Nurture My Pig! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruisin' Along...

I remember reading on a hot rod site a while ago that a disassembled car takes up the space of intact three cars. Most be more like four with a pig!

I was growing tired of having to move all of my junk in and out of the 55 every time I wanted to work on it. So, I built this dolly and a bunch more shelving in the garage.

Once cleaned out, I cut out / ground away all bracketry.

Then I cut the skins off of the rear to be able to get a hammer and dolly on them. My mom backed into a tree back in the late 70's and my dad bondoed it up in the 80's. It was cracking all over (my dad applying it too thick) and attracting alot of moisture (old paint), but still sticking amazing well to the steel.

I was thinking I might like to learn to lead, but I'll probably go with bond in the end. I think I'm going to be a much better body man once I get that rear straightened out.
zdolly.jpg
floor.jpg
rear.jpg

Looking good! Feel lucky thats your first nail, i must be accident prone, i've lost 2 thumb nails and a few toe nails...lol

Hey Travis,

The shop looks clean and organized, so what's the plan? Sounds like you're going full tilt with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Good luck and keep it on the fun side, Ron

I love a nice clean garage! It makes every project look doable. When I first heard you lament the rust issues I thought, boy! You're up against it, but now that I look at your scene I think you're gonna crush it with style!

Looking good! Feel lucky thats your first nail, i must be accident prone, i've lost 2 thumb nails and a few toe nails...lol

Thanks. My fingers have been burned, ripped, cut, smashed, bruised and battered. I even shot a 2 1/2 framing nail through one of them, but this is my first lost nail.

Hey Travis,

The shop looks clean and organized, so what's the plan? Sounds like you're going full tilt with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Good luck and keep it on the fun side, Ron

Yeah, like the idea of going big wit hit, but still not completely sold on the idea.

The plan is to see if I can fab up a decent looking body from what I've got.

If that fails, I'll either:

a) Scrap the body, focus on the frame and drivetrain, then buy a nice donor tub.

b) Turn it into a truck, a la LAMBCRUSHER.

c) Scrap it all and start working on a '50 Shoebox Ford ;)

I love a nice clean garage! It makes every project look doable. When I first heard you lament the rust issues I thought, boy! You're up against it, but now that I look at your scene I think you're gonna crush it with style!

Yeah, I can't function in chaos very well, I need a clean work area. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Lots to do still, but I it's fun. I still go back to how you tackled your rear for reference.

Last edited:
focus on your frame and drive train...I'll bet you can do an alright body if not find the arse end of one to stitch in-that is if you can't live with where it's at now...if you do a pick-up, go removable hardtop

Removable hardtop? What kind of fab skill do you think I've got?!?!?;)

I like the idea of just living with pretty close to as is. Instead of trying to repair all of the rust in and around the tailgate, I was thinking of doing something like the prerunner guys do.

TireGate-PreRunner-Series-Spare-Tire-Carrier-All-Trucks-for-sale_320696826739.jpg

now you've got me thinkin...

I'll have to say that I have to watch myself sometimes...it can be a slippery slope:lol: Altho I AM a pie-rat:doh: I am not the full blown tube frame pieces of skin to hint at what it used to be kinda guy. I just really think toyota should have done a more utilitarian version of this old beast. my biggest question now, is do I get the 73 chassis with my old 77 pig body on it running to get it registered and the RESWAP bodies to keep the 77 on her chassis and then do a full correct resto(with exception to engine and axles-all yota still) on it, or do I keep the 77 body on the 73 chassis and do a non correct resto- save myself some skin and have the bonus of the cherry wagon on the no-smog chassis. :rolleyes: as I said, slippery slope.:meh: a guys gotta have SOME type of ego, right? and NEVER look back;)

Travis,

I'm thinking about practicing with Bob's sheet metal parts, on the 69.

This is my " following Pighead " truck, that's enough fun for me. :)

IMG_1741.jpg

Bob,

Yea both mine, that's why I don't feel the need to think about something like Travis is doing. His is going to be a full time project and I'm stretched thin now. The big boy, in the back is a 2 1/2 ton 6x6, when you really need to get somewhere.

back on trac...

bobbd 55.jpg

you could use some 1/8"diamond to make a sort of tailgate/hatch thing across the back and build a diamond plate platform bumper that goes all the way to the end of the frame and is deep enough to hold your spare/fuel/jack on top of it w/out overhanging the bumper, heck maybe even leaving room for a step-up with the thing all loaded up...You could use some rectangular or square material to fab uprights-use them as the endcaps to the body panels, the support for the tailgate frame, AND the support for your tire/fuel rack hinges all at the same time, and keep the tank down under where it was...how much room do you have from the back of where the bulkhead material will be to the end of the body panels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom