Pamela Landy 2.0 Build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got to actually drive the 80!

Loaded up the dogs and headed out for a hike. With both dogs and a light tool box in the back she's sagging a lot... but drove well otherwise. A little rubbing at what was stock height 27 years ago with the 35s, so tried to avoid cycling the suspension for now.

_DSC9293-Edit.jpg
_DSC9356.jpg

Picked up an ARB bumper that will be a placeholder until I order a Dissent set. Hunting for a used winch to rebuild and some sliders. Suspension is on the way.

_DSC9401-Edit.jpg
_DSC9537-Edit.jpg

Got the lift finished (except for bump stops and realigning it) and took it for a quick spin. Lifted a lot more than I expected but I don't not like it. Needs 37s though.

After a hectic June, we've finally been able to get back outside a few times.

No real wheeling yet, but so far the front end doesn't feel like it's flexing as well as it should. Not impressed so far.

_DSC9641.jpg
_DSC9632.jpg

Shock length could be affecting your flex.

The info may be there. I have the typical one 850/860 setup up and wanna put longer shocks in Atleast the front. When you have the truck on the lift it’s crazy to see all the travel that doesn’t get used.

The info may be there. I have the typical one 850/860 setup up and wanna put longer shocks in Atleast the front. When you have the truck on the lift it’s crazy to see all the travel that doesn’t get used.
Yup. It’s there, I went with the 3-5 inch shocks for a ~3 inch lift. It’s doesn’t feel like it’s even using the travel that it has. Not a fan of the Flexi springs in all honesty.

Probably going to swap the front end to the VT coils like the rear, see how that goes before adding longer shocks.

Super minor updates:

- Winch installed, need to move the solenoid somewhere else rather than on the ARB light mount. It's tighter with the 12k than I thought it would be back there. After spacing the winch back I don't have the space to fit the solenoid between the winch and grill like I thought I would. I always lose wireless remotes soo... time to make a bracket.

- Scangauge in, temps seem okay. Maybe a touch high, ~190-205 in normal running at 60-80mph. Gets toasty on passes for sure. Full flush on the to-do list.

Found some 'lil baby rocks on the way to our campsite this weekend.

_DSC9678-Edit.jpg

Pamela sat for a few months while I was busy with work and house projects. Last few weeks I've been picking away at maintenance:

• Built a super janky gantry to pull the GFC with one person so I can get it into the garage easily:
  • IMG_2494.JPG
  • Overdue front axle rebuild. Way too dry in there. Grease looked like cottage cheese, wondering if the grease the PO used wasn't compatible with the diff oil? Bearings were pretty cooked and the spindles were shot, so replaced those with the Joint Fuji units from Cruiser Outfitters. Did new birfs and drive flanges as well.
  • T-case drain and fill (again) while trying to diagnose some weird noises and lack of torque in H
  • Tie rod/drag link ends
  • Pads + rotors all around
  • Coolant flush, pleasantly surprised with how clean everything was
  • Straightened a lot of radiator fins. Not perfect, but definitely better.
  • Front main developed a leak. Did the oil pump seal and the distributor o-ring while I was in there. Also advanced the timing to ~6 degrees.
  • Blue hub fan clutch. Old one was pretty cooked. Towards the end of the fall, it was pushing 225 on passes pretty often; this should help. My wife modified it for me while I was doing the front main 😍
  • New V-belts because the squealing non-OEM ones were driving me insane.
  • We removed the aftermarket alarm system the PO installed. When we moved back to MT this summer, we trailered the 80 behind a Uhaul for about 10 hours. Apparently, the alarm system was overly sensitive and went off whenever we hit a bump on the highway. The box truck was so loud I only noticed once it got dark and could see the lights flashing. Amazed no one said anything. Whoops. Anyway, whoever installed it managed to chop out a lot of the harness. That was so much fun to fix.
  • IMG_2571.JPG
  • Somewhere in there, the exhaust was smelling a lot like coolant. I got nervous and did a compression test for peace of mind. All six are between 147-150, and the exhaust is normal again. Not losing any coolant either. Whatever- I'm going with screw it, run it for now. Planning on an LS this fall anyway.
  • I finally got around to fixing/installing the rear Timbren bumpstops. The OEM bolts sheared off, and I'd been too lazy to drill and retap. I ended up drilling them out and replacing with rivnuts. Will be interesting to see how well these work in the rear, the bracket seems a little large for how much lift I'm currently running. Ignore my very dirty truck, the joys of living on a dirt road in spring...
  • IMG_2654.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
  • Replaced a wheel stud that broke this fall. Actually did all of them on that wheel.
  • Did bearings and seals on the rear axle. Didn't look like anyone had been in there for a long time. Mangled one or two hub studs getting out the cone washers. Got everything replaced, packed and put back together. Went to torque down the cone washers and three nuts stripped out before getting to spec. Figured whatever, I'll order some replacements and do the other side for now. Same thing happened on the other side. Replacements came from Cruiser Outfitters, slapped them on and went to tighten them all down. Another nut stripped out. Wondered if it was my torque wrench, so used another one. Stripped another nut. So the 80 has been on jack stands for a week now just waiting on hub studs and nuts that don't strip out. Can't figure out why the nuts are stripping. I'm finger threading them on, then tightening in a star pattern, then torquing to spec in the same pattern. Never had this issue before on the front or rear. They're giving up at not even 20 ft-lbs... Here's a photo of one of the mangled threads after I got the stripped nut off.
  • IMG_2657 2.jpg

Anyways, once that's fixed, it's on to fun things:
  • t-case gears
  • front and rear lockers
  • sliders
  • rear bumper - still deciding on which one to get. Need a swing out so we can haul a 35 (or 37) spare with our dog crate setup. Leaning Dissent.
  • new drawer setup
  • start gathering parts for the engine swap
  • figure out a better suspension option. Not a fan of how poorly the current setup rides and flexes on pretty chill stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom