Oem soft top heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I'm going to install an oem soft top soon. Thinking about going on a road trip and I am wondering what people use other than the stock heater to stay warm?

I know TLC says this heater is better than the stock but it's pricey:

- Moal Coachbuilders -

For now I am planning on installing heated seats. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Why do you need more heat? My truck is plenty comfortable with the stock front heater and the soft top. You could put up a windjammer to keep heat in the front and you could install a stock rear heater for additional heat.

I dont have a top now and I'm in CA. So I guess that is what I'm asking do I need more than what is provided heat wise if I head out east. If not that's great. That windjammer is interesting I'll look into that thanks.

Mike

Yeah, an open truck can get cold, but it's not bad with a soft top and doors. A windjammer keeps more of the heat up front and seems to dampen the noise a little.

I like the idea of the windjammer but i agree with some of the reviewers - major blindspots. Doesnt help I have the small round side view mirrors and cant see anything. Maybe I'll make shift something similar to the windjammer with something clear.

Thanks,
Mike

I add a thin felt carpet underlay between my top and bows last year. I did it to keep the condensation down when I slept in the truck and it did insulate a decent bit. You could add a layer of thinsulate and it would help even more.

You outside leg gets the coldest. If your doing lots of highway driving I'd go the old fashioned way- bring a small wool blanket for your left side. The only time I feel cold in my truck is at highway speeds in the mountains.

Also make sure your heater vent is sealed well. The the fresh air flap is not well sealed you'll be blowing unheated air into the cabin.

The heater that you showed doesn't seem to have any provisions for defrosting so I don't think it will do you any good.

A clear plastic sheet hung from the middle bow that can be unfurled as needed will help a bunch too. We did that in my friends mitsu jeep which had the most anemic heater blower I've ever seen and it worked great.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Yes that is a problem with the Moal heater no defrost.

Those all sounds like good ideas. And i thought of the clear barrier after spotcruiser's recommendation of the windjammer bc i remembered seeing your temporary clear top recently in one of the posts.

Thx,
Mike

i run an oem top... upper north east... including VT for a while... always just had the oem heater and rear heater

its always been enough ... a buddy used to run just a bikini top for years his DD (he lives in VT) several years ago he started using a bestop (no doors) :)

I guess it really depends on your 'comfort' zone :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom