Opinion on 2009 LC rust (EU) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Just looked at this LC with 200k miles on it. It’s the 4.5L diesel engine

What do you think of the rust situation? It’s spent most of its life in the Netherlands without much snow

3DCD3346-7222-49F7-87B2-17F2E9AC0D19.jpeg

6D4DE3C2-D0D2-4045-9B84-44DDA8E10FB4.jpeg

F26B339F-627E-4079-B866-709DE8F35002.jpeg

5EEDD133-2154-467D-BD70-AA8F6AFD91CC.jpeg

8AB11483-FC2D-47C4-8C53-92D4F877780F.jpeg

Looks fine to me. Imo the rust concerns are overrated in the 200. The frame is much more rust resistant than prior to generations. I don’t think I’ve seen a 200 series truck with Frame failure from rust.

Well, it will be challenging to work on, but looks doable. I’d get some grease in the u- joints right away. The spare tire wheel looks rough. I wonder if the lowering winch works?

Imo it looks like dirt, not rust. One pain point on these vehicles is the KDSS valve. They are prone to rust, which makes the suspension impossible to service. Search this forum for kdss and you should find threads that explain it. Good luck!

I hear some people say if the KDSS or the AHC is rusted, its pretty much done and suggest to do a KDSS/AHC delete.
But I hear SOME mechanics say its not that crazy impossible job like 10,000$ some dealerships quote to replace rusted/busted hoses but a $2000-$4000 job to replace the SS lines with new one. Any consenus or comment by people who experienced this repair?

Take a look at your sills. But looks fine so far. Mine looks way worse hehehe

Ps.: if you have a Toyota Rear Diff Lock take a look if the actuator is still fine since this is a röy weak spot since he doesn’t like salty roads…

Rust doesn't look too bad to me. The transmission guard is missing.. why?

Also very curious about KDSS valve condition. It may not be too bad given the rest of the rig but if it is.. expensive repairs.

Hmm so seems like in general it’s not bad but should look at KDSS and why transmission guard is missing… thanks for input so far

Its not terrible. But if it were me I would find another one without the surface rust. You never know what other rust is hiding in areas you can't see if that much is visible. Plenty of rust-free examples available on the market.

Plenty of rust-free examples available on the market.

In Europe?

To me a lot of the light color is dirt, not rust. Looking close at welds and other places that usually rust heavily, there is no scale which is a sign things aren’t super bad.

In Europe?

To me a lot of the light color is dirt, not rust. Looking close at welds and other places that usually rust heavily, there is no scale which is a sign things aren’t super bad.
Good point, maybe its dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom