Another low oil pressure question. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Same issue that many people have mentioned before, low oil pressure. I have a test gauge connected to the place where the oil pressure sensor goes. It reads 60lbs at start up. When the temp reaches 195ish, at idle, the gauge goes down to 4lbs then after a few minutes, it goes down to 0. I pulled the gauge off of the hose on the tester and started the truck. Oil squirts out in a very strong stream. So I know there is oil getting to the motor, just dont know if it is enough. Running 15-40 syn.

I really do not want to have to repace oil pump :(

Are there any signs of low oil pressure other than a gauge reading? You wouldn’t happen to be running a Wix or Napa oil filter? I’m assuming you used the test gauge because the dash gauge reads very low? I’d try a different test gauge before drawing any conclusions. The general rule of thumb is 10psi for 1k rpm so at idle 6-7psi is plenty.

From the FSM:
1691262642189.png

If you drop below 4psi, I'd be looking at the same stuff @baldilocks suggested.

Update: I changed back to regular Dino oil and tried to tighten the crankshaft bolt as much as I could. Didnt seem to move. Also I purcahsed a new pressure tester.

The reason I am concerned is my gauge was showing no pressure at idle, not low, none. I added an aftermarket pressure gauge with a new sender. It read 0 at idle. I changed the sender again. Same thing. I purchased a pressure tester and it showed 0 at idle.

Well, with the new pressure tester at idle at 200 degrees is showing a constant 10lbs of pressure at about 600rpm.

Not sure if the oil was an issue, the cranshaft bolt or the tester. Maybe a combination.

Either way, thanks for your input.

Now to take it for a long drive and see if the pressure stays where it should be at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom