Not sure what to think about this??? "MUST HAVE" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Threads
Can someone close help this guy out.

He has mistakenly attached an "extension/breather" to his AC drain. And thus will continue to get water inside the cab.

Looks like I jumped the gun with my thread. So, can water get into the cab through the drain line? Is it worth addressing with something like a one-way check valve as opposed to an extension?

Depends,

I've never seen a one way valve attached to one. I have seen extensions to keep it from dripping on the frame where it does as it can rust one of your sway bar bolts badly.

Thing is the evap box is pretty sealed. Not waterproof per-say but sealed well usually in two halves. So I am not at the least worried about water coming in if keeping everything closed and blower fan on high to try and create a positive pressure. Esp in the depth he went in.

Way to fast also, he clearly plowed through his own wake and is kind of a no-no.

Can someone close help this guy out.

He has mistakenly attached an "extension/breather" to his AC drain. And thus will continue to get water inside the cab.

he lives near me! I see him from time to time.

I'd think if you had a well-secured drain line going DOWN, and the windows and sunroof closed (would be dumb to do that crossing with them open), the air pressure would keep the water out for more than long enough. Even without a drain line, the water would only get into the housing for the evap core. You'd have a problem if you got stuck in the water for a longer period of time, but you are getting water inside anyway if that happens, I'd think.

I will be interested to see how his a/c works in the summer with not moisture outlet he is going to be running it one day and have nice large puddle on that side. If he had a nice steady pace going through he would have limited the water entry into the cabin as well. as others have said keep pressure up inside the cabin with the blower on recirc would have helped. Not sure I would be posting that video on youtube.

So to digress - if your Cruiser gets stuck doing that crossing in winter, how the heck do you get out of that? Winch ~3 tons of wet, dead Cruiser out of a decently moving river in winter with snowy, muddy banks? You'd probably get hypothermia in the water just hooking it up!

So to digress - if your Cruiser gets stuck doing that crossing in winter, how the heck do you get out of that? Winch ~3 tons of wet, dead Cruiser out of a decently moving river in winter with snowy, muddy banks? You'd probably get hypothermia in the water just hooking it up!

The rule of thumb is if you are not sure the depth of the water you always attempt checking it out on foot and at least inspecting it! You never just go tearing through like he did, however another rig was in front of him so maybe he saw them go through and thought it was ok. You should go moderately paced and you saw his front bumper pushing a wake out in front, you want your front tires to stay behind that wake if at all possible, when he gunned it for the deep end and caused the water to come up over the hood was not really cool at all. Maybe he was afraid of the depth and knew from the earlier rig he wanted to give it the beans?

Either way someone should reach out and tell him he just sacrificed his AC drain but can get it back to normal and he also needs to find the exact entry point of the H2O.

I'd also politely recommend a set if FSMs. They can be had on eBay for about the same price of those Tundra steelies :D

Last edited:
he lives near me! I see him from time to time.

Please stop him and tell him he just extended the drain line to his A/C evaporator and NOT his "heater core intake". His first clue would have been the A/C 'hard line' going into the firewall right next to that drain.

His 'Wife" is going to be displeased again this summer when the evaporator box fills up with water (condensation). Hope she has a sense of humor.

Hahah okay I mean at least he tried...right? All he's gotta do is turn the elbow 180* and bring the hose down to the rocker panel so the condensate drips on the ground.

I cannot believe a person who has no clue about the AC drain or the heater core driving through a river. He talks about the momentum, which is for sure going to help but can also destroy the truck if he hits a rock or something.

I cannot believe a person who has no clue about the AC drain or the heater core driving through a river.

Yup "Heater Core Inlet Tube"............!

Sad thing is....in the video at his garage, it looks like he's got a vintage Porsche (possibly a 912) he is working on too. Feel sorry for that thing.

If you think this is funny, then you should watch his method of loosening lug nuts on the Porsche. He has his wife climb in it while it's up on jack stands and put the beaks on so he can break them loose.

If he had a snorkel and crossed cautiously, the water would probably not enter the AC drain. It was the speed that forced the water into his cabin.

I don't think it came in through the a/c drain most likely the door it self or possibly the cowl there was no wake to actually push water away from the vehicle the approach was way to fast.

I don't think it came in through the a/c drain most likely the door it self or possibly the cowl there was no wake to actually push water away from the vehicle the approach was way to fast.

Do you get water through the door when you cross water in your snorkeled beast?

Do you get water through the door when you cross water in your snorkeled beast?

In my 80 I still get a small amount of water if I do a river crossing because my door seals suck it is inevitable but it doesnt flood my truck. When doing a water crossing it is all about patience and control of speed. I don't get water in my intake though with my snorkel. There is alot to waterproof if you are doing a water crossing period if it is something you are going to do often on a gas truck you have to look at waterproofing distributor and other electrical components if the dizzy gets wet you could end up being stuck in the middle of the body of water.

Such a huge volume of water coming over the hood and breaking over the windshield I suspect water entered through the fresh air intake grate at the edge of the hood and windshield. In small amounts the ducting drains water before it can get inside, but flood it and it's got to go somewhere.

There is also body plugs just under the foot pan which are not water really tight- plastic plugs the pop out and those can leak if they are under water pressure.

The idea water could back up the AC drain is plausable if sitting still in water that is above the drain, but not realistic in this situation.

That dude is lucky, could have turned out really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom