you know I'm on the side of the road with my hazards on. I switched tanks, bleed the injectors and was back on my way in probably less than a minute. I'm thinking I may have had an air bubble in my fuel line for my veggie tank. More testing to do…

get another fuel cap and fit a tire valve stem in the centre of it so you can pressurize your tank. Crack the bleeder screw and blow out the air. This is quicker than pumping with your thumb. It's important that the truck is plenty warm and ready to run svo when you bleed the svo lines.
Don't go above 10psi in tank pressure.
Then you have a better chance getting the air out. Even in the best of times it's difficult getting all the air out of all the high spots and bends in my system. This gives me the best shot.
I've been running the same fuel filter on the svo side for over a year with no stumbling. This means the fuel's getting plenty hot and there's no air.
Also, plumb in a vacuum gauge just downstream from your svo filter. In my case anything over 15 in/Hg and my filter will completely clog soon. It's then time to change. It's easier to change in your driveway on your terms than on the highway 'break down style'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom