Noob Dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After being interested in 100 series for some years, but being discouraged by their prices, I got a 2001 4runner a few months ago and the thing has been great. I mostly gave up on my quest for a cruiser... until the other day I saw a 2002 200k mile southern owned, rust-free, one-owner for sale in my local area, for what I thought was a great price. Without a second thought, I contacted the seller and bought the truck within a few hours for $9200. Problem is, now that I've come down off the high from the initial purchase, I'm realizing that this thing might end up costing more than I originally anticipated. It needs a new timing belt, tires, work on the interior, new head unit, and some general TLC.

Now the question is, do I keep the cheap and solid 4runner and unload the money-pit LC, or do I get my money out of the 4runner to put it into the LC?

I like the cruiser, and I think it'd be cooler and longer-lasting than the 4runner, but is every dollar I put into this thing just burned, or could it be considered anything other than the worlds worst investment?

Any insight are appreciated.
resized 1.jpg
image001.jpg
image009.jpg
image012.jpg

that’s a choice only you can make…but do expect to pay at least 5K on top of the cost of the car to bring it up to spec. If you do your own work, it might save you a bit of money. If you don’t need the space or are happy with the 4Runner, sell the cruiser

Assuming you’ve asked the same question in the 4Runner section to get a better spread of opinions … because that’s all they are really … listen to that little voice in the back of your head, it’s got you this far in life. Good Luck!

that’s a choice only you can make…but do expect to pay at least 5K on top of the cost of the car to bring it up to spec. If you do your own work, it might save you a bit of money. If you don’t need the space or are happy with the 4Runner, sell the cruiser
I guess my question is - if I were to put another 5k into the LC, how much would it actually be worth? Was it a really a deal at $9200 in the first place, or if I put another 5k into the thing, am I only going to be able to get out ~10-12k?

Assuming you’ve asked the same question in the 4Runner section to get a better spread of opinions … because that’s all they are really … listen to that little voice in the back of your head, it’s got you this far in life. Good Luck!
I've listened to that voice in the back of my head for too long - he's always wrong!

Don’t think of it as an investment. It’s not. and no, you won’t get out of it what you put in, in relative terms. The LC without a doubt will be more costly to own and maintain than their 4R.

Having said that.. the LC is a very special vehicle.. and it’s all about the experience IMO.. not dollars and cents

Tires look OK, headunit is $300 (Atoto), camo seat covers $200, all fluids baselined $200 (DIY), timing belt kit $200 (DIY) … spend $1k immediately, get your hands greasy and it’s worth $12-13k … you’re already ahead of the game with a baselined LC that will only cost you petrol until the tires need replacing … easy choice from my armchair 😇

I think I agree with @Africaster on this one. If you're cool with gettin' down and dirty and are open to the experience, keep the Cruiser and fix it up for yourself without the thoughts of how much money it'll be worth afterwards. Both are great platforms though.

You could sell both and join the GX460/Prado 150 club though :D

I think you got a fair deal on the LC. If you do all the work yourself you might be able to fix it for a profit and get paid for your labor.

I was looking at 13-16k for a well maintained LC100, ~250k miles, paint not peeling off. That‘s what I would have paid.

I bought for 8.5k, 270k miles, no rust, dull paint, sunroof not always working, scratches in front and rear bumper.

Now invested a few k in Dobinson, just ordered rear bumper and roof from Dissent, swapped a CV axle and quite some stuff is still ahead of me.

Why?
Because we have a 7-seater (or a big trunk, whatever we need with a family of 4), more space, a super capable vehicle and one of the most reliable engines Toyota ever made with a 4.7l that‘s hard to beat stock.

I think one of the most important questions is how much you can do yourself. And if that‘s the only car you have and it NEEDS to run any time.
We bought the car well knowing a 23 yo/ 270k old car will cause Maintainance topics.

Perhaps you can have both checked by a mechanic and see what serious stuff needs to be done. Compare price and decide.

Tires look OK, headunit is $300 (Atoto), camo seat covers $200, all fluids baselined $200 (DIY), timing belt kit $200 (DIY) … spend $1k immediately, get your hands greasy and it’s worth $12-13k … you’re already ahead of the game with a baselined LC that will only cost you petrol until the tires need replacing … easy choice from my armchair 😇
That's another problem... I'm not very mechanically inclined and can't really see myself doing anything DIY.

I was looking at 13-16k for a well maintained LC100, ~250k miles, paint not peeling off. That‘s what I would have paid.

I bought for 8.5k, 270k miles, no rust, dull paint, sunroof not always working, scratches in front and rear bumper.

Now invested a few k in Dobinson, just ordered rear bumper and roof from Dissent, swapped a CV axle and quite some stuff is still ahead of me.

Why?
Because we have a 7-seater (or a big trunk, whatever we need with a family of 4), more space, a super capable vehicle and one of the most reliable engines Toyota ever made with a 4.7l that‘s hard to beat stock.

I think one of the most important questions is how much you can do yourself. And if that‘s the only car you have and it NEEDS to run any time.
We bought the car well knowing a 23 yo/ 270k old car will cause Maintainance topics.

Perhaps you can have both checked by a mechanic and see what serious stuff needs to be done. Compare price and decide.
I really can't do much myself, it'd have to be pretty much all shop labor, but I'm not really in a rush as it'll be a second vehicle anyway. It's not even like I have a large family to transport, or lots of overlanding to do, I just like the idea of a bulletproof cruiser that'll last forever. Just now sure how much that's worth...

@NoRust

"I've listened to that voice in the back of my head for too long - he's always wrong!"

"""Remember a LandCruiser will always be that car that you wished you Never Ever had sold it :bang:"""

:cheers:

Then the 100 will bleed you dry.
My understanding has always been that the 100's are bulletproof, reliable, etc. I thought if I got enough done in one shot from a shop I'd be good to go for another ~100k miles - not so much the case?

Reliable Yes, cheap to own NOT at ALL!

Love my money pit.

Sincerely,
White collar guy who can’t mechanic.

But you’re not talking a ton of money. $1200 for the timing belt 90k

What else does it need?

Last edited:
Reliable Yes, cheap to own NOT at ALL!

Love my money pit.

Sincerely,
White collar guy who can’t mechanic.
Any more info on this cost to own? Just as a pavement princess second vehicle? How *much* of a money pit are we talking?

My understanding has always been that the 100's are bulletproof, reliable, etc. I thought if I got enough done in one shot from a shop I'd be good to go for another ~100k miles - not so much the case?

Don’t forget you’re talking about a 22 year old luxury SUV with 200k on it. Get ready to spend some money up front and be prepared for costs that inevitably will come up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom