Builds Outsane/Solvefunction/Cruisin2Camp Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting tent in post #317 got a link ?

December 2023

Rear lower links chromoly from @Delta VS
20231209_130511.jpg
20231209_142908.jpg

Long term testing, this is the evolution of my rears...
20231209_132956.jpg

I bent a couple of oem sets, then added a full armor with angle iron. Some times the heavy girl sits down too fast..

20231217_104224.jpg

Little roll in the dirt in Bishop

20231231_135722.jpg

Testing new 37s at holister!

Let's just be current...

Yesterday
20240120_071647.jpg
20240120_074157.jpg
20240120_131600.jpg

Pulled the head, chain tensioner slipper broke

20240120_131607.jpg

shoreis wondering how he volunteered for this s*** show. Michael brought some needed pizza.

All heros

20240120_160649.jpg

thats the vilan.

Good to have good friends !!
Is the head back from the shop ?
Can't tell in the pictures, you happy with the block surface & cylinder walls ?

Good to have good friends !!
Is the head back from the shop ?
Can't tell in the pictures, you happy with the block surface & cylinder walls ?

Very good to have friends..

Head is back and ready.
No step in the cylinder walls, block top seems good. I used a granite block and 600 grit to clean it up.

Not much cross hatching.... ghetto hone it?

How many miles on you engine?

Let's just be current...

Pulled the head, chain tensioner slipper broke
Such a bummer. If part of that chain slipper cracked the rest is probably brittle as corn flakes. Have you removed the front timing cover already to replace it? If not, from my experience doing a couple of head gaskets and a short block swap, at this point you might as well pull the engine. You're halfway there, and it makes it so much easier to inspect the bottom end and tackle all the other "while you are in there" items.
If you need a hoist, pm me. I drive up the peninsula to SSF everyday.

Such a bummer. If part of that chain slipper cracked the rest is probably brittle as corn flakes. Have you removed the front timing cover already to replace it? If not, from my experience doing a couple of head gaskets and a short block swap, at this point you might as well pull the engine. You're halfway there, and it makes it so much easier to inspect the bottom end and tackle all the other "while you are in there" items.
If you need a hoist, pm me. I drive up the peninsula to SSF everyday.
Looks like the head is already back on ! Post#328

No idea I dropped it in used... know of a short block locally?
No I do not. I asked because I’m about to pull the engine out of this 96 I bought last summer to at least rebuild the head and reseal the entire engine. It runs great but expelled blue smoke upon rev after it idled for a couple minutes. Smoke would clear and no smoke if I held it at high rev’s so I assume it’s just valve guides. 238k….. BUT, since I’ll have the motor out I was thinking I’d go ahead with rings and bearings. Thing is that there is a lot to be said for a factory built bottom end that still doing well at 238k as far as reliability. I’ll make this decision when I see the condition of the cylinder walls and bearings and also plasti- gauge bearing oil clearance. My cheap ass should just do the pistons, rings and bearings though. Then it’s done no matter how long I keep it.

No I do not. I asked because I’m about to pull the engine out of this 96 I bought last summer to at least rebuild the head and reseal the entire engine. It runs great but expelled blue smoke upon rev after it idled for a couple minutes. Smoke would clear and no smoke if I held it at high rev’s so I assume it’s just valve guides. 238k….. BUT, since I’ll have the motor out I was thinking I’d go ahead with rings and bearings. Thing is that there is a lot to be said for a factory built bottom end that still doing well at 238k as far as reliability. I’ll make this decision when I see the condition of the cylinder walls and bearings and also plasti- gauge bearing oil clearance. My cheap ass should just do the pistons, rings and bearings though. Then it’s done no matter how long I keep it.
Don't over think it !!

I know this motor is already tired...

About 140psi compression cold
20240121_100920.jpg

The head gasket change was supposed to be a weekend job to keep driving and figure out the next motor in the mean time..

It's my daily driver...

So pulling the whole motor will take enough time that I would rather drop in a new short block.

I don't know of any locally yet... probably take 5 weeks from Toyota

I have a block that had some terrible rod knock. So that's a bad idea..

OEM short block is the way to go given the cost of machine work here in the Bay Area. But yeah, plan on several months of downtime. Mine's a daily also and I had to borrow a Prius from a buddy. It sucked.

If you start shopping for a block, you might want to talk to local dealers. Stevens Creek Toyota is local to me and they are a TLCA member business. I get up to 20-25% off MSRP. When I bought my short block from @OGBeno, they told me that I should have talked to them because they were actively trying to match other online prices. I don't think they could have matched the price I paid Onur, but having it ordered through the local dealer might have saved on some shipping costs. Olathe Toyota has a really good advertised price. You might want to show Putnam, 101, or Stevens Creek to see if they could save you on shipping.

OEM short block is the way to go given the cost of machine work here in the Bay Area. But yeah, plan on several months of downtime. Mine's a daily also and I had to borrow a Prius from a buddy. It sucked.

If you start shopping for a block, you might want to talk to local dealers. Stevens Creek Toyota is local to me and they are a TLCA member business. I get up to 20-25% off MSRP. When I bought my short block from @OGBeno, they told me that I should have talked to them because they were actively trying to match other online prices. I don't think they could have matched the price I paid Onur, but having it ordered through the local dealer might have saved on some shipping costs. Olathe Toyota has a really good advertised price. You might want to show Putnam, 101, or Stevens Creek to see if they could save you on shipping.

This was many, many moons ago. 😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom