Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! I have a 1996 with 211,000 miles on it. The other day I noticed the oil pressure gauge wasn't reading any pressure. The next time I started it, it read pressure which fell down to nothing within 5 minutes. I had someone check the pressure and they confirmed it had pressure on startup, but then it drops after a few minutes so that should rule out the gauge or sending unit. The engine isn't making any noises yet. Any other suggestions on my next steps? I also thought I read on here someone had low pressure and they still got over a year of use out of it. The shop I had it at recommended to just add some heavier oil and run it til it dies.

211k isn't a lot for these engines. When was your last oil change? What filter did you use? How was the oil pressure verified?

If it were me, I'd immediately change the oil and filter (Toyota filter, 10W-30 oil) and check the old oil for metal.

I definitely wouldn't run it as-is until it dies. That's a waste of a great engine.

Thanks for the responses. The last oil change was about a month ago. I'm not sure on the filter but pretty certain it wasn't a Toyota as it was just a regular shop who did the change. They had hooked up a mechanical gauge to check the pressure and they said the pressure was completely lost.

America was told to use 10-30 in these motors . Other places were not so burdened.
I run shell rotella 15-40 diesel oil year round with a Toyota filter. These motors were meant to enjoy heavier oil.
I would start with what gummycarbs said and do a change.
You are in Jersey so youll wanna slightly modify your oil numbers to those winters but as thick as you can get.

I'm not sure on the filter but pretty certain it wasn't a Toyota as it was just a regular shop who did the change. They had hooked up a mechanical gauge to check the pressure and they said the pressure was completely lost.

This convinced me to switch to genuine Toyota oil filters:

If you're using a WIX oil filter read this

Mind you, I've never in my life experienced an oil filter failure, and I've usually run Purolator PureOne filters, but it sure seems like I'm seeing more forum posts about oil filter problems in the last few years.

Oh, and I *think* I've read that the oil pump is just a pressed-fit and can slip. I don't know what would have to go wrong to cause slippage, but I assume it's unusual since these regularly go over 300k miles.

Ive had low indicated oil pressure for years now, since I got it 5 years ago really. When the oil is cold and thick, even in summer, I have approx normal pressure as indicated on the dash. When things heat up it drops to minimum acceptable guage pressure as per owners manual. But when it gets half hour + of driving hot (185 - 195 degrees) it drops to just two or three needle-widths above bottom line while idling. After reading here that the gauge is all but useless I stopped worrying so much about it, and since the pre purchase inspection showed normal pressure. I do however try to keep revs up when sitting still, either with my foot or even the A/C. I recently bought an oil pressure testing kit and will check again when time permits.

Oh, the pressure as indicated was about 20% higher overall before switching to Rotella T6 a year ago. I just couldnt dump the pricey oil so soon. But there is no valve clatter or other noises coming from the top of motor.

This is just my story for FYI.... Im not recommending this course of action. Why you'd have to be a fool!

Confirm that the crank pulley is tight, like 304ft/lb, if not the oil pump drive can slip.

211k isn't a lot for these engines. When was your last oil change? What filter did you use? How was the oil pressure verified?

If it were me, I'd immediately change the oil and filter (Toyota filter, 10W-30 oil) and check the old oil for metal.

I definitely wouldn't run it as-is until it dies. That's a waste of a great engine.

Silly question I'm sure, but for the Toyota oil filter, can you only get these at the dealership or is there another store or online retailer for them?

Silly question I'm sure, but for the Toyota oil filter, can you only get these at the dealership or is there another store or online retailer for them?

I bought a case of ten for around $50, shipped, from Conicelli Toyota (aka partznet.com). Here's a five pack for $27 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A1X9AES/

You could always go to a local dealership. I don't because mine literally charges double MSRP for parts!

These filters are now made in Thailand. There's some debate about Thai vs. Japanese Toyota filters, but it's my opinion that it's Toyota quality assurance. If you really want Japanese, you can find them through one of the 'Mud vendors.

Edit: the oil filter part number is 90915-YZZD3.

Are you talking about operating speed (2300 rpm) or idle (650 rpm)? The oil pressure at idle is around 4psi. It'll always be high immediately at startup and then drop to less than 5psi (if it's running correctly) as it warms.

If you're talking about operating speed low oil pressure, that's a different topic.

Are you talking about operating speed (2300 rpm) or idle (650 rpm)? The oil pressure at idle is around 4psi. It'll always be high immediately at startup and then drop to less than 5psi (if it's running correctly) as it warms.

If you're talking about operating speed low oil pressure, that's a different topic.

At operating speed there's little to no pressure.

At operating speed there's little to no pressure.
That's definitely a problem.
upload_2017-10-2_13-52-56.png

Thank you again to everyone for your help. I took it elsewhere for a second opinion and it turns out the first shop was wrong and the oil pressure was fine. Turns out it was resistance within the wiring harness so with that replaced all is well again.

When I was shopping for my current 80 I looked at one that had a full engine rebuild because gauge was reading low( no reading below 1000rpm up to 1/3 when reving)
Was $40 sender In the end lol

Thank you again to everyone for your help. I took it elsewhere for a second opinion and it turns out the first shop was wrong and the oil pressure was fine. Turns out it was resistance within the wiring harness so with that replaced all is well again.

Interesting.

I'd still use a toyota brand oil filter.

Cheers

Hello DJP303
I have a similar sounding issue as yours with a 1997 lx 450. Oil pressure gauge is low on starting up and at idle. At speed in city driving and on highway the gauge climbs to the first third mark from bottom but quickly falls back towards the bottom mark over 10-15 min.
I’ve changed oil and filter (Fram TG and 10w-30) with no changes. I don’t notice any changes in motor noise, power and acceleration good as before but not convinced I don’t have a problem.

Where do I find the wiring harness? I assume it’s the harness to the dash gauge.
Thanks
Matthew

Follow up to the above oil pressure problem. The pressure problem appears to have been a bad oil pressure sending unit per my mechanic. Easy fix, could’ve done it myself in hindsight but more irons in the fire than I can keep a handle on at the moment.

mine does the same thing. low at idle and about mid way on the gauge on start up. I use mobil 1 10-40 and mobil 1 filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom