No more light behind the Speedometer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
pg.photos.yahoo.com
When I recently took out the instrument panel of my 62 to install a CB radio, I had to unplug all the lights and gauges etc. When I put everything back together, it all works fine except for the lights in the speedometer. They are plugged in and everything, and worked fine before. Now, no light.
One night one of the lights in the back of the gauge magicly started working, but now it's back to nothing. Any ideas? Thanks

Mike

Assuming that no damage was done to the wiring/bulb sockets/etc, I'd just replace the bulbs. They are cheap. Electrical connections can go bad over time. The tiny wires can break. Be super careful when you install the new ones. Make sure the bulb socket in installed correctly.

Do all the electrical connections look clean/bright?

What love said + test 'em by plugging in the wiring harnesses before you put the speedo cable back on.

You can use spray electrical cleaner on the bulb contacts but I think you'll have a hard time cleaning them otherwise.

I've had my speedo lights go off on me 2 or 3 times......all I did was hit the dash above it and they started working again.

Thanks, guys. I'll look into some of this. I guess I'll start by checking for power at the light socket (voltmeter, right?). Although, I don't see how it could be the bulbs unless they're a lot more fragile than I thought. I'll see what I can do...

Mike

CTiger said:
Although, I don't see how it could be the bulbs unless they're a lot more fragile than I thought. I'll see what I can do...

Mike

Ya well good point. Is it only the speedo bulb? Do the other bulbs (guages, tach) work? The problem is almost certainly related to the work that you did behind the dash. Bulbs are cheap, and easy to change, so no harm trying it. If that doesn't fix it, then the solution is to retrace what you did and find where you bumped/broke something. A voltmeter or a electrical test lamp would be really useful.

lovetoski said:
Ya well good point. Is it only the speedo bulb? Do the other bulbs (guages, tach) work? The problem is almost certainly related to the work that you did behind the dash. Bulbs are cheap, and easy to change, so no harm trying it. If that doesn't fix it, then the solution is to retrace what you did and find where you bumped/broke something. A voltmeter or a electrical test lamp would be really useful.

The lights work in all gauges but the speedometer. I will try changing the bulbs/checking contacts/checking for power. Thanks!

Mike

rove_mcanus said:
might sound dumb but you didn't knock the dimmer knob did you? i always bump mine with my knee, and it always ends up on minimum (no) light

I wish I could say that, but my dimmer switch doesn't work. :eek: And the other gauges are bright....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom