Opinions needed on specific TIG welders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the opportunity to place a silent bid on three different TIG welders. One is a Miller 330 ST Aircrafter, the other two are Miller Syncrowave 351.

These welders were used by a race shop and are in great condition. On a scale of 1 to 10 all three are a 9. All three have leads, torch's, foot pedals, and water coolers.

These welders are way more than I need right now, but I would like to get a good deal on a well maintained unit that I won't outgrow.

From my research the Syncrowave's are newer and better (for TIG) than the Aircrafter.

I was told auction items normally sell for half of their average used value. Best I can figure the Aircrafter should sell for $500-$700 and the Syncrowave will sell for $1000-$1500.

So which one would you bid on and how much would you bid?

I have the opportunity to place a silent bid on three different TIG welders. One is a Miller 330 ST Aircrafter, the other two are Miller Syncrowave 351.

These welders were used by a race shop and are in great condition. On a scale of 1 to 10 all three are a 9. All three have leads, torch's, foot pedals, and water coolers.

These welders are way more than I need right now, but I would like to get a good deal on a well maintained unit that I won't outgrow.

From my research the Syncrowave's are newer and better (for TIG) than the Aircrafter.

I was told auction items normally sell for half of their average used value. Best I can figure the Aircrafter should sell for $500-$700 and the Syncrowave will sell for $1000-$1500.

So which one would you bid on and how much would you bid?

Miller 330 ST Aircrafter has more settings for doing aluminum work. I'd look at the power requirements before buying. You'll need at least 100 amp for syncrowave 351.

I'd be real surprised if thy sync 351 sell for $1500. I'm guessing they'll go for me. Auctions prices tend to be real high IMHO.

As long as you don't have the power factor correction capacitors installed, you don't need 100amps to run the welder for most situations. I have 2 of the 3 PFC's connected on my Lincoln squarewave 355 and can run it on a 50amp circuit, welding 1/4" AL at 220A.

I would take the Synchrowave over the aircrafter if you are doing AL since its a square wave machine vs's a sinewave machine and you can "balance the square wave" which is a HUGE benefit for AL. I paid $1250 for my loaded 355 on ebay and it has a bit more features than the Miller 351. I wouldn't pay more than about $1500 for the Sychrowave since resale is not that great on the larger machines
. If the 351's have the pulse option that makes them worth a little more.

Alot of people don't like the large machines due to the size and consumption, but they really only take up a couple of more square feet on the floor and if setup right wont pull more amps than the smaller units. The benefits are machines that have a killer duty cycle and if from a production environment were rarely pushed hard. I'm very happy with my 355.

Last edited:
As long as you don't have the power factor correction capacitors installed, you don't need 100amps to run the welder for most situations. I have 2 of the 3 PFC's connected on my Lincoln squarewave 355 and can run it on a 50amp circuit, welding 1/4" AL at 220A.

I would take the Synchrowave over the aircrafter if you are doing AL since its a square wave machine vs's a sinewave machine and you can "balance the square wave" which is a HUGE benefit for AL. I paid $1250 for my loaded 355 on ebay and it has a bit more features than the Miller 351. I wouldn't pay more than about $1500 for the Sychrowave since resale is not that great on the larger machines
. If the 351's have the pulse option that makes them worth a little more.

Alot of people don't like the large machines due to the size and consumption, but they really only take up a couple of more square feet on the floor and if setup right wont pull more amps than the smaller units. The benefits are machines that have a killer duty cycle and if from a production environment were rarely pushed hard. I'm very happy with my 355.

Having power factor correction (PFC) will allow you to run with less amperage. If you read the manual, it should state the input amperage requirements for welder with and without PFC.

Having PFC will cause your electric bill to be higher since it is always using more current even when the welder is at idle.

I think the only time I'd consider PFC in a machine is IF I didn't have enough capacity (amperage) from my panel. Of course, buying an inverter based welders (Miller Dynasty, Millermatic 350P, etc.,) will solve those problem too.

Thanks for the responses.

Some good information to think about.

I'll bid on the 351. I probably won't win with what I'm able to afford, but if I do I will get a great deal.

++"Of course, buying an inverter based welders (Miller Dynasty, Millermatic 350P, etc.,) will solve those problem too."

I have the Miller Dynasty... It has been outstanding for my uses.
It works well for Al, SS, CMol and steel. They are small and portable if needed, but a little pricey. I found mine on craigs list for about 1/2 price with way more assoc. then I would of bought other wsie.

If these don't work out, look for an inverter unit.

JMHO

Doug

Having power factor correction (PFC) will allow you to run with less amperage. If you read the manual, it should state the input amperage requirements for welder with and without PFC.

Having PFC will cause your electric bill to be higher since it is always using more current even when the welder is at idle.

I think the only time I'd consider PFC in a machine is IF I didn't have enough capacity (amperage) from my panel. Of course, buying an inverter based welders (Miller Dynasty, Millermatic 350P, etc.,) will solve those problem too.

Im pretty sure that the 351 does not come with PFC from the factory, but it is an upgrade option $$$. With PFC you will pull amperage at idle (around 60a at 220) but it will not turn your meter, so no charge from the power company unless you are on comercial demand based rates. The only time not to use pfc is when you are running the unit at low output off of a small breaker like 40a or 50a where the PFC will flip the breaker on its own. Without PFC the 351 will pull upwards of 150a running at full power. Hope you get the welder!

Hi, while searching for Lincoln 355 tig info I found this post, sorry to bring it back.

If I disconnect the PFC capacitors will it limit the AMP output to less than 350?

thanks, and I am a off roader not to be confused with a free loader.

Actually, PFC balances the load and reduces the amperage required - so removing them will increase required amps.

PFC caps do indeed balance the load and lower the running amps, but they also sink a lot of amps charging them up when you turn the machine on which makes it more likely to trip a fast acting breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom