No TSL's? Now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone ever wheeled with both tsl's and pit bulls? I looked at the pits and just can't see them performing like a tsl. Lots of loose hill climbs around here require massive tread gaps and horsepower...

I've wheeled them everywhere...PA, CO, UT, NV, TN, MO, MN, WI, IL, IN, TX, AR, OK, etc...the Rockers worked everywhere. They were a better mud tire than the Maddogs I currently run actually...

The silly looking tread pattern on the Rockers will find traction

I also heard that Interco was going out of business. Sad if it's true as they are supposedly one of the last American tire makers.

p.s., I passed you guys heading into Gerlach, as I was heading out of it. I also posted some KK pics as you asked in the kimberly thread in the trailer section.
I really got a lot of use out of my TSL's, I bought them used for $400 with rims and wheeled them for three years. Lucky for me they were properly grooved before I bought them because I wouldn't have know how to to it myself. Even as worn as they are they were hooking up better than my buddies MTR's last week in Bronco Canyon.

Sorry we didn't see you. We ran into Spresso & Co Saturday in Gerlach, we we're topping up before heading down Smoke Creek way the were topping off before heading up north.

I've wheeled them everywhere...PA, CO, UT, NV, TN, MO, MN, WI, IL, IN, TX, AR, OK, etc...the Rockers worked everywhere. They were a better mud tire than the Maddogs I currently run actually...

They weigh a good deal less than sx's, looking at the specs. That makes me think that they aren't as tough. They also don't looks that great...silly looking tread pattern indeed. I would have to go with 37 x 13.5s. I'm not ready for a 39.5 right now. I don't know...I've never seen anyone wheeling with them around here. Do you have experience with a similar size tsl to compare them with?

That is a strong endorsement. Glad you posted it because I was looking at the Maddogs instead of the rockers.

It looks like the Rocker open tread design would be great in mud or snow. Plus there is a ton of siping which would help on ice and rocks. The huge lugs on the edges look like they would chunk pretty bad though.

It looks like the Rocker open tread design would be great in mud or snow. Plus there is a ton of siping which would help on ice and rocks. The huge lugs on the edges look like they would chunk pretty bad though.

mine have only a couple...but as much as I used them, it's expected...and for those who saw their debut in Tellico a handful of years back, I don't use reverse much ;)

They weigh a good deal less than sx's, looking at the specs. That makes me think that they aren't as tough. They also don't looks that great...silly looking tread pattern indeed. I would have to go with 37 x 13.5s. I'm not ready for a 39.5 right now. I don't know...I've never seen anyone wheeling with them around here. Do you have experience with a similar size tsl to compare them with?

had 38.5 SX's...I'd say they are similar in toughness. The Rockers had better overall traction IMO...they worked well on all surfaces. Sidewalls on mine are all scarred up, but nothing to the cords.

The Maddogs I run now are a better rock tire, and seem to hold a line better, but the Rockers beat them for all around and for mud. (mis-marketing on Pitbull's part, Mike and I have joked about it for some time...lol)

Both kicked butt on Pismo Beach in 2wd :D

If you were close to WI, you could take 'em for a test run....the 37's are in storage on 17x9 TrailReady's waiting for a future rig to install them on...I liked them too much to sell them when I went to the Maddogs.

Woody, your posts are tempting me to cancel my sx order and buy some rockers...you aren't getting a kickback from Pitbull are you? lol

Woody, your posts are tempting me to cancel my sx order and buy some rockers...you aren't getting a kickback from Pitbull are you? lol

I'm starting to lean toward them too. The only question in my mind is what their road manners are, I don't think woody's truck sees too many highway miles.

Their road manners are a heck of a lot better than swampers...

Any off road tires are not going to be as good as a street tire on road. They will be noisy and probably not wear as well as a BFG AT.

But at least they will be round ;)

Round is good, I speak from experience.

The noise for Rusty WILL be an issue I think!!!:rolleyes:

(WTF are all these damn pop ups here lately!?!?!?!)

My only experience to speak of is my BFG MT's...I have ALWAYS had a little vibe between 35 and 45 MPH on the Blotch rig. The tires were VERY hard to balance from what I gather. It would seem that any agressive tire will have some down side on the street.
However...WTF are you worried about? ANYTHING will be a marked improvement over you bias ply TSL's!:D:flipoff2:

the noise for rusty will be an issue i think!!!:rolleyes:

(wtf are all these damn pop ups here lately!?!?!?!)

my only experience to speak of is my bfg mt's...i have always had a little vibe between 35 and 45 mph on the blotch rig. The tires were very hard to balance from what i gather. It would seem that any agressive tire will have some down side on the street.
However...wtf are you worried about? Anything will be a marked improvement over you bias ply tsl's!:d:flipoff2:
what? Huh? Speak up!

my Rockers had more tread after 3 years than my IROK's did after 3 events...ran 39 IROK's in early 2004 and sold them before the tread ground away.

the 37x13.5-17's Rockers I have still have great tread life remaining...my current 39x14.5-17 Maddogs are wearing, but they are a 'non-production' compound...expecting to replace them at 3 years or so...

The Rockers proved themselves many times for traction...
Same size I have.
So far, thay are AWESOME.

I ran 38.5 tsl/sx's for a while, but they do suck on road. I replaced with 37 x 12.50 truxxus radials and they work great on and off road, and i will buy them again when these wear out. They also kick arse in the snow !
I don't wheel as hard as i used to, but i think they are stickier than the tsl/sx IMO.
The pitbulls are awesome as well, i just did not want the width. If they had a 38 x 12.50 i would prolly be running them.

The width is the only thing stopping me from ordering a set of Pit Bulls.
I already have the turn stops cranked out for the Swampers, I'd hate to lose more turning radius.

my 39X14.50-17LT's on 17x9's with 3.5" backspacing just rub the springs at full lock....1-1/2" spacers on a stock width FJ40 front axle...(58" WTW w/ spacers)

NO steering stops either...lots of folks comment on how sharp my 40 turns :)

normal_DSC_4800_%28Large%29.JPG

photo next to Texican's 37x14.5" Toyo's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom