P2420 Code: Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Switching Valve Control Circuit High with LRA Sub tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've gotten this code a couple of times. I searched the 200 Forum and didn't see this code come up in any threads. Has anyone had this code and dealt with it? I'm particularly interested in someone that had the code and an LRA sub tank. Given that the entire fuel system is under vacuum and we change the volume of the fuel system with sub tanks, does this change the duty cycle of the vacuum pump?

I have an appointment with a dealer to look at the rig next week. I also talked to Chisto at Slee where is was installed and they have not seen this specific issue. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Epilogue: The dealer says the vapor canister needs to be replaced because one of the valves is not functioning correctly. The rig has 37,5xx miles on it and the vapor canister is not considered part of the emissions system so with the factory warranty of three years 36K miles I would have to pay for this. However, we have an extended warranty on the rig and after some finger pointing (dealer, warranty people, me the modified rig owner), the extended warranty company will cover the 1) dealer diagnosis fee, 2) the labor to replace the vapor canister in a stock 2016 200, and 3) the replacement vapor canister.

My 40 gallon LRA sub tank will have to be dropped to remove and replace the vapor canister and I will have to pay for that (~$300). All things considered this seems like a reasonable deal to me.

When was your 40 Gallon installed? I am out of warranty and my canister failed about two years ago. I installed a new canister last year and recently installed 40 gallon LRA. I now don't overfill and keep both tanks 3/4 full during wheeling trips. I did delete the factory filter and installed the filter supplied with the kit which vents to open air.

When was your 40 Gallon installed? I am out of warranty and my canister failed about two years ago. I installed a new canister last year and recently installed 40 gallon LRA. I now don't overfill and keep both tanks 3/4 full during wheeling trips. I did delete the factory filter and installed the filter supplied with the kit which vents to open air.
Mine's been in about six months. Slee did the install and upgraded the hoses that came with the LRA for more of an "OEM-like solution." I'll have to ask Ben what if anything they did with the filter venting.

Mine's been in about six months. Slee did the install and upgraded the hoses that came with the LRA for more of an "OEM-like solution." I'll have to ask Ben what if anything they did with the filter venting.
Good luck!

Well I got this P2420 error code this AM when starting my truck. Probably was in the upper 50's. LRA tank is 1/2 full. Main tank was 3/4 full. Not a heat issue.
Reset with OBD Fusion. Hopefully it doesn't come back again.

IMG_0621.jpeg

I got this one a week ago. Cleared it with the Scan Gauge II. Hoping it never returns. It was after a longish road trip, about 250 miles. No impact at all when the code was showing "Check Engine" Go to Dealer light was on. I have the 12 gallon LRA.

P0441 is one of the more common OBD-II trouble codes with the Toyota Land Cruiser. It’s a generic powertrain code, which means regardless of what auto manufacturer built the vehicle, it’ll have the same meaning. P0441 indicates that there is an issue with the Evaporative Emissions System. It’ll often appear with P0455.

P0441: Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System → Incorrect Purge Flow

I got this one a week ago. Cleared it with the Scan Gauge II. Hoping it never returns. It was after a longish road trip, about 250 miles. No impact at all when the code was showing "Check Engine" Go to Dealer light was on. I have the 12 gallon LRA.

P0441 is one of the more common OBD-II trouble codes with the Toyota Land Cruiser. It’s a generic powertrain code, which means regardless of what auto manufacturer built the vehicle, it’ll have the same meaning. P0441 indicates that there is an issue with the Evaporative Emissions System. It’ll often appear with P0455.
The P2420 came back again. Cleared it. While driving today, I filled the main tank from the remaining 1/2 tank in LRA. Emptied the LRA. Then got the check engine light while driving shortly after.

Got home and connected with OBD Fusion. In addition to P2420, I also got the P0441 code you referenced.

IMG_0633.jpeg

Fuel tank cap was tightened, one click. Can't think of anything else that would have triggered these codes all the sudden.

I'm tempted to buy a new fuel tank cap, seems the least expensive part option.

Not sure if it could be the:

or

or worse case:

To access and replace any of those parts will require dropping and disconnecting the LRA 24.5 aux. tank. That's something I personally don't want to tackle let alone solo.

Will try and get my Tech Stream running and see if it will help pinpoint and/or give me an option to test.

This 2018 LC only has 39k on it so seems very premature to be getting these error codes.

Open to all suggestions.

Darn P2420 came back again. 56k miles. I've had to clear codes about half dozen times over the past month. Cleared again on Wed. Status yesterday.

IMG_4313.PNG

Seems to have started with cold weather. We got a warm front come thru last night. Outside temp (where the truck lives) was ~ 60F degrees this AM. Started truck, no errors. Scanned with OBD Fusion and permanent code now gone. EVAP system ran thru a successful cycle. I have not done anything else to try and remediate. Weather related?

IMG_4320.PNG

I ordered a new gas cap earlier in the week. Thought I would start with the easy option and I have read where it resolved P2420 with other Toyota's. The other ones I came across were wiring related from ECM to the charcoal canister pump.

Strange one. Will see if it comes back when the temp drops back down. I would like to better troubleshoot this but need access to the charcoal canister and it's blocked by the LRA 24.5 aux tank. Not in a hurry this winter but will add to my Spring to-do list.

How difficult is it to drop the LRA?
I'm assuming to re-install, it's gotta be way better than a fresh install?

Darn P2420 came back again. 56k miles. I've had to clear codes about half dozen times over the past month. Cleared again on Wed. Status yesterday.

View attachment 3542312

Seems to have started with cold weather. We got a warm front come thru last night. Outside temp (where the truck lives) was ~ 60F degrees this AM. Started truck, no errors. Scanned with OBD Fusion and permanent code now gone. EVAP system ran thru a successful cycle. I have not done anything else to try and remediate. Weather related?

View attachment 3542315

I ordered a new gas cap earlier in the week. Thought I would start with the easy option and I have read where it resolved P2420 with other Toyota's. The other ones I came across were wiring related from ECM to the charcoal canister pump.

Strange one. Will see if it comes back when the temp drops back down. I would like to better troubleshoot this but need access to the charcoal canister and it's blocked by the LRA 24.5 aux tank. Not in a hurry this winter but will add to my Spring to-do list.

Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what was the culprit?

I was getting the P0441 code. I replaced the gas cap. That didn’t fix it so I had the charcoal filter and the purge valve replaced last week.

But this morning, 1 week later, I got the P2420 code. Frustrating.

View attachment 3542312

View attachment 3542315

Following as I just got the P2420 code this AM. first time. Removed and reinstalled gas cap (one click as always) and cleared the code. Hopefully that's it.

Did you ever figure out the culprit?

Following as I just got the P2420 code this AM. first time. Removed and reinstalled gas cap (one click as always) and cleared the code. Hopefully that's it.

Did you ever figure out the culprit?
I was able to go a week or two without the code and new gas cap.
Code came back yesterday AM.

I was able to go a week or two without the code and new gas cap.
Code came back yesterday AM.
Have not had code come back. No permanent code stored either. Warmer weather ???

I've not had this code, but chased plenty of others related to the LRA/CC/Boiling issues. If you are into dropping the LRA, which is really not very difficult if you are a DIY-inclined person, then I would check for:
  • wear/impingement on the CC harness where it crosses the LRA to the back of the vehicle. Little insults to little wires cause little disruptions in current which are MAJOR OMG THOW CODE NAOOOW reactions from our trucks.
  • rethink the CC as a consumable and, when in doubt, replace it. Don't pay full price for the exact part number, but buy an OEM one for a Corolla or something from a similar vintage. (~$100 vs. ~$400)
  • clean. your. radiator. Depressed cooling efficiency at the front-end radiator fins means more heat in engine, more engine heat means hotter return-to-tank fuel, hotter return fuel means vapor, and vapor slays CCs. (even a little fine dust settled on moist radiator fins, reapeatedly, over time, builds into hard-to-see cooling efficiency-killing cake)
These are 100-level mitigations. Do the last one first and the first two concurrently. Don't move on to the 300-level courses until you go through these.

As always, keep calm and code-read on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom