Nitto TG vs. Bridgestone Revo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What about the Toyo Open Country A/T? Anybody have snow, ice, rain, on/off-road experiences to share? macneill is running them...but I don't think he's had them in the snow/ice yet.

My dad bought Revo ATs for his LX450 after getting some advice here on Mud. On his last trip to visit he said he had a vibration in the front end and wanted me to look at it. I started checking bearings, steering, etc... It turned out the tires were delaminating. All 4 but the fronts were a lot worse. The tread was cracking right at the tread on the upper sidewall. Maybe his were a fluke? But needless to say neither he or I will be buying another set.

I will report back on the performance of the AT-S when I drive my mom's 4runner in snow and ice type conditions this winter. I will have the benefit of using the ATII's, BFG ATKO's, and REVOS under similar conditions. Hopefully the feedback will be useful. So I can't say from personal experience these tires are good in snow/ice conditions. My brother liked them, but I haven't tried them myself.

I look forward to hearing from you, because your feedback is far more relevant. I am a big Yokohama fan and was seriously contemplating these when they came out, but the lack of biting edges and siping caused me to steer clear.

I'm also seriously thinking about getting the AT/S on my old 4Runner, which currently has 80K mi on the 5 pro comp AT's (which I can tell you totally suck on icy road and interstates that collect water...think fish tailing on the interstate between El Paso and Abilene). The AT/S are only $102 at the Tirerack in 31/10.5/15's while the revo's are like $160 each. If I don't get the yokohama's, I'll likely get BFG AT's though the tread pattern looks like they won't be good in water.

My last tires were Nittos. I liked the ride and the aggresive look when they were new. But, as they wore i wished I had bought a deeper lug MT.

What about the Toyo Open Country A/T? Anybody have snow, ice, rain, on/off-road experiences to share? macneill is running them...but I don't think he's had them in the snow/ice yet.

From another expert:), these are awesome but expensive in the 18's. I haven't had serious snow experience in them but they worked well in the little bit I did have. I have 27,000 on them and they look like they will go another 27k. They are siped and grip great in the rain. They are quiet on road.

My dad bought Revo ATs for his LX450 after getting some advice here on Mud. On his last trip to visit he said he had a vibration in the front end and wanted me to look at it. I started checking bearings, steering, etc... It turned out the tires were delaminating. All 4 but the fronts were a lot worse. The tread was cracking right at the tread on the upper sidewall. Maybe his were a fluke? But needless to say neither he or I will be buying another set.

I noticed this on my Revo's as well about a week ago! I had tried to locate a number for Bridgestone to call them directly about it, but have had no luck. I'm going to likely just have to go back to sears.

It looks like the start of tread separation. All 4 of my tires have it. I'd say about 8K on the tires. How old are yours?

rich

I look forward to hearing from you, because your feedback is far more relevant. I am a big Yokohama fan and was seriously contemplating these when they came out, but the lack of biting edges and siping caused me to steer clear.

I'm in a drier climate and I think the Yokohamas are the perfect tire out here. You are probably right the additional siping on other tires is good, however my Geolander ATII's have limited siping and stuck real well. I don't know what to think...

There are plenty of good tire choices right now.

There were quite a few guys running the Yokos on 80 series rigs in Moab. The consensus was that they were a good tire in that type of condition and had good road manners with the advantage of being relatively inexpensive.

I finally decided to quit analyzing and buy another set of Nitto TG's today in the 295/75R16 size. Mine have lasted a little over 50K but are worn done to between 3/32" and 5/32" at this point. I will be driving 400-500 miles in some potentially nice new snow in the Rockies next week and don't want to try it with my worn out tires! :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom