Opinions sought (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been kicking the idea of restoring this 1976 FJ, I've had it for last 15 years. It was a helicopter tug for 10 years prior to that. Might consider selling, not sure if I have the time or space to do it right. What you think it is worth? What do you think it would cost to restore? I'm up in Alaska so parts might be expensive to ship up here. Runs good, has about 70,000 miles. Pretty much all original, no mods besides stereo. Has some fender damage and window edge damage, a kid took it for a joy ride a few years ago. The doors are off of a 78 cruiser donor, never did get the top or doors when I bought it. A shed they were stored in collapsed under a snow load and crushed them I was told. I have a soft top, though. Some rust under floor mat drivers side, not bad though. Rear quarter panels has a little rust.

20151009_083326.jpg

20151009_164814.jpg

20151009_164702.jpg

That's a great looking 40. If you don't restore it and decide to sell it I'll head up to Alaska and take it off your hands. I have a great 60 that we could trade:)

looks very very restorable to me, cut fenders are the only real bummer(they may not be cut just bolted on)

depending on your needs or desires, I would clean it up, go thru it and drive it like it pretty much is. $5K would go along ways to making that a real nice 40, brakes, TRE , tires, suspension, axles, baseline, etc.....

restored cost could be anything from $20-50K(or more)

Looks like a great 40. Restore/Update can come in many sizes. A full restore is to completely strip it down and rebuild it. It doesn't look like it needs that. Thank Landpimp is right, you could do a lot with $5K or even less

Yeah, I think your right, maybe i'll put a little elbow grease and money into it. Don't have a current project aka money pit to throw money at anyhow. Heres the damaged fender and window. If I could keep it under 10K, it'll still be cheaper than a side by side. I been looking into fenders and really like them tube fenders. FJ40 Tube Fenders Not sure how much that would screw up the value though if I ever did try to sell it down the road.

20151010_174224.jpg

hmmm, may be wrong, but looks like its originally from California i.e. per the white on black emissions sticker on the hood and the carb cooling fan on just beside the rad on the driver side ... definitely a fixer ...

It's too late. You've made it impossible to restore that truck by putting on that upside-down bezel....sorry to have to tell you.

:p

Was down in the lower 48 last week and stopped by Spector's and got a pair of fenders and brought them up with me as checked baggage. Looking for a hard top now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom