Now what broke? repairs, mods, need help etc. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope this disease going around Lutz doesn't make its way over to me, I have enough on my rig to deal with

Austin was kind enough to bring me a donor motor so I can pull that head take it to be machined and just swap it out with mine once it's done. I think we scared my truck. when I started it to move it so we could back his trailer up to my garage it didn't make a single odd sound. I drove it to work today and again runs great.. I'm still gonna take the head to the machine shop and do the head swap but this is just weird.

Power steering pump gear???

who me. totally wrong place for the noise. it was defiantly on the exhaust cam side around cylinder 5 or 6. my only guess was a stuck lifter that's not stuck anymore. I've been driving it everyday and it sounds great. Also ordered everything to rebuild my rear end and fix that broken leaky stud on my third so I may be getting it dirty again soon.

So I recently won a couple of HID off road lights from Down South Motorsports. They are Baja Designs SolTec PreRunner model. I took the opportunity to upgrade my light harness and aux harness via Slee from the IPF/previous owner weirdness. Haven't taken them out on the road yet but I like them so far. Much sleeker looking. Definitely will add 1-2mpg and 5 mph for sure...

image-3126227700.jpg

image-3126227700.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20130704_114339_861_zps4cefd4cc.jpg
I finally got around to fixing what I broke in Tennessee . Justin came and helped, we replaced the driveshaft, pinion seal, broken third member stud, and all the bearings and seals in the rear axle.

IMG_20130704_123743_805_zpsd84190a8.jpg

I was straddling a boulder when I lost traction and slid sideways off one rock and the one I was straddling hit just right to snap that stud.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Marlin Crawler Toybox .....

Any thoughts , suggestions , I wouldn't do that or hell yea go for it dude ?

I vote go for it

There is nothing cooler than when Jerry goes into crawl mode, I say hell yeah

I'm thinking Marlin Crawler Toybox .....

Any thoughts , suggestions , I wouldn't do that or hell yea go for it dude ?

If I had to do it over again, I would go a different route. My situation might be slightly different than you because of my vehicle weight being more.

I've destroyed two Toyboxes. Marlin was great about it and covered one under warranty and gave me really good break on the cost the second time.
I'm now afraid to put much torque to it.

It's a great product for a lighter vehicle.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get an Atlas and run a centered diff.
Hell, I still might someday. Maybe next vehicle.

In prep for my larger tires I had to cut off some of the frame to make room for the the front tires.

P9140008.JPG

Had the tires installed but I still rubbed so today I pushed the caster adjust 4degrees on my upper control arms and hacked at the mount some more. I also banged flat a body weld seem. All somewhat anticipated from other build threads. I clear at full turn but not by much as the picture shows below. Going back to firestone where I have the lifetime alignment to get everything trued up.

PA200056.JPG

I put everything back together and as I was yanking the jack stand I spy this.

PA200067.JPG

My LCA Brackets took a beating. The metal must be fatiguing because they were not tilting that bad after GSMTR.

So I found these puppies online.

WELD ON 1/4" plate LCA mount that is ramped to get up over the rocks as well

chlb.jpg

These will fit my johnny joint LCA so says the website. My 110volt MIG is not going to work on this. This will have to wait until December after a couple business trips and it cools to a point I don't sweat out 5 lbs working in my garage. It never is dull even when you only wheel at McDonalds.

Last edited:
I have a 220V you are welcome to use, that bracket looks trashed!

Damn! Luis has a plasma cutter too...

I need something like that LCA mount for my truck too. I've been thinking about using some square tubing cut to make the same kind of 'ramp' for rocks and to protect the LCA's mount...

Show us a pic of your new tires!

Thats what I'd like to do. Seems like most people say that might not be a good idea if under 35" tires. Unfortunately, I fall into that category at the moment.

Here is a late picture of new tires.
2013_11_10_FJC.JPG

Old and new tires
2013_11_10_Tirecomparison.JPG

Had to modify spare tire carrier to fit my old 285 on the BBS rim.
2013_11_10_SpareTireHolder.JPG

My 285 that I am using as a spare weighs 85 Lbs. The 315s weigh a whopping 106 Lbs. My Last two tanks only went 200 miles around town! If you own a diesel vehicle make sure you lock it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom